Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What is your hourly rate as an SRO?

Author Topic: What is your hourly rate as an SRO?  (Read 33497 times)

underpaid

What is your hourly rate as an SRO?
« on: Dec 01, 2010, 07:50 »
What is your hourly rate as an SRO and position?  I.E.  Mine would be 42 dollars per hour as an SRO and SSS.  That is salary plus license pay as an hourly rate.  What utility do you work at if you are gutsy? This needs to be known; I am tired of ppl at other plants getting underpaid including myself!!!!

JustinHEMI05

Re: What is your hourly rate as an SRO?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:29 »
Who are you (utility, plant) and what do you think can be done with this information?

co60slr

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:29 »
What is your hourly rate as an SRO and position?  I.E.  Mine would be 42 dollars per hour as an SRO and SSS.  That is salary plus license pay as an hourly rate.  What utility do you work at if you are gutsy? This needs to be known; I am tired of ppl at other plants getting underpaid including myself!!!!
Here's an SRO ILT job that pays more than your quote:
http://www.nukeworker.com/job/job/ilt-trainee-and-operations-supervisor-and-sro-candidate-exelon-nuclear-braidwood-station-in-braceville-il-j/12555/

Let me guess...you live in the South or Southeast?   They deduct "everyone wants to live here" and "warm weather" pay from your salary.   

You're in luck though.  Exelon is hiring for a January 2011 class outside of Chicago.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:36 »
Here's an SRO ILT job that pays more than your quote:
http://www.nukeworker.com/job/job/ilt-trainee-and-operations-supervisor-and-sro-candidate-exelon-nuclear-braidwood-station-in-braceville-il-j/12555/

Let me guess...you live in the South or Southeast?   They deduct "everyone wants to live here" and "warm weather" pay from your salary.   

You're in luck though.  Exelon is hiring for a January 2011 class outside of Chicago.

The bass fishin is great there.... once you drill through the ice..   8)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:44 »
warm is worth something
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:38 »

How is nearly 90K a year underpaid?

Sun Dog

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:45 »

I am tired of ppl at other plants getting underpaid including myself!!!!

Get qualified to swing a meter and join the NPUA.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:47 »
How exactly would you know if someone at another facility is underpaid?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:30 »
good lord I know plenty of HP techs and chem techs that make quite a bit more than that.  you'ld think an SRO would make much more!  maybe you are at brunswick?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2010, 04:18 »
good lord I know plenty of HP techs and chem techs that make quite a bit more than that.  you'ld think an SRO would make much more!  maybe you are at brunswick?

I think that is the point he is trying to make. :) His hourly employees, ROs and NLOs, are probably making more than him.

However, it all depends on location and utility. Exelon, the Evil Empire, might put an enormous administrative burden on SROs compared to other utilities (from what I have heard and seen at my new plant), but they compensate very well. My first full year in TRAINING, I cleared 140K. Once you are on shift, the average Exelon SRO is pushing 160K+ (this is based on the site I worked at).
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2010, 04:19 by JustinHEMI »

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2010, 04:27 »
Again, how does he know what people at other utilities are making?
Perhaps he's a trainee and what good does it do to whine about it here?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2010, 07:44 »
not at brunswick they don't hemi.  the pay there isn't that good.  and probably other southern plants...  just giving him a snapshot of what I know.  I think he wanted feedbacK?  seems low to me.  I semi-know the pay scales at about 4 plants semi-recently.....

499tarheel

« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2010, 07:46 »
I doubt he's a trainee. We've heard from several folks on this forum, that SNC for example, pays SRO candidates 70k during training. From that number an on-shift SRO compensation in the 90K range would seem very probable.

I don't understand why it matters "who" he heard what from. It's common knowledge that 90k is peanuts for all the BS licensed folks have to deal with.

For 90k why not go Electrical or I&C? I know for a fact (old friend) that an I&C at SNC working 300 hours OT M-F can easily clear 90K without including any bonuses. Just straight time and overtime. I'm sure other maintenance jobs are similar, although I was told I&C does make a bit more than the other craft at this south Georgia plant.

If you want to stay Ops bolt for someplace thats compensates you for the ever increasing amount of BS that Ops has become.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:40 »
Cripes,

I'm an RP tech, and avoid OT like the plague... only during outages

I'll prob top 90.....

And I don't hafta put up with license BS.... 8)

or work shiftwork
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2010, 08:41 by HouseDad »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:51 »
as I thought....no way I would put up with that crap either for 90k....but some people love it!  more power to them.  I would do it if I had too, but only if I had to eat and had no other reasonable alternatives.

underpaid

« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:08 »
Yes, you guys were dead on.  I work at a Southern Plant.  The administrative burden to too much for 90K.  Also, there are several other departments that make more that I do. Hell, my job reports make more than I do.  I am just frustrated and have had enough!!!!  No I am a fully qualified SRO.  HHHMM Exelon pay 160k for an SRO?

jwhite

« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:17 »
I guess that is why everyone in OPS at SNC are jumping ship as soon as possible. SNC will most likely have to raise their pay scale to be able to maintain their required number of operators, especially in the NLO ranks.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:29 »
Yes, you guys were dead on.  I work at a Southern Plant.  The administrative burden to too much for 90K.  Also, there are several other departments that make more that I do. Hell, my job reports make more than I do.  I am just frustrated and have had enough!!!!  No I am a fully qualified SRO.  HHHMM Exelon pay 160k for an SRO?

At my last plant, yes, on average, qualified ON SHIFT SROs made about 160K. Especially now that they have to have two control room supervisors in the room at all times. Before, they mostly ran with one for both units except during day shift on weekdays. Like I said previously, as a TRAINEE I cleared 140K my first full year of training. That was base, plus license premium (you get 2/3rds until you pass systems, then you get the full premium which is about 23K now), plus annual company bonus (15%), plus milestone bonuses, plus OJT OT.

Oh, and as a side note, if you are making 90K as a qualified on shift SRO where you are, at any Exelon plant, your BASE will be higher than that. Someone linked a plant above starting at 105K BASE!

Additionally, at my new plant, my base is much higher than that as well. I will make a little less over all where I am now, than I did at the Exelon plant (about 10K less in license premium), but the administrative burden here is also significantly less than my previous plant. In fact, from what I have observed so far, the unit supervisor has no concerns except supervising the unit. It is kind of refreshing.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2010, 08:37 by JustinHEMI »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:14 »
yeah, you need to find other SRO work, unless you love your employer or don't want to leave the area.....

Offline nesnah2

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2010, 04:44 »
I am an RO at Palisades and make $44 an hour not counting my license bonus.  I start ILT in 3 weeks to upgrade to SRO starting at $104K ($50 an hr) base salary minimum.  You are getting hosed.  Come up north man.  The lake effect snow is AWESOME!!! 8)

Fremont

« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:25 »
I think that is the point he is trying to make. :) His hourly employees, ROs and NLOs, are probably making more than him.

However, it all depends on location and utility. Exelon, the Evil Empire, might put an enormous administrative burden on SROs compared to other utilities (from what I have heard and seen at my new plant), but they compensate very well. My first full year in TRAINING, I cleared 140K. Once you are on shift, the average Exelon SRO is pushing 160K+ (this is based on the site I worked at).

Are you including overtime and the annual bonus in that number? I'm at an Exelon plant, and I know we don't make that amount. Maybe if you have a lot of onshift OT (Exelon only pays management OT for outage work and shift fill-in). You made 140K while you were in ILT? Good for you! But you certainly are the exception!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:59 »
No, I am not the exception at my plant.

As a trainee, base + annual bonus + license bonus is just about 135K. Add in milestone bonuses and OJT OT and you are easily over 140.

Assume on shift SROs start with the above 3, plus requal bonus. Add in on shift OT and you are easily at 150-160K.

Yes, I at the end of the year, when all is totaled up, that is what they are making.

And it isn't a ton of OT.

You are getting ripped off.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2010, 08:34 by JustinHEMI »

Offline WebbedOne

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:50 »
I am negotiating my compensation while in SROU class with my current employer.  I'm wondering if any of you know whether your site pays a signing bonus or milestone bonuses for existing ROs who accept an upgrade position.  If so, how much?  How are the milestone bonuses structured?  Thanks.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:22 »
Yes, mine current and last company does pay upgrade bonuses and milestone bonuses. However, I think those numbers are individual and confidential.

tselby

« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:17 »
Yes, mine current and last company does pay upgrade bonuses and milestone bonuses. However, I think those numbers are individual and confidential.

this company is

Base + Shift Differential + License Bonus + Annual performance incentive = puts most above or at 150k (we receive no OT no matter what)
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2010, 07:18 by Liquid_fuel »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?