Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke At Crossroads. Looking at Getting out.

Author Topic: Navy Nuke At Crossroads. Looking at Getting out.  (Read 7064 times)

paslt

Navy Nuke At Crossroads. Looking at Getting out.
« on: Nov 12, 2010, 05:52 »
I am looking at the possibility of getting out.  What would be the best jobs to look for?  I am qualified EWS, QAS, Duty SK, Planner, Maintenance and QA Supervisor with 10 years of experience when I get out.  I will have my BS in Nuclear Engineering from Excelsior College.  I am currently a recruiter for the Navy in PA and I am in the top ten in the district in this area.  What would be the best route to go?

TN_LELT

Re: Navy Nuke At Crossroads. Looking at Getting out.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2010, 08:09 »
Just to be clear, the Nuclear Engineering Technology degree from Excelsior College is not equivalent to a Nuclear Engineering degree.  Engineering technology degrees are accredited by TAC of ABET, while engineering degrees are accredited by EAC of ABET.  Best to just call it what it is and not "church it up", especially on a resume. 

I too earned the Excelsior degree a while back, and spent a great deal of time thinking it was as good as an engineering degree and applying for jobs that I wasn't qualified for.  Once I accepted it for what it was and started looking at other angles to get into the industry, it proved pretty useful.  Just trying to help you avoid the headache.

nukeman58

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2010, 10:41 »
paslt - If Pennsylvania is where you want to be, and you want to explore the Nuclear Industry outside of 'operations', check out Westinghouse's job board (Brass Ring).  Get in on the Nuclear Renaissance.  As a hiring Manager in the Quality arena, the top attributes on my job postings are BS degree and Navy Nuclear experience, and not necessarily in that order.  I may be a little biased (26 year Navy Nuc - Subs -EMCS (SS) - LDO - LCDR), but so what?

Offline jimbo0697

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2010, 10:26 »
I'm not really looking at the Pa area although I wouldn't be opposed to it.  I would like to be in the south east Tn preferably. 

paslt

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2010, 10:28 »
Nukeman58- What would I do in that job field?  Is it similar to submarine QA?  I was the AQAO on my last submarine.  I currently live in Altoona, Pa as a recruiter.  I do have some time before I get out but I am debating between doing 20 years or getting out.  I currently have an application in the LDO field.  What are some of the pros with Westinghouse vice the Navy?

kliner

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:57 »
As a corporate recruiter for engineers and technicians transitioning from the military, I see LDO's do quite well when it comes time to move on from active duty.  Staying in is a huge decision and is more based on personal desire than advice from a stranger.

The best advice I have to give any job seeker is to be open to opportunities and decide what you can and can't compromise (i.e. location, salary, types of positions) and go from there.  One of the biggest mistakes I see fresh-outs make is saying, "I want 65k in Kansas City, Missouri and I only want to look at operator positions."  I completely understand knowing what you want and making it happen, but treat every career opportunity as a chance to network and practice at interviewing.  When interviewing you may discover other opportunities you never knew were available to you.  The idea is to build professional relationships and find out what is out there.  It is crazy to think you should get out and be able to find everything on your own.  Talking to others and networking is the key. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?