Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NRRPT  

Author Topic: NRRPT  (Read 87576 times)

alphadude

Re: N.R.R.P.T. / College Credits
« Reply #50 on: Jun 01, 2006, 08:50 »
good deal!!  just as a side note- FEMA online training (its free) can be used to get credit hours from a college in Maryland.  They are lower level but you can't beat the cost.  Its $64 per hour to apply to the college.

radwastetrainer

Re: NRRPT Study info
« Reply #51 on: Sep 28, 2006, 10:50 »
Bought the CD. Well worth the money. Used it for practice. Has many options like time testing, focus on one area that you maybe "weak" in, etc. It opened my eyes to area of study that I needed help in. Then I studied the Gollineck and MOE manual. Passed the first try.

Highly recommend it!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #52 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:24 »
Okay, so here's the next question:

From the NRRPT Handbook:

For those students who already possess a baccalaureate degree, the upper division credit recommendations can be considered for graduate credit

What are the odds that I can 'Double-Dip' and use NRRPT towards my Masters, too?
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

alphadude

« Reply #53 on: Feb 20, 2007, 12:02 »
I think those have to be 400 series classes for your masters.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #54 on: Feb 20, 2007, 02:48 »

...idaho state university, master of science degree in hazardous waste management...

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 20, 2007, 03:36 »
There ain't a legit, accredited university in this country that'll give someone 30 semester hours of college credit for passing the NRRPT!! NO HOW-NO WAY!!! Was this one of those phony diploma mills that gives out degrees for life experiences???

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #56 on: Feb 20, 2007, 03:48 »
There ain't a legit, accredited university in this country that'll give someone 30 semester hours of college credit for passing the NRRPT!! NO HOW-NO WAY!!! Was this one of those phony diploma mills that gives out degrees for life experiences???

...Thomas Edison State College...
   ...license/certification...semester hours credit...

Navy Basic Nuclear Power School (after 1961)** 41

Navy Qualifications Beyond Basic   
   Nuclear Power School 3-20

Nuclear Regulatory Commission Reactor Operator or   
   Senior Reactor Operator License** 27

National Registry of Radiation Protection   
   Technologists (NRRPT®)† 30

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 20, 2007, 03:49 »

Does that mean the ACE listings are not acceptable to accredited colleges?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #58 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:56 »

Boise State University. 

I realize we are only famous for our football, so guess you will have to decide where we fit into your statement!  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2007, 05:06 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #59 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:00 »
   ...idaho state university, master of science degree in hazardous waste management...

Do I take this to mean you did get some post-grad credits for NRRPT?  By coincidence, ISU is the school I am looking at entering the graduate program at, so if you have already received credits, that would be a good sign.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2007, 05:03 by UncaBuffalo »

alphadude

« Reply #60 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:25 »
where did snowball come from..he is out of touch

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #61 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:49 »
Question is, does snowball have an NRRPT. If he does not then that explains him.  LOL

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #62 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:32 »

I gotta give you karma for that one.  Nothing is as entertaining as someone just blasting out with such an un-retractable comment in the face of the fact that he has no idea what he is talking about.  Thanks, dude.

BTW, Excelsior College of New York (Formerly Regents College, operated by the New York State Board of Regents, aka the University of the State of New York -- the place where doctors and dentists get their license to practice in New York) gives 30 semester hours for the NRRPT.  This is a fully accredited institution, of course.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2007, 08:34 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

milo124

« Reply #63 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:34 »
I don't usually post, but since I just had the eval completed with TESC I thought I'd share.  They evaluated my previous College credits (69 SHs at CFCC) along with the NRRPT and this is what I ended up with:

79 SHs toward a BS degree in Health Physics.  Which looks like they only gave me ten hours for the NRRPT, but I actually received 19. To make this short - not all of the credits I had were transfered and I already had most of the upper level (core) classes completed. 

The one class I didn't get the NRRPT credit for (that really eryethema'd my...) was for Radiation Effects. Before you ask - yes I complained, but my "mentor" said they did not give credit for this class with the NRRPT (if anyone has actually received this credit let me know so I can "complain" some more).

So, in my case the NRRPT did help (19 hrs that I don't have to take).

I start English comp II and Calculus next month...

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #64 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:45 »

...summer of 94, inel/rwmc...supervisor enrolled in masters degree rad waste mgmt program at isu mentioned graduate credit granted for nrrpt...

...congratulations on your recently received undergraduate degree...

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #65 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:56 »

...back to back calc I & II by paper correspondence course with graphing calculator thru univ kansas...16 lessons and two exams per class...

...challenge comp II thru thomas edison state college examination program (tecep)..." English Composition II...This test calls for the demonstration of basic writing ability in English, requiring the writing of a short research paper, using materials provided. It is evaluated on the basis of organization, grammatical correctness, clarity of expression, and appropriateness of style. This exam fulfills the second three credits of the College's English Composition requirement."

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2007, 11:46 by wlrun3 »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #66 on: Feb 21, 2007, 06:52 »
I don't usually post, but since I just had the eval completed with TESC I thought I'd share.  They evaluated my previous College credits (69 SHs at CFCC) along with the NRRPT and this is what I ended up with:

79 SHs toward a BS degree in Health Physics.  Which looks like they only gave me ten hours for the NRRPT, but I actually received 19. To make this short - not all of the credits I had were transfered and I already had most of the upper level (core) classes completed. 

Go to Excelsior and see what they offer. Make sure TESC knows that you will take the better deal. They have a significant amount of leeway for the actual classes they consider equivalent. It sounds like they determined many of the credits were duplicated; if they use their leeway they can at least give you credit for an elective.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #67 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:04 »

...summer of 94, inel/rwmc...supervisor enrolled in masters degree rad waste mgmt program at isu mentioned graduate credit granted for nrrpt...

Excellent!  Thanks!  :)

ladyinrad

« Reply #68 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:33 »

The one class I didn't get the NRRPT credit for (that really eryethema'd my...) was for Radiation Effects. Before you ask - yes I complained, but my "mentor" said they did not give credit for this class with the NRRPT (if anyone has actually received this credit let me know so I can "complain" some more).

So, in my case the NRRPT did help (19 hrs that I don't have to take).

I start English comp II and Calculus next month...

I had to take the Radiation Effects class. It was the only one I did not get credit for from passing the NRRPT. Jump in and take it. If you have questions, I just completed it and could "guide" you through it rather painlessly.

LaFeet

Re: NRRPT Study info
« Reply #69 on: Apr 16, 2007, 02:39 »
 While the CDs and Classes all convienently group the study material you can acces a number of web sites and study on line for free.  It does take a bit of time, but not many people I know will sit down and take the entire exam bank in one sitting.

The exam is not difficult, although I thought the toughest parts were concerning the medical field. 

Good luck to all who seek the NRRPT.... it can only help you down the road.  But never stop studying..... keep the ol noggin pointed :D

LaFeet

Re: NRRPT
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2007, 12:16 »
Dband
 There is nothing wrong with taking both exams.  By all means, take the CHP (both parts) when you are ready.  I do believe that you will do well, most SMAGS do.  The NRRPT has grown over the past few years and presents a challenge to many.

If you are seeking continued education, having both the CHP and NRRPT might help you down the road.

Either way, thanks for your service and good luck

stownsend

« Reply #71 on: Jun 06, 2007, 04:30 »
The way I remember the test was all answers needed to be converted from what you are used to. mirocuries/cc could be in millicuries/cc or volume of air was stated in cubic meter instead of liters or cubic foot. Be prepared to change units and keep them straight. All possible wrong answers could be there if you divided instead of multiplying it was there etc.Be careful with your math and especially keeping your answers and test paper on the same line. It's easy to mix up the question and writing down on the correct #. I was told to do a memory dump and only answer questions that I was sure of and could answer in less than one minute,pass up all math and long questions. Then go back and read the long questions,then do the math,finally there will be several questions you are not prepared to answer,GUESS but do not leave them blank.You will have a 20% chance of getting them right.Good Luck

Offline 1way

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #72 on: Jun 06, 2007, 09:57 »
Gollnick's book was written specifically for what the NRRPT believed a Rad Tech should know.  I think if you can read through
the book and follow along with the information contained you should be able to pass.  The book has about doubled in size
over the years, so it may be a bit much to expect someone to read through the hole thing.  It was pretty much all I studied before I took the exam, and I managed to get by.

As far as what is a passing score, I believe I heard from someone who was in a position to know that the passing score is somewhere in the 69% to 71% range.  This was a long time ago ('91 or '92) so the number may have changed.  I have
no idea what determines the exact pass/fail number for any given exam....Good Luck!

LaFeet

« Reply #73 on: Jun 07, 2007, 06:56 »
Excellent choice as a reference.... but there are many ways to study for the NRRPT.   I actually had my wife quiz me as we drove to the testing site.  She managed to pick up a few things on the way.

Good luck to ya

refarnam

« Reply #74 on: Jun 07, 2007, 07:41 »
There is no set passing percentage on the NRRPT Exam.  The percentage of questions one needs to answer correctly is dependent upon the difficulty of each of the questions in the sample set.  The percentage is different for each exam.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?