Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ME - G.E.D - Nuke honeypot

Author Topic: ME - G.E.D - Nuke  (Read 7901 times)

Offline Sxqazw1

• Very Lite User
ME - G.E.D - Nuke
« on: Nov 02, 2010, 04:05 »
So here is my Issue,

I dropped out of high school when I was 16, not because I couldn't handle the work, but because of the environment. Most of my friends got involved in drugs and I could see myself following if I stayed, so I decided to drop out. After dropping out I worked for a while then got my G.E.D when I was 18. I'm now 19 and pursuing an A.S degree at a community college in computer engineering. Currently I only have 16 credits (3.2 GPA), but will have at least 24 by the time I try to enlist. There is no doubt in my mind that I would do well on the ASVAB, or the NAPT/NFQT (are those the same, on other things I have read people use them interchangeably.) My worry is if I will get the chance to take nuclear field assessments because of my G.E.D. By the way I would want to be Nuclear MM.

Just a thought,

Would having a B.S degree void my G.E.D?

Thanks in advance.
Steven

Fermi2

Re: ME - G.E.D - Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2010, 04:50 »
A BS or an Associates most certainly would do so.

To join with a GED, applicants must have an AFQT score of 50 or higher. ( I got this from here..
 http://www.ehow.com/list_6777339_asvab-requirements-navy-enlisted-job.html)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2010, 06:44 »
See - when faced with a well worded, clear question......

BZ can be nice....

:o
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2010, 07:06 »
:)

Offline Sxqazw1

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2010, 05:35 »
Thanks Broadzilla.

Anyone else have any thoughts on joining with just a G.E.D? The B.S degree would be a last resort, because I was looking to get the ball rolling around the first of the year.

Thanks
Steven

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2010, 06:09 »
You would need to ask a recruiter, but I back when I joined, you had to have a high school diploma to be a nuke, no waivers. It's possible that a degree would trump that, though (I imagine it doesn't come up very often).

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2010, 06:09 »
You're probably going to need a waiver for the GED.

From COMNAVCRUITCOM 1130.8H (Navy Recruiting Manual) Volume 2, section 020403
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/Directives/VOL%20II_Eligibility%20Requirements-%20with%20CH6.pdf

"Test-Based Equivalency Diploma, Education Code ā€œEā€

A diploma or certificate of General Education Development (GED), or other test-based credential high school equivalency diploma. A state or locally issued secondary school diploma obtained solely on the basis of testing and not graded day coursework."

I couldn't find any specific mention of education code "E" in Volume 4 (which deals with special programs, including the nuclear program) however I did find this in section 010104:
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/Directives/1130_8H_VOL%20IV_Programs%20&%20Classification-with%20CH%206.pdf

"An applicant attains HSDG status by any means other than graduation from a State accredited high school requires a non-traditional education eligibility waiver. Education codes 8, B, F, G, H, and M will require a non-traditional education eligibility waiver. Education codes D, K, and N require a non-traditional education eligibility waiver if the applicant did not graduate from a traditional State accredited high school. For example, an applicant that did not complete high school but went to college and attained his Associate Degree would be coded as ā€œ14Dā€, but would require a nontraditional education eligibility waiver."

So, best case scenario you'll have to submit a waiver.  Worst case scenario, you won't be eligible for the nuclear program.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2010, 11:01 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline Sxqazw1

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2010, 06:53 »
Thanks guys for the information.

Hopefully,

There is a way for me to get in!   :)

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2010, 09:25 »
Uh sovbob, didn't the link I posted pretty much negate what you just said?

GED is possible provided you get a certain score on the ASVAB.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2010, 09:25 »
Think maybe we could reference this thread when newbies bitch about BZ and his lack of patience with spelling and grammar?  Proud of both BZ and sovbob!! +K +K
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2010, 09:57 »
It's not the spelling and grammar, it's the laziness and lack of attention to detail that bothers me.

I've received at least 30 or 35 thank you messages from individuals who saw the point and developed good habits because of my spelling rants.

Also, yeah I get it ranted at publicly but I do receive a lot of email and PMs saying I hit it dead on.

Show effort and I'll put in effort to help.
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2010, 09:58 by Broadzilla »

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:48 »
Uh sovbob, didn't the link I posted pretty much negate what you just said?

GED is possible provided you get a certain score on the ASVAB.

Perhaps I wasn't clear with my previous post.

The navy has a set of rules in 1130.8H Volume 2, that govern basic eligibility requirements for ALL enlistees.  These include all sorts of things like age, citizenship, dependents, education, criminal history, etc.

What you're referring to is under the BASIC eligibility requirements found in Volume 2, Section 010103
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/Directives/VOL%20II_Eligibility%20Requirements-%20with%20CH6.pdf

"a. Applicants must meet the following specific eligibility requirements to be considered qualified for contracting for service in the U.S.Navy:
(6) Score at least 35 on the Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT). Applicants with AFQT scores less than 50 must be HSDG/TIER I. See Chapter 2, Section 6 for additional guidance."

(For reference, a person with a GED is classified as a Tier II education)

However, the nuclear program has special ADDITIONAL requirements on top of the basic eligibility requirements.  These additional guidelines are found in 1130.8H, Volume 4 (Programs and Classification).  They include things such as financial records, high school math transcripts, age, etc that are specific only to the nuclear program.  For example, the maximum age to enlist in the navy is 34, but if you're over 25 you need a waiver to be in the nuclear program.

If you don't meet these additional requirements (or your nuclear waiver gets denied), you can still enlist in the navy but not as a nuke.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2010, 11:00 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

MCWunjo

« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2010, 05:06 »
I realize I'm a little late on this, but I recently signed a nuke contract. I had a GED and 72 credits at the time. I was already enlisted under another rating. I had to get waivers for dropping out of school, failing a couple classes and getting a "D" in chemistry in high school. My recruiter didn't want to give me the waivers because most said GEDs don't get nuke but another recruiter helped me out. I was told my exceptional scores are the only thing that saved me. 99/73. Was required to take the NAPT because of my GED. A lot can change in a year but this happened recently.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?