Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NRRPT honeypot

Author Topic: NRRPT  (Read 87475 times)

Valkrider

Re: ? about NRRPT registration
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2004, 12:44 »
I took the test last year on August 2 and the letter telling me I passed was dated Sept 2, so only a month plus a few days for the mail.

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2004, 11:53 by Beer Court »

97txaggie

« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2004, 12:54 »
Thanks for the info! I was just hoping I would get the results from my Feb. test before my annual evaluation in June:)
Thanks again,
J
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2004, 11:53 by Beer Court »

delkinto

« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2004, 11:42 »
My experience on the last exam was the same as valkrider's.  Just remember, the exam board members have lives and real jobs, too, so if you get the results back early like on the last exam, it's a good thing.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2004, 11:52 by Beer Court »

apmccloskey

NRRPT in Idaho
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2005, 11:19 »
I am looking for someone who teaches a week long prep class for the NRRPT test.
So far we have 5 people interested and the best rate we can find is a flat rate of $12,000 for up to 15 people.
If anyone knows of a company who can beat that price and teach it here in Idaho, let me know.

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
Re: NRRPT in Idaho
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2005, 08:04 »
Related to NRRPT but not directly to your question.

Does anyone have historical details on NRRPT membership over the years.  I need it for some work I am doing.  I am looking for just the number of NRRPT members for back as far as its avilable.  I did ask them at the NRRPT website but got no reply to several queries.

Decomm Man 8)
Decomm Man

Valkrider

« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2005, 10:29 »
Have you talked to Dr. Schrader at INEEL.  I know he has taught a prep course in the past.

wayne_despain@yaho

« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2005, 03:16 »
I don't know who can give the NRRPT class for less money than that.  Frankly, I'm not sure what the NRRPT is.  But if you let me know, and it is benificial to me(nuke MM1 getting out in April) I will have some operating capital to help out a group to go do it.  I woould really like to go back to southeast Idaho and work at the INEL because that is where I grew up.  So let me know what it is and we'll go from there.

mostlyharmless

NRRPT
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2005, 09:51 »
What is the value of NRRPT? Is it worth it?

JnyMac

Re: NRRPT
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2005, 12:43 »
I guess it depends on who you ask.  I passed it in 1994.  I got a year added to my Sr. HP time to qualify me for my next level pay raise.  Bartlett at that time would pay you back for the entrance fee if you passed.  I also got 30 credit hours from Thomas Edison State College for the certificate.  IMAO it was worth it.  Study Golnick and get the sample questions for the NRRPT as well as the ABHP.  I went over them for about 6 months prior and had no problem with the test my first time out.  Hope this helps

Good Luck

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2005, 07:42 »
If your goal is a power plant HP Tech, or a DOE RCT, then it' bennitits are there, but minimal.  If you are looking for a House job, a Supervisor, or ALARA/Rad Engineer job... It has many bennefits.  It opens doors for you.

alphadude

« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2005, 08:05 »
any time you subject yourself to a test of "what yer made of" its good. braggin rights, self worth and all that good stuff.  The NRRPT got me out of the "tech" catagory long time ago. so over the last 20 years i would say it added about $500 thousand or more to my total income.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2005, 02:38 »
On the "instant gratification" side, it will get you $1 or $2 and hour extra at some plants (e.g. Limerick). One outage at that rate pays for the test and the upkeep. Good bargain. Also buys a bit of respect and some 'benefit of the doubt' from people that may have an influence on who gets what job during an outage. Took it in 1991 and glad I did. So far I have never had to take any HP skills tests like the old Northeast Utilities test. That earns some peace of mind when arriving at a plant for work -- even knowledgable people can blow the NEU test on a bad day, and not having to take it makes 'training week' more pleasant.

On top of all that, you never know what you might learn just from studying for it.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

dbandcjs

« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2005, 11:56 »
I have a friend that passed NRRPT last year and told me to go ahead and do it.  I am just going back into HP, 8 year Navy RCT/ELT.  I have also looked into CHP.  I have been told that the NRRPT and Part 1 CHP are similar.  I have my BS from Thom Ed. and I plan of making a career of HP. 

Should I take the NRRPT or just wait until I have the required experience and take the CHP part 1 and later part 2.  I have already been accepted to work as a site RCT at KAPL so I don't really need NRRPT for a foot in the door.

Thanks,

Chuck

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2005, 01:18 »
Get your NRRPT as soon as possible, it will make a good progression history for NRRPT then CHP 1 then CHP 2 rather than a bunch of stuff at one time!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2005, 01:57 »
Most commercial and DOE sites have given the exam in the past, but there aren't as many taking them in a given year. I work Browns Ferry, and drove past Sequoyah and Watts Bar on my way to Oak Ridge to take my exam. I was the only person that took the test there, the other was a no-show!

NRRPT will have to give you the info on where they are testing this time. There is a lot to study, and you need to be conversant on dpm vice uuCi as the base units for contamination.

I studied the books listed on the site (Gollnick was the best, Cember next best, the MOE handbook online here was best for DOE introduction.)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: N.R.R.P.T. / College Credits
« Reply #40 on: Mar 07, 2005, 02:39 »
Another update :

FINALLY got A.C.E. to send a transcript...they do NOT communicate well, so make sure you check back with them when you feel they should have the paperwork from NRRPT.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #41 on: Mar 07, 2005, 03:03 »

FINALLY got A.C.E. to send a transcript...they do NOT communicate well, so make sure you check back with them when you feel they should have the paperwork from NRRPT.
5 months!
It took as long to get the NRRPT transcripted as it would take to get the credits by attendance!

Thanks for the info; and congratulations on a payoff for your perseverance.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #42 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:51 »
5 months!
It took as long to get the NRRPT transcripted as it would take to get the credits by attendance!

Thanks for the info; and congratulations on a payoff for your perseverance.

To be fair to A.C.E. - the first slowdown was with the N.R.R.P.T. office.  Apparently they don't process many A.C.E. requests.  When I sent them the request, they signed it and mailed it back to me.   I had to send it back to them so they could send it to A.C.E. directly.  Make sure you accompany your request with explicit instructions that the forms be sent to A.C.E. after they are signed.

Also, I ignored the whole situation thru Christmas, so could have saved a month if I had pushed it during the holidays.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

alphadude

« Reply #43 on: Mar 09, 2005, 04:28 »
hmm mine was processed in three weeks but that was a while back.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #44 on: Mar 23, 2005, 11:47 »
hmm mine was processed in three weeks but that was a while back.

Yeah, Alphadude, IF I hadn't had the mix-up with the NRRPT office...and IF I had pushed over the holidays...and IF A.C.E. had communicated once they had processed the request, three weeks would have been about the right processing time.

And NOW my school has pulled the old 'bait-and-switch' and awarded all 30 credits as lower division...worthless to me since I already had a bazillion lower-level credits...

My director is helping me draft an appeal, but....  :/

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #45 on: Apr 07, 2005, 01:30 »
WOO-HOO!!!

My appeal was successful!

Got the 24 upper-division credits as recommended by NRRPT/ACE.  Now only need an extra semester to turn my associate's into a bachelor's.  :)

Thanks to Bartlett (for paying for me to take NRRPT test)...Thanks to Clinton Power Station staff (for helping us study for NRRPT)...Thanks to NRRPT & ACE (for providing the documentation to my school).   AND (especially), thanks to 'HiCountry' for the information and encouragement to get me started on my credit-quest.

:)
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2005, 01:41 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #46 on: Apr 07, 2005, 01:35 »
It is good that you give credit where it is due. I do also: Congratulations for sticking it out and not taking "NO!" for an answer. And belated congratulations on the NRRPT itself.  :)

radgal

Re: NRRPT Study info
« Reply #47 on: Feb 23, 2006, 03:59 »
I took the class with radware and you get the cd info before hand.  I studied before with the cd then took the class right before the test.   You might want to take the class then study for a while on your own after. You really need to study for this. Tom and Dixie (Radware) were excellent trainers and I couldn't have passed it without them.  The class and cd are both well worth it.  Many places give you a raise when you pass.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2006, 01:04 »
A little postscript for anyone thinking of pursuing college credits for their NRRPT:

I graduated last week after two THOROUGHLY enjoyable years of college.  The past couple of years have been some of the best of my life.  If you have a chance to use your NRRPT to springboard yourself into a degree, DO IT!  I promise you will enjoy the ride.

And if you don't have your NRRPT, but are considering college, look into the possibilities of taking the NRRPT test first and applying those credits to your degree.  It saved me a whole year...

:)

refarnam

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2006, 11:34 »
UncaBuffalo,
Congrats, glad it all worked out and you were successful!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?