Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What is your hourly rate as an SRO?

Author Topic: What is your hourly rate as an SRO?  (Read 33608 times)

number41

Re: What is your hourly rate as an SRO?
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:22 »
Haven't been here in awhile due to getting my license.........and by the way, it's not that hard, no matter what Broadzilla would like to believe.  Anyway, I work at Brunswick.  Initial DSRO's make $43 & change while in class.  After, that depends on your grades, etc, but should be around $48/hr plus $18k/yr license bonus, plus performance bonus (10-15% target.)  So, one of the best Southeast locations is doing a little better than what you've quoted.  Good on you for asking.  Apparently Mike doesn't care if he's getting underpaid and therefore doesn't think it's prudent to ask on here.  I suppose it is possible that I am lying to you about our pay, but I interviewed (and was offered a job) at Grand Gulf, Vogtle, Catawba, Robinson and they ALL offered a starting pay about where Brunswick did, so I don't imagine that their licensed pay is all that much different.  The exception was Grand Gulf.  They offered quite a bit more to start (~$15k/yr), but if you've ever been there, you'll know why.

Fermi2

« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:05 »
Yeah, the NRC told me they felt sorry for anyone working at Brunswick so they were basically giving liceses away.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2010, 10:17 »
Yeah, the NRC told me they felt sorry for anyone working at Brunswick so they were basically giving liceses licenses away.

[devious] sorry, the devil made me do it  [whistle] but to be fair I am sure use of the spell checker isn't on the license exam...  ;)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2010, 11:28 »
The reason I suspect Brunswick's pay is low is something that happened to an SRO friend of mine (qualified SRO for about 5 years at this point) 2 years ago.  His wife wanted to move back to NC. Brunswick had been in touch with him to see if he wanted to be an SRO at Brunswick.  He went and interviewed and they were very happy to see him and everything seemed to go well.  I know from his peers and working with him in the past that he is highly thought of as an SRO and worker in general.  They offered him something like 83 a year.  Which to him and to all of us who discussed this later was a lowball figure for a guy who was already qualified SRO for some time.  It was of course MUCH MUCH lower than he was making at his present utility in the NE.  And taking the cost of living into account didn't even come close to making up for it. 

Which is in line with what I saw happen to the ROs at Brunswick back in 99.  ROs were getting out of class making a good bit less than more senior AOs, and this after getting almost no OT while in class for 1.5 years.  A big stink was raised and the pay of all ROs was raised to just a smidge above the highest paid AO.

I also remember as an AO at Brunswick what a big deal management made about our 10% raise in 98.  Yes it was, a 10% raise to our 50 cents an hour shift differential, which brought it up to 55 cents.  yes!

anyway, these are just the facts (or as close as my memory will allow), interpret them as you will.  I strongly believe that Brunswick is cheaper than the average utility and probably still is.  but things can change!!!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2010, 12:53 »
There are two absolute certainties on this or any forum when you ask a person how much he is paid.

1. If he tells you a number, it is inflated greatly.

2. It is always less than he deserves.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Hutchym

« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:26 »
Ontario Power Generation and Bruce Power pay virtually the same. At one time it was the same company before Bruce was severed by the Ontario Government. Because of the union, the pay was kept at par with Ontario Power Generation. Because OPG is a public utility paid for by the residents of Ontario there pay is public knowledge. Below is the link for the pay of OPG employee's that made over $100,000/year for 2009. The link is:
http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publications/salarydisclosure/2010/electric10.html
Using your browser search tool you can search for the following operations job titles and scroll through a few. The salaries will be different depending on what grade/step they are at, overtime worked, premiums, SRO bonuses, etc. Below I will explain job titles for operations staff.
Nuclear Operator (Field operations staff), Supervising Nuclear Operator, first line management assistant (Senior Field operator or working supervisor), Authorized Nuclear Operator or Unit 0 Control room operator (panel operators), Control Room Shift Supervisor (possibly equivalent to SRO?, it is your control room supervisor).
Remember when attempting to calculate what the equivalent in american funds would be, in Ontario we pay top tier income taxes upward of almost 50% so you need to make a nice gross to make a descent net pay.

« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2010, 01:51 by Hutchym »

mwdavis

« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:11 »
Haven't been here in awhile due to getting my license.........and by the way, it's not that hard, no matter what Broadzilla would like to believe. 

I never got the impression that Broadzilla said getting the license was "that hard".......I thought he was saying that doing the SRO job well was what was hard........

Offline STGN

• Light User
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2010, 12:37 »

I never got the impression that Broadzilla said getting the license was "that hard".......I thought he was saying that doing the SRO job well was what was hard........

Getting a license may not be "that hard" for some people, but I personally do not think the NRC just gives them away either.  A persons background, smarts, the ability of the training personnel all factor in.  And anyone can have a bad day....

Back on topic:  Base SRO salary at the utility I work for is roughly 105k/yr.  Add to that license pay, bonuses, and "overtime" and most SRO's are making in the 150k range.  It's a region 2 plant.

chamberd

« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:34 »
after reading this I gotta get out of my current situation and into this field.  I worked my b@!!s off as many days of OT as possible on all available shifts and made 85K in the semiconductor industry that is now getting outsourced.  The kicker now is I get to decommission and lose ~20% base pay and NO OT.  I knew I shoulda jumped ship 3 years ago.... doH!  Back to studying....

M1Ark

« Reply #34 on: Jul 05, 2011, 01:51 »
What is your hourly rate as an SRO and position?  I.E.  Mine would be 42 dollars per hour as an SRO and SSS.  That is salary plus license pay as an hourly rate.  What utility do you work at if you are gutsy? This needs to be known; I am tired of ppl at other plants getting underpaid including myself!!!!

Brand new SRO:

105k base
16k license pay
20k retention bonus
16k performance bonus
25k overtime based on 500 hours

don

« Reply #35 on: Jul 05, 2011, 08:00 »
I work as a station operator at coal plant in chicago area.  Ill make over 90k this year with very little overtime. If anyone is doing SRO and making less than I am, they really really should make a change.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?