NukeWorker Menu NRRPT

Author Topic: NRRPT  (Read 87547 times)

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Re: NRRPT
« Reply #75 on: Jun 22, 2012, 02:31 »
http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseaction=browse.getOrganizationDetail&FICE=300763

Credit recommendation:
In the lower division baccalaureate/associate or upper division baccalaureate degree category, 6 semester hours in Introduction to Radiological Science; 8 semester hours in Radiation Detection and Measurement; 8 semester hours in Radiation Protection and Control; and 8 semester hours in Applied Health Physics Internship (6/10).
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
« Reply #76 on: Mar 18, 2022, 06:59 »
This a long time between posts....but I finally did it.  After 2yrs and three tries, I finally passed the NRRPT in Feb. 2022.   Thank you to Dr. Tom!  Now, I've done my share for power plants and what not. I'm sticking with the hospitals.  I guess the next logical step is CHP (part 1).   Thoughts???
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #77 on: Mar 19, 2022, 07:09 »
watt will nrrpt qualify yew fore in a hospital?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #78 on: Mar 19, 2022, 01:00 »
watt will nrrpt qualify yew fore in a hospital?

"Qualify"? Nothing, really.

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
« Reply #79 on: Mar 19, 2022, 11:03 »
This a long time between posts....but I finally did it.  After 2yrs and three tries, I finally passed the NRRPT in Feb. 2022.   Thank you to Dr. Tom!  Now, I've done my share for power plants and what not. I'm sticking with the hospitals.  I guess the next logical step is CHP (part 1).   Thoughts???

I just want to say congratulations to you! I hope you hold onto that sense of accomplishment; you worked for it. Dr. Johnson prepared me for my exam in 2018, and it was a great course.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #80 on: Mar 20, 2022, 06:58 »
"watt will nrrpt qualify yew fore in a hospital?"

The NRRPT exam is not a qualification. It is a personal/professional achievement. It is sometimes a preferred prerequisite for getting hired, as well as a future expectation by the company doing the hiring. There are numerous benefits/advantages for a registered RPT in all areas where radiation protection services are required. There are de minimis disadvantages. The NRRPT exam will have little impact on skills required to be a competent/ "good" field operations/job-coverage RPT. If one already has these skills, they will not be diminished on passing the exam. In the pre-TMI time period (76-79), there was a pretty equal distribution between registered medical RPTs and all the rest. Post TMI not so much. Bottom line - your career as a RPT, Health Physicist, and any other category that requires radiation protection services, will be enhanced to some degree by passing the exam.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2022, 06:59 by fiveeleven »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #81 on: Mar 20, 2022, 11:36 »
"watt will nrrpt qualify yew fore in a hospital?"

The NRRPT exam is not a qualification. It is a personal/professional achievement. It is sometimes a preferred prerequisite for getting hired, as well as a future expectation by the company doing the hiring. There are numerous benefits/advantages for a registered RPT in all areas where radiation protection services are required. There are de minimis disadvantages. The NRRPT exam will have little impact on skills required to be a competent/ "good" field operations/job-coverage RPT. If one already has these skills, they will not be diminished on passing the exam. In the pre-TMI time period (76-79), there was a pretty equal distribution between registered medical RPTs and all the rest. Post TMI not so much. Bottom line - your career as a RPT, Health Physicist, and any other category that requires radiation protection services, will be enhanced to some degree by passing the exam.

Well said. When I took it it was more ego than any practical application, rarely got me an extra dime. Every plant or facility I went to as a job shopper defined whether of not I was a technician depending on its needs and requirements. With the NRRPT I did not need someone to tell me if I was a technician/technologist. I haven't worked in rad for a couple of decades but even with other nuclear disciplines it looks good on a resume.

Well done indoprime  [salute]

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #82 on: Mar 20, 2022, 07:56 »
....but I finally did it.  After 2yrs and three tries, I finally passed the NRRPT in Feb. 2022. ...Now, I've done my share for power plants and what not. I'm sticking with the hospitals.

may bee "qualify" gave miss information. aye wondered watt r.p. work wood be at a hospital. eye thought that the nuc med personnel took care of rad pro under the auspices of drs, radiologists, n procedures. sew, i wasn't sure how nrrpt interacted.

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #83 on: Mar 22, 2022, 08:57 »
Actually, a VA Hospital posting for a health physicist will take the NRRPT cert as being qualified....

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #84 on: Mar 22, 2022, 10:00 »
tanks.

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
« Reply #85 on: Mar 26, 2022, 11:34 »
Slo-Glo, to answer your question... there quite a few things that an RP can do at the hospital.  Currently, I'm handling all of the radioactive materials functions for the dept.  Shipping, disposal (Rad and Mixed), calibration, X-Ray machine QC's, and stuff like that.  Didn't NEED to take the NRRPT, but it was one of those things that I felt I needed to move into the next phase of my professional development.  So, next up will be things like Laser safety officer, CHP, and maybe RSO.

I'm done with drywells and containment.  Onto the next phase.
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #86 on: Mar 27, 2022, 11:01 »
understood. no more chutes n ladders. good too here the moving on. thinking that rso could be done wit just the nrrpt. butt, whaddya eye no,?😉

Offline ram2009

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #87 on: Aug 29, 2022, 12:58 »
Is anyone else waiting for their Aug 2022 Exam results? That exam was something, I definitely learned a lot preparing for it. I'm hoping for the best!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?