Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu rad tech vs ops  

Author Topic: rad tech vs ops  (Read 5186 times)

Cycoticpenguin

rad tech vs ops
« on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:16 »
Anyone have experience in both? I am being considered for RP tech 1/C position, took TECH test, and they seemed to love me, but they really pushed me to go to Operations. So I obliged because that's what I wanted to do in the first place. Lets say due to some cosmic twist, they dont hire me for that, and I get this tech job... Where do I go from there? Can I still go after SRO eventually?  I will attempt to search.... but so far its in vain.

I dont even know what that job entails -.-  anyone have a cliffs notes of what they do? 

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: rad tech vs ops
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2010, 06:47 »
If you take the RP tech job, expect a delay getting into Ops - they will expect you to complete RP quals first.
We have a former Chem tech in the Ctrl Rm now - but it took her a hard push to get into Ops, be / qualify AO, and do license school. She has a degree in Chem, and is eligible for SRO school in the future.
Starting in another Dept adds 3-4 years to your advancement track IMHO. Doesn't kill it, and the experience could add something to your knowledge / experience. The same would apply if you started in Maintenance - you would still have to transfer to Ops.
As far as what an RP tech does - it's Radiation Protection. Surveys, exposure estimates, emergency response training, some instrumentation. Training (and yes, you will have initial training) and qualification takes 6 months - 1 year. Then most likely on shift (at least at my plant). It is different than Navy Radcon - at least to those ELTs I've talked to.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 08:10 by HouseDad »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:50 »
I was a road HP for 11 years but I'm in Ops now. They are both good jobs, but the opportunities in Ops are better than in HP. Also at my plant in HP there is the possibility of being sent to other plants to do outage work. It is voluntary for now until they run out of volunteers. It pays well but you are back on the road again.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:18 »
thank you guys for the response.

I just cant find much about this job other then EXTREME basics lol.

EDIT: If I get my degree in engineering, and was a rad tech, could I go direct SRO???
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 05:27 by Charlie Murphy »

JsonD13

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2010, 06:07 »
From my experience, I would say go with what makes you feel better.  But, since you basically told the company that you would do anything for them, just enjoy what's handed to you.

I'm in RP now, we do a bit more than the Navy taught you.  What do you mean by extreme basics?

Jason

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2010, 12:37 »
From my experience, I would say go with what makes you feel better.  But, since you basically told the company that you would do anything for them, just enjoy what's handed to you.

I'm in RP now, we do a bit more than the Navy taught you.  What do you mean by extreme basics?

Jason

To be honest, I dont want the RP tech job, I want to get into ops. Thats what I did, thats what I enjoyed doing. I would take this job to get my foot in the door, more so then make it a career. If I had to do it, I would.

I just mean, I cant find much other then "we do dosimetry, surveys, and estimates"... great. I guess I want a "walkthrough" of a "typical day" haha. I want operations, because I know what it is. Im completely ignorant to the RP side, I admit.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?