Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Timeline and expectations  

Author Topic: Timeline and expectations  (Read 11187 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Timeline and expectations
« on: Nov 18, 2010, 03:48 »
Hello everyone!  Havent been on here in a while.... :)

Anyway, I am confused about the process for hiring NLO's. YES I SEARCHED before you flame me about it :).

About 1 month ago, after no luck at finding OP's jobs, I decided to suck it up and go for RAD TECH 1/C. Got a quick invite to come down and take the test. Took the tech test, passed it. While im there, the HR lady asks me why im not applying for operations because i have a "Stellar background" (her words not mine). Long story short, she takes my resume to the OP's people for that plant. Another plant had NLO openings so I applied to that, and got test invite for the poss. Passed the POSS as well. Meanwhile, the Tech job is on "hold" status, and I havent heard anything in 3 weeks.  Is this normal? I dont want to hassle anyone, and I've called and gotten no response several times now. my "job postings" page says "To be interviewed", but I haven't heard anything yet. Im just annoyed because I have spent close to two thousand dollars on travel costs -.-.  

Lets say all goes well and I Get hired in, what schedule are the students on?  Also, what is average starting pay for NLO's? I keep seeing WILD ranges from 26$ to 43$ hourly. I assume there is a "Training pay" until you get qualified?  I merely asking because I am married and need to plan on how to take care of my family. I would do this job at 10$ an hour starting :).  I just want to know what to expect. EDIT: will they ask me what I "think i should be payed" or will they say "hey we will pay this much"???

Im nervous about everything! :(  thanks for any help.

edit 2:
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2010, 03:56 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Timeline and expectations
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2010, 08:40 »
Hello everyone!  Havent been on here in a while.... :)

Anyway, I am confused about the process for hiring NLO's. YES I SEARCHED before you flame me about it :).

About 1 month ago, after no luck at finding OP's jobs, I decided to suck it up and go for RAD TECH 1/C. Got a quick invite to come down and take the test. Took the tech test, passed it. While im there, the HR lady asks me why im not applying for operations because i have a "Stellar background" (her words not mine). Long story short, she takes my resume to the OP's people for that plant. Another plant had NLO openings so I applied to that, and got test invite for the poss. Passed the POSS as well. Meanwhile, the Tech job is on "hold" status, and I havent heard anything in 3 weeks.  Is this normal? I dont want to hassle anyone, and I've called and gotten no response several times now. my "job postings" page says "To be interviewed", but I haven't heard anything yet. Im just annoyed because I have spent close to two thousand dollars on travel costs -.-.  

Lets say all goes well and I Get hired in, what schedule are the students on?  Also, what is average starting pay for NLO's? I keep seeing WILD ranges from 26$ to 43$ hourly. I assume there is a "Training pay" until you get qualified?  I merely asking because I am married and need to plan on how to take care of my family. I would do this job at 10$ an hour starting :).  I just want to know what to expect. EDIT: will they ask me what I "think i should be payed" or will they say "hey we will pay this much"???

Depends upon where you are applying. Different plants have different schedules and different pay. Some work 4-10s in training until it's time to qualify, then on shift you go... Some plants pay a significantly lower wage during training, some just a couple bucks less. Some plants are union, and pay is defined in the contract, some are not, and it may be negotiable. So the answer is..... it depends...
Im nervous about everything! :(  thanks for any help.

edit 2:

Some thought you were - I gave up trying to even it up...

Good luck, hope things work out for you.
 :)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Sun Dog

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2010, 09:22 »

I would do this job at 10$ an hour starting :)

People who whine about the SNC compensation package should take note here.  If folks with "stellar backgrounds" would accept $10/hr why should employers pay more?  BTW, I believe it is paid, not payed.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:00 »
People who whine about the SNC compensation package should take note here.  If folks with "stellar backgrounds" would accept $10/hr why should employers pay more?  BTW, I believe it is paid, not payed.

I was merely trying to say this is the career that I want. Im not looking for a "job" anymore. I can get a job wherever I need to :) AND yes its PAID not payed. My cell phone inputs words for me. :)

Navy guys,............sheeeeesh!!!!!

I mean, lets be honest here, 10$ an hour would be a 300% markup ;)

EDIT: I dont give two hoots about the starting pay really. I know what they pay over the long haul. Im more concerned with scheduling and stuff like that.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2010, 11:41 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2010, 06:03 »
Wow Mr. Murphy, you just got smited nine more times since your post!  You must have been a very bad boy before you left.  I'll hold my karma back until I see what you are about.  Seems like DW likes you, that's strike one in my book!    :P Welcome back to Nukeworker!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2010, 12:47 »
Wow Mr. Murphy, you just got smited nine more times since your post!  You must have been a very bad boy before you left.  I'll hold my karma back until I see what you are about.  Seems like DW likes you, that's strike one in my book!    :P Welcome back to Nukeworker!
thank you :)

I like to speak my mind is all :) no place for tact on the internet ;).  I got my smites for telling it how it is really, of that I wont apologize for. That said, I was young and dumb and am much wiser then I was even three years ago. Still getting smited 7 times by one person, for one post is a bit much imo. oh well.

That said I received a random email from the hr today. Would it be uncouth to ask what they hire at?
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2010, 12:54 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2010, 12:55 »
That said I received a random email from the hr today. Would it be uncouth to ask what they hire at?

Yes, it is always bad form to bring up money on any occasion except for the "we'd like to make you an offer" discussion. Therefore, resolve in your mind what pay will get you to say yes, so that if you get a lowball offer you don't reflexively blurt out some career-inhibiting remark ( not that CycoticPenguin/NuclearJanitor/CharlieMurphy/TBA would do such a thing ;)  )

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2010, 01:02 »
Yes, it is always bad form to bring up money on any occasion except for the "we'd like to make you an offer" discussion. Therefore, resolve in your mind what pay will get you to say yes, so that if you get a lowball offer you don't reflexively blurt out some career-inhibiting remark ( not that CycoticPenguin/NuclearJanitor/CharlieMurphy/TBA would do such a thing ;)  )

haha :) Im not the same person in real life, honestly. I know when to shut up and look pretty lol.  Like I said previously, Im more concerned with schedule then money at this point. Believe it or not, people actually like me! :D haha    That said, good point, Ill keep my mouth shut about money. What about asking about schedules? Save that for the interview?

Offline Rock Chalk Jayhawk

• Light User
  • Stay positive, and love your life!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2010, 11:33 »
Yes. Scheduling always makes for a good "return fire" question. I did an interview w/SNC Tuesday that seemed (from my end at least) to go very well. They were very forthcoming about the schedule. Go for it!
"A shortcut's a self defeating means.  If you cannot do it clean, you'll never reach your reward. And when the day is done, what you receive is the sum of what you took out from what you put in." ~311

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2010, 12:29 »
haha :) Im not the same person in real life, honestly. I know when to shut up and look pretty lol.  Like I said previously, Im more concerned with schedule then money at this point. Believe it or not, people actually like me! :D haha    That said, good point, Ill keep my mouth shut about money. What about asking about schedules? Save that for the interview?

There are a few posts around here about different schedules, that can provide more specific rotational ino. You will be on one of two types of schedules; an 8 hour rotating shift where you do stints of days afternoons and mids or 12 hour rotating shifts where you do stinds of days and nights. The 8 hour shifts are usually 6 week cycles and the 12 hour shifts are usually 5 week cycles. Either way, it is a much better schedule than anything in the Navy. As indicated above, schedule is a fair question for the interview, money is not.

As for money, it just is what it is for NLO. You won't have any input into it, but it will be good no matter what, compared to the Navy. It will be anywhere from the mid 20's to mid 30's, with bumps along the way as you qualify. Every site is different and many things determine the starting pay, such as contracts.

As for being annoying by calling, I say it is YOUR career, go after it. I would be calling them every week until they gave me an answer one way or the other.

PS. If they ask you if you plan to one day get a license, say yes.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2010, 12:33 by JustinHEMI »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2010, 12:57 »
haha :) Im not the same person in real life, honestly. I know when to shut up and look pretty lol.  Like I said previously, Im more concerned with schedule then money at this point. Believe it or not, people actually like me! :D haha    That said, good point, Ill keep my mouth shut about money. What about asking about schedules? Save that for the interview?

1. Spare us

2. No need to bring it up at all. If you get the job, you will work whatever schedule is set. Since you have mentioned in previous posts that you are concerned about supporting your family (always a good choice), then schedule won't matter as long as the checks cash, right? In CIVLANTFLT, you will eventually get days off. Don't sweat schedule.

3. Try to surprise us all in a positive way by not acting there like here ;)

4. Get hot, nub! ;)

MacGyver

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:12 »

... ( not that CycoticPenguin/NuclearJanitor/CharlieMurphy/TBA would do such a thing ;)  )

haha :) Im not the same person in real life, honestly. I know when to shut up and look pretty lol.  ...

I would proffer "that" (re: knowing when to shut up) isn't true.  Hence the negative karma you have received.  My impression after researching your posts is that you don't know when to shut up or look pretty.  That doesn't mean you can't in person.  Just in a forum.  Which is all we know you.

Cheer up.  You're the one in charge of your own ship.  Set a course for (fill in the blank) and be happy.  Or, just stop making me want to gouge out my optic sensors.  Both would be just marvy.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2010, 10:44 »
I would proffer "that" (re: knowing when to shut up) isn't true.  Hence the negative karma you have received.  My impression after researching your posts is that you don't know when to shut up or look pretty.  That doesn't mean you can't in person.  Just in a forum.  Which is all we know you.

Cheer up.  You're the one in charge of your own ship.  Set a course for (fill in the blank) and be happy.  Or, just stop making me want to gouge out my optic sensors.  Both would be just marvy.

Damn MacGyver, what's up with that?!  You're usually so sweet and nice.  Do you know Mr. Murphy?  Is he really a jerk?  Man, if i left for a year and came back, I would pray to not have so much negativity so quickly. :P :P  I promise to be the best forum member I can be, yes I promise!  Sorry Mike, for being off topic.
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:33 »
Out of curiousity, if I meet the NRC requirements t obe a Direct SRO but, for whatever reason, go NLO, would I need to follow the normal path of NLO/RO/SRO or could spend 2-3 years as a NLO and then go straight into SRO?

tselby

« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:59 »
Out of curiousity, if I meet the NRC requirements t obe a Direct SRO but, for whatever reason, go NLO, would I need to follow the normal path of NLO/RO/SRO or could spend 2-3 years as a NLO and then go straight into SRO?

MMM

the normal path progression is exactly as you quoted NLO~RO~SRO, most utilities do the progression just as stated. To be able to jump from NLO to SRO I am sure is dependent on the company you work for and their specific policies governing such. Because NLO & RO positions are normally bargaining unit positions and SRO is an exempt (non bargaining unit) you may find it difficult to make the jump, the union contract may preclude the jump. If you choose the NLO position dont fret once qualified you will make along the same amount of money because of OT as a SRO may make because most SRO's are salaried employees who do not get OT (depending on the company) (some companies give SRO straight time for OT work). I am sure others can speak to this in greater detail.

Which company are you looking to hire in at, that may help narrow down a more specific answer depending on their policies..........

co60slr

« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2010, 11:01 »
I don't think there's anything prohibitive in the REGS; however, how long you spend as an AUO/NLO before doing anything is up to your management.   Otherwise, I'll guess and say that it depends on who they need more at the time...ROs or SROs.  In today's market, most need NLOs to upgrade to ROs.

In Navy terms, many E-5s don't get to qualify EWS.   However, one you're an E-6, that doesn't quarantee your CO is going to sign your qual card.   Same thing on this side of the fence.   There's a minimum requirement process where the standards above those NRC minimums are flexed based on the needs of the company.   Being a former EWS/EDPO as an NLO doesn't guarantee you anything.

I don't see either path as "losing".  We've all debated on here that doing a slow/controlled approach to SRO is much easier (for everyone) than the "Instant" process. 

Separately, for those reading this thread to enter this path one day:  2 years EWS/EDPO means you were qualified on your command and stood the watch to gain 2 years of experience.  The NRC (many who are also ex-Navy) has questioned those (at some utilities) with EWS/EDPO quals dated (on Pg 4) the day before you left your nuclear command for A-School.   Did you stand EWS/EDPO for 2 years then?  No.  Does this mean you can't qualify for Instant SRO?   No clue.  Just be aware that the blackjack dealer has a new card on the table while assessing your own hand.

Co60

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2010, 12:42 »

Liquid fuel said pretty much all of it. If you meet the requirements you meet the requirements. It will come down to your company's policy, but more importantly, your contract if you are union. The likelihood is very small.

That said, I know a couple of NLOs that got hired on at other utilities as instant SROs.

If you have a choice between instant SRO or NLO, go instant SRO. You aren't doing anything noble by going the NLO-RO-SRO route.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2010, 12:43 by JustinHEMI »

tselby

« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2010, 12:52 »
Also research the nureg requirements for SRO's, if i am not mistaken there is a certain amount of time one must be NLO and RO before one can go SRO.

Not that the prior Navy time standing EWS,RO,PPWS, EOOW don't qualify you, but the company you work for may not use those after you have qualified NLO.

the most likely situation as stated is that the union contract as an NLO will preclude you from making that jump.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2010, 12:53 by Liquid_fuel »

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2010, 03:02 »
Union Contracts have nothing to do with going to a Supervisory job.

In answer to your question, if you met the requirements to be an Instant SRO then hired in as an NLO, then at anytime during your training decided to bid an SRO position there is nothing that prevents it. I've seen it done a few times. It's 100% Legal.

NLO-RO-SRO will make you a far better SRO however if you want to be an SRO then go for it ASAP.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2010, 02:47 »
Yes. Scheduling always makes for a good "return fire" question. I did an interview w/SNC Tuesday that seemed (from my end at least) to go very well. They were very forthcoming about the schedule. Go for it!

good to hear, thanks! and good luck on your end too! :)

fair is fair. :) Im just frustrated at this hiring process right now. They sure are taking their sweet time xD

1. Spare us

2. No need to bring it up at all. If you get the job, you will work whatever schedule is set. Since you have mentioned in previous posts that you are concerned about supporting your family (always a good choice), then schedule won't matter as long as the checks cash, right? In CIVLANTFLT, you will eventually get days off. Don't sweat schedule.

3. Try to surprise us all in a positive way by not acting there like here ;)

4. Get hot, nub! ;)

O.o I am speaking more on when I would be able to move my wife down and get settled. She is a special ed teacher, so she will stay here for a while until we get everything figured out. Im not "Worried" about it, I'm just tryin to get my ducks in a row. Thanks :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?