Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu General Advice for Active Duty Nuke Mechanic honeypot

Author Topic: General Advice for Active Duty Nuke Mechanic  (Read 14020 times)

nukemm736

General Advice for Active Duty Nuke Mechanic
« on: Jul 01, 2011, 06:52 »
Hello everybody, I recently discovered nukeworker, and I have to say that so far I'm very impressed with all the useful information I've read on the forums.  I do have a couple of questions for all of you nukeworker forum readers though.

I think it is important for the readers to know something about my situation before I ask my questions. Currently, I'm an ERS qualified MM with a bachelors (that is not science related) and I'm currently working on my Thomas Edison degree in nuclear engineering technology.  I also plan on obtaining a Masters of Science in Engineering while I'm in using tuition assistance (taking advantage of all the Navy's free programs while I can and while it's free).  I have a few QA qualifications under my belt and have another two years before my EAOS.  I'd like to set myself up as much as I can, while I'm still active duty, for a smooth transition to the commercial nuclear power sector.

Proceeding on to my questions:

1.      What do hiring managers look for in prior nuke mechanic job seekers?

2.      Do Navy QA qualifications matter in the commercial sector (I've heard QAI is pretty important)?

3.      Even though I plan on qualifying EWS, how much does this really matter?

3a.    Can I be put into direct SRO qualifications with only ERS as my highest watchstation qualified?

3b.    Would qualifying EOOW at prototype make that much of a difference in setting me apart from other job seekers?

4.      What general advice would you give me in order to best set myself up for success when I get out and make the transition to the civilian sector?

I look forward to and appreciate, in advance, your responses and advice.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: General Advice for Active Duty Nuke Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2011, 09:37 »
Hello everybody, I recently discovered nukeworker, and I have to say that so far I'm very impressed with all the useful information I've read on the forums.  I do have a couple of questions for all of you nukeworker forum readers though.

I think it is important for the readers to know something about my situation before I ask my questions. Currently, I'm an ERS qualified MM with a bachelors (that is not science related) and I'm currently working on my Thomas Edison degree in nuclear engineering technology.  I also plan on obtaining a Masters of Science in Engineering while I'm in using tuition assistance (taking advantage of all the Navy's free programs while I can and while it's free).  I have a few QA qualifications under my belt and have another two years before my EAOS.  I'd like to set myself up as much as I can, while I'm still active duty, for a smooth transition to the commercial nuclear power sector.

Proceeding on to my questions:

1.      What do hiring managers look for in prior nuke mechanic job seekers?

2.      Do Navy QA qualifications matter in the commercial sector (I've heard QAI is pretty important)?

3.      Even though I plan on qualifying EWS, how much does this really matter?

3a.    Can I be put into direct SRO qualifications with only ERS as my highest watchstation qualified?

3b.    Would qualifying EOOW at prototype make that much of a difference in setting me apart from other job seekers?

4.      What general advice would you give me in order to best set myself up for success when I get out and make the transition to the civilian sector?

I look forward to and appreciate, in advance, your responses and advice.

Standby for your beating, since all of these questions have been answered before, numerous times. But here are my answers;

1. Someone that did more than the minimum.

2. No, not really. They are a resume bullet for sure, but being QA qualified in the Navy doesn't equate to or make you qualified for QA in commercial. It does give you an idea though, just like the NNPP gives you an idea about nuke power.

3a. No.

3b. A little, but it is the EWS quals that you would go through first that qualify you to be a direct SRO. I was an MM/ELT who qualified EWS on the boat (first tour, E5) and then went to Ptype and qualified EWS then EOOW. I thought that it was going to give me a leg up, but I was told by one hiring manager "I don't care about your EOOW quals." However, some might..., so if you can get the qual and you think you would enjoy it and be good at it, then go for it..., it certainly won't HURT your resume. Being an ETA and training officer students is at least tied for first for my best time in the Navy.

4. Use the search feature. ;) And, if you want direct SRO, like I said, you need EWS quals..., and not just the qual. You need at least 2 years... ON WATCH. Oh, and achieve EAOS without doing something stupid.

Good luck!

PS DO NOT reenlist to go to Ptype to qualify EOOW, if that is what you were thinking.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2011, 09:40 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

nukemm736

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2011, 10:18 »
Thanks for the response. I'm still new to nukeworker so you'll have to forgive me if I ask questions that have already been asked elsewhere.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2011, 10:20 »
Oh, I do, some won't. ;D

Welcome to NW by the way!
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2011, 10:21 »
Oops! I missed one!

3. That is the key. If you want direct SRO, you must qualify EWS. I explained the rest above.

nukemm736

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2011, 10:36 »
I figured that given your response to 3b. As for your P.S. comment, that's what I was thinking, but if qualifying EOOW isn't that important, then I'll reconsider reenlisting.

flblasted

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2011, 12:08 »
Justin said it pretty well, the only thing I would add is to #4

4.  It might seem like you're setting yourself back by getting a job as NLO but you will increase your success rate by a crazy amount to come in as an NLO and then go instant SRO when it comes up.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2011, 12:16 »
Justin said it pretty well, the only thing I would add is to #4

4.  It might seem like you're setting yourself back by getting a job as NLO but you will increase your success rate by a crazy amount to come in as an NLO and then go instant SRO when it comes up.

Do you mean success at actually landing instant SRO? Or something else?
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2011, 12:17 by TheHiggs »

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2011, 08:57 »
I just went through this transaction if you will not be EWS for 2 yrs it may not work out this is one of the requirements for direct SRO. Some plants wont do the direct SRO thing no matter what. Going from the Navy and going straight into the direct SRO program is very very hard. I know a 26 yr Reactor Operator that failed out I have four of my friends doing the Program right know with TVA/PPL and Duke. It is alot of hours and a strain much like the navy on your family. You are required to know alot more than a Navy EWS does. I was told being qualified EWS would buy me a cup of coffee and a doughnut what people really like is someone that works their way up learns the plant and knows where they have been. Did you like some officer straight out of prototype who had never seen a work package before say this was wrong or monitor you doing something he has never even seen and say thats not right. I hated it so I wanted to know what it was like to be an Auxiliary Operator first before I was in control of their actions on shift.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2011, 08:47 »
Thanks for the response. I'm still new to nukeworker so you'll have to forgive me if I ask questions that have already been asked elsewhere.

I am going to make this very clear;

You need to have a minimum of 2 years of EWS, not the "going away gift" EWS, to get direct SRO.

There isn't any degree you can get that will change that. A 6 year MM simply cannot get hired as a direct SRO, period. Unless of course like I said, you have that 2 years of EWS, but from the question I was sent in PM, I have a feeling you don't/won't and you are trying to find another way in. If I am wrong, correct me, but I just want to make sure you aren't getting your hopes up.

And like the poster above said, some companies still won't hire you. First Energy is one that doesn't hire enlisted EWS's into direct SRO..., officer and enlisted EOOWs only.

Some companies are generous with direct SRO though, like Exelon.

But NONE of them will hire you without the 2 years EWS. That isn't a company policy, it is a regulatory requirement.

If you searched here, you will have found the ACAD document that describes the requirements for direct SRO, and 6 year MM with 3 degrees, or whatever, isn't on there.

Sorry.
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2011, 08:54 by TheHiggs »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2011, 09:03 »
I'm pretty sure I saw something about an engineering degree being acceptable (although it appears least desirable) to get direct SRO, no experience necessary, a a 6 year MM could possibly get the job, although not very likely.

On a side note, I know the is some debate about the usefulness of navy QA quals for getting into that side. Would getting the ASQ certifications be worth it?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2011, 09:18 »
I'm pretty sure I saw something about an engineering degree being acceptable (although it appears least desirable) to get direct SRO, no experience necessary

Nope.
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2011, 09:19 by TheHiggs »

MacGyver

« Reply #12 on: Jul 03, 2011, 10:07 »
I'm pretty sure I saw something about an engineering degree being acceptable (although it appears least desirable) to get direct SRO, no experience necessary, a a 6 year MM could possibly get the job, although not very likely.

On a side note, I know the is some debate about the usefulness of navy QA quals for getting into that side. Would getting the ASQ certifications be worth it?

Yes, VERY unlikely.  In fact, if "Yes means No" then yes you can do exactly what you suggest.   

Listen too TheHiggs:
I am going to make this very clear;

Nope.

If you searched here, you will have found the ACAD document that describes the requirements for direct SRO, and 6 year MM with 3 degrees, or whatever, isn't on there.

Sorry.

Or you could just read this:
Here's a post related too ACAD 10-001

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #13 on: Jul 03, 2011, 10:11 »
And I thought I was a hugger. :P I was going to let them find it on their own. ;D

MacGyver

« Reply #14 on: Jul 03, 2011, 10:21 »
And I thought I was a hugger. :P I was going to let them find it on their own. ;D

Quit it ... or I'll get all misty eyed ...  

You know I am just a closet hugger   

Time to get on with my day ...

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jul 03, 2011, 02:58 »
I stand corrected about the direct SRO, although I'm sure I've seen job postings allowing it. Oh, well, the NRC appears to say no in several places.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #16 on: Jul 03, 2011, 03:16 »
I stand corrected about the direct SRO, although I'm sure I've seen job postings allowing it. Oh, well, the NRC appears to say no in several places.

If that were the case we wouldn't have a cadre of NLOs with engineering degrees, physics degrees, etc. :) A degree CAN get you to direct SRO, but only via something like engineering at the plant first..., which typically isn't the easiest path. NLO would be best bet for someone wanting SRO without the required experience.

We have 3 engineering guys in my current class, none with prior Navy experience. 2 of them barely have life experience being just 24 and a year out of school. I have a huge problem with my company's policies and hope to be able to change them one day. I simply don't see how putting a 24 year old just out of school through class can be better than a Navy enlisted EWS. Then again, I am not the boss so I guess I don't have to understand it.
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2011, 03:19 by TheHiggs »

Sun Dog

« Reply #17 on: Jul 03, 2011, 03:40 »

I simply don't see how putting a 24 year old just out of school through class can be better than a Navy enlisted EWS.

Some employers feel that if given a raw recruit who has not developed any bad* work habits then the chances of success are higher.  The employer can program/train the recruit to their way of doing business.  No having to put up with hearing "That isn't the way we did it at ______ [fill in the blank]."

* In this context, the word bad is synonymous to the phrase "different than the employer's."

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #18 on: Jul 03, 2011, 04:33 »
Yeah good point. Maybe I am under estimating them, but I haven't been impressed yet. I guess only time will tell.

nukemm736

« Reply #19 on: Jul 03, 2011, 06:40 »
Thanks for all the good information. I guess I'll take the NLO to SRO route then.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Jul 03, 2011, 10:22 »
Hey just to follow up.

I had similar questions to you a while back. As far as QA goes, it really seems like it boils down to the amount of time you actually employ these quals and use them. Just being qualified isnt enough.

I asked this question myself about 3 years ago...

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,15823.0.html

Good luck, NLO is a great route, been working about 6 months myself. This site has a lot of great information on it, and I suggest getting help where you can, it makes the process smoother ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?