Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Anyone work at COOK or PALISADES in MICHIGAN???  

Author Topic: Anyone work at COOK or PALISADES in MICHIGAN???  (Read 4094 times)

dieselman

Anyone work at COOK or PALISADES in MICHIGAN???
« on: Nov 08, 2010, 11:56 »
I am graduating LMC with their nuclear energy program.. i have already passed the POSS test and was wondering if anyone knew a contact there. Reading thru these posts I have no nuclear experience but 20 years of diesel equipment mechanic experience and would like to get into the diesel operations there. I have no idea where to start or what to do.. any advice would be awesome..

carberrylane@gmail.com

Jason

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Anyone work at COOK or PALISADES in MICHIGAN???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:12 »
Jason,

I'm sure you know that the proper channels are to submit your resume to AEP and Entergy via their career portal websites.  That's the 'best' we can offer you.  Perhaps your instructors in the program could help you with specific managers... but that's generally frowned on.  The only other advice I can give you is to practice for the interview when you do get it.  I'm told that the graduates are interviewing very poorly.  Make sure you practice all of the "Tell me about a time when [insert adversity here and how you overcame it]."

Additionally, it may help you to apply to the other non-nuclear power plants in the area.

tselby

« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:26 »
another possibility is Detroit Edison and working at Fermi 2.

but just dont limit yourself to these facilities branch out into the Fossil plants they provide good experience...

Offline wingnut

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2010, 07:41 »
Mechanical Maintenance does all the diesel work but there arent a lot of them to work on. Good mechanical skills are a plus. Going through "channels" IS the best way to get in.

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:04 »
Thought I'd give you a reminder that it was "Energy Production Technology" instead of a "Nuclear Energy" program, though some classes applied to Nuclear (such as Radiation Protection).  This was meant to widen the scope of where graduates could go (industry or geography).  Heck, the program currently offers Wind Energy classes too.

As Bulldog mentioned Fossil, there is that Natural Gas Plant across the Highway from Palisades.  Michigan has been in a rough spot long before the nation followed suit, but the opportunities do open up time to time.  You should also have read on this site that Utilities are known for taking a long time to hire.

I'm told that the graduates are interviewing very poorly.  Make sure you practice all of the "Tell me about a time when [insert adversity here and how you overcame it]."

That's unfortunate, Mike.  I asked a followup question to one of the instructors and found that even though it was mentioned that students would be "introduced to industry testing and interview practices", the method of introduction isn't optimal.  The instructor doesn't even meet with the class where it is introduced, so it seems like it rests ultimately on the individual to become familiar with them.  I'll have to see how it goes and see about giving feedback through the proper channels.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?