Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu AECF transfering to Nuke  

Author Topic: AECF transfering to Nuke  (Read 17389 times)

Walifrex

AECF transfering to Nuke
« on: Dec 01, 2010, 07:53 »
Hello, been sulking around here a little while I was waiting for my recruiter to go through the motions to get me down to MEPS to sign up for Nuke. 96 on my Asvab, 253 on NUC, 56 on the NAPT. Not wonderfully high scores, but figured they would be high enough for MM(N).

Ran into a bit of a problem, got told that because 6 years ago back in High School, I failed a class and got a few D's, that I'm currently not allowed to go into the Nuke program. I did a handwritten statement explaining why my grades were so poor (Got kicked out of the house, forced to move schools twice in the middle of spring semester, mom passed away spring semeter of junior year.) and one explaining that I've been working for the past 6 years non-stop because I had bills to pay.

MEPS, recruiter, Nuke Coordinator told me to take another job to lock in a ship date and make it do I don't have to go back down to MEPS, but that they are going to try and get a waiver sent in for me to change jobs to Nuke. I chose AECF, figured fiddling with radar and CIWS widgets should be entertaining and it seemed like it would pay well enough.

Long story short, how screwed am I for getting Nuke at this point? Got told that I should try and get letters of recommendation from as many bigwigs as I can get but come Friday we'll have a better idea on whats going on, if the top brass in Maryland say yea or nay on what we have so far.

Nuke is what I really want and still want to do. I keep getting told the Navy needs/wants/lusts after Nuke, but they seem to be playing hard to get. Out of my recruiting pool, not one person got Nuke and I know of atleast one other that was trying for it.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2010, 07:55 by Walifrex »

Samabby

Re: AECF transfering to Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:14 »
" Nuke is what I really want and still want to do."

Here is your answer, young grasshopper. Many things might need a waiver, but nearly everything can get a waiver.

Good luck, son  8)

co60slr

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:43 »
I did a handwritten statement explaining why my grades were so poor (Got kicked out of the house, forced to move schools twice in the middle of spring semester, mom passed away spring semeter of junior year.)
Those aren't reasons why one person gets D's.  They're excuses. 

Everyone has problems...some much worse than yours and they chose to continue studying amidst their very unfortunate circumstance.  I'd say the majority of nuclear enlisted sailors have "hard luck" stories and most worked hard to overcome the bad hand life dealt them.   

What have you done since to make up for those poor grades?  worked to pay bills?  So what...we all do.   Many of us go to school after hours, study until midnight, and put in 110% effort to further our education.

If all you want is a waiver for piss-poor excuses than I'd throw your nuclear application in the trash if I were the MEPS XO.  All I read is that under stress you get D's.   Why should someone hire you to train as a nuclear plant operator?

Separately, in any event...choose a military job that you can market after you get out of the military.  If the recruiter is bullying you into something than that means he's either met his quota and doesn't care, or he knows he can bully you around.  If you want the nuclear waiver (and can come up with better reasons for your grades other than whining), then perhaps you'll have a shot...maybe based on your preemployment test scores.

Good luck.

Co58

Walifrex

« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:37 »

Everyone has problems...some much worse than yours and they chose to continue studying amidst their very unfortunate circumstance.  I'd say the majority of nuclear enlisted sailors have "hard luck" stories and most worked hard to overcome the bad hand life dealt them.   

What have you done since to make up for those poor grades?  worked to pay bills?  So what...we all do.   Many of us go to school after hours, study until midnight, and put in 110% effort to further our education.

If all you want is a waiver for piss-poor excuses than I'd throw your nuclear application in the trash if I were the MEPS XO.  All I read is that under stress you get D's.   Why should someone hire you to train as a nuclear plant operator?

Separately, in any event...choose a military job that you can market after you get out of the military.  If the recruiter is bullying you into something than that means he's either met his quota and doesn't care, or he knows he can bully you around.  If you want the nuclear waiver (and can come up with better reasons for your grades other than whining), then perhaps you'll have a shot...maybe based on your preemployment test scores.

Good luck.

Co58

Thank ya for the luck, as for the D's and so on, yeah, I gave up on those classes after getting switched around so many times, so yeah, its an excuse. The classes I didn't do so hot in were English. My hard science classes I had B's or A's in. I know you're going to see this as an excuse as well, but when push came to shove, IE, I wasn't going to have the credits to graduate, I busted my ass going to school outside my normal school to get the credits I needed.

I didn't know they would look at my high school so closely after 6 years of being out in the real world, especially after scoring high enough to qualify and everything else being fine. I made the choice of busting my ass working to devote myself to the job I had at the time., trying to make ends meet. Yeah, I didn't go to college, I should have, whoops. I screwed up a few times on the education front from being a dumb teenager.

I'm open to advice if ya got any though.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:43 »
You know what? Co60Slr gave you a hard hitting assessment and your reply showed more than a bit of responsibility and also showed you don't mind constructive feedback even if it might not be what you want to hear.

Is taking science/math related courses at a community college an option for the next semester?

DO NOT sign up simply to get a date!!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:54 »
Thank ya for the luck, as for the D's and so on, yeah, I gave up on those classes after getting switched around so many times, so yeah, its an excuse. The classes I didn't do so hot in were English. My hard science classes I had B's or A's in. I know you're going to see this as an excuse as well, but when push came to shove, IE, I wasn't going to have the credits to graduate, I busted my ass going to school outside my normal school to get the credits I needed.

I didn't know they would look at my high school so closely after 6 years of being out in the real world, especially after scoring high enough to qualify and everything else being fine. I made the choice of busting my ass working to devote myself to the job I had at the time., trying to make ends meet. Yeah, I didn't go to college, I should have, whoops. I screwed up a few times on the education front from being a dumb teenager.

I'm open to advice if ya got any though.

The reason they went back that far is because you have had nothing else since. I guess I am confused since I have known people to get waivers for way worse than what you have, but I am also not a doctor nor terribly familiar with what consideration goes into granting a waiver.

Like BZ said, perhaps taking a couple of courses at a community college to give them something recent to go on is in order.

Either way, good luck and I hope you get to go nuke!

Keep us posted!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2010, 12:07 »

Good luck.

Co58

First time I have to disagree with you.  How many enlisted nukes were full of similar excuses prior to entering the navy?  I know I was full of excuses for (insert random problem here, including some poor grades in high school).  But, I grew up fast and matured alot quickly in the navy.  Those of us who succeed in the program always do.

If I had had such a sense of ownership when I was 16, I probably would not have had to enlist in the navy.  I'm grateful I was given the chance to enter the program back in 1990. 

Cut the OP some slack for decisions made as a teenager (i.e. not an adult).

Just my .02
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2010, 12:17 »
Co60Slr is simply pointing out the tolerance for excuses in this industry is very low nd firing the warning shot to stop making them.

co60slr

« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2010, 12:59 »
First time I have to disagree with you.  How many enlisted nukes were full of similar excuses prior to entering the navy?  I know I was full of excuses for (insert random problem here, including some poor grades in high school).  But, I grew up fast and matured alot quickly in the navy.  Those of us who succeed in the program always do.

If I had had such a sense of ownership when I was 16, I probably would not have had to enlist in the navy.  I'm grateful I was given the chance to enter the program back in 1990. 

Cut the OP some slack for decisions made as a teenager (i.e. not an adult).
I don't think we're disagreeing too much.   It sounds like you, me, and the OP...and thousands of other successful nukes were once in his shoes. I too had to talk with a MEPS Station XO about my teenage years.   I didn't make excuses and it worked out pretty well.  My first active duty revelation during Week 1 of RTC was that I wasn't alone in my "teenage/family" troubles.

Additionally, these "waivers" don't stop at the front door of RTC.  I was questioned about my teenage years 2-3 times at important junctions in my enlisted career where people reminded me of the issue, the waiver, and if I was still appreciative for the "2nd chance".   Personally, I believe that the NNPP Enlisted community is largely a "second chance" organization for those that made some average, below average, and very poor "bad decisions" as a teenager.   The OP is no different...except for his blame game, which may indeed be a function of maturity.

However, I know a handful of people that continue to blame other people for their shortfalls in life well into their 40s.  It's never a pretty story, or a pretty sight to see.   So, in my opinion, the humble OP needs to recognize that the first step in becoming a man is being accountable.  You can't go much further in life until you do.  Giving him too much slack (again, not really my job to give it or take it away) will help him fail.

So, I stand by my assertion that his "hand written note" blaming everyone else for his 2.0 GPA needs to go.  That's where my help starts and ends.  The rest is up to him.  If I didn't think he was up to the challenge, I wouldn't have bothered posting.

In fact, if I wasn't helping so many people OUT of the Navy, I'd be getting tired of the free Navy:Getting IN consulting work that I've been doing.   However, I figure if I take one, I'll help the Navy get a new one.  There IS honor amidst us "thieves".  ;)  lol...

Walifrex

« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:21 »
You know what? Co60Slr gave you a hard hitting assessment and your reply showed more than a bit of responsibility and also showed you don't mind constructive feedback even if it might not be what you want to hear.

Is taking science/math related courses at a community college an option for the next semester?

DO NOT sign up simply to get a date!!

Kind of already did. Nuke coordinator told me to go ahead and do it when I was down at MEPS so I took AECF. Shipping out 20110413. He did tell me though that if I don't hear anything by Friday about getting switched over on what we have, that I should look into taking a handful of college courses to show them that I'm serious. If that turns out to be so, off to the local CC Monday to look into classes.

If that is what comes to pass, and in the interest of getting somewhat prepared for this, everything hopefully turning out to be alright down the road, what classes should I look into in the way of math and science? My math experience is subpar, never taken Pre-Calc.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2010, 01:28 »
what classes should I look into in the way of math and science? My math experience is subpar, never taken Pre-Calc.

Take College Algebra. It is an exact answer for the algebra class in high school. College Chemistry would be another good class, but if Physics meets your interests better that would be fine too.

I suggest finding a local college that has a "mini-mester" for credit in December and/or January. Then you have a completed College Algebra grade (B or better) to give to the Navy with months before shipping date.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:41 »
I also would not ship anywhere until I had the job I wanted. You haven't sworn an oath and are not obligated to settle for something less desireable.

By the way, is that 20110413 thing a star date?

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2010, 08:42 by JustinHEMI »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:58 »
Kind of already did. Nuke coordinator told me to go ahead and do it when I was down at MEPS so I took AECF. Shipping out 20110413. He did tell me though that if I don't hear anything by Friday about getting switched over on what we have, that I should look into taking a handful of college courses to show them that I'm serious. If that turns out to be so, off to the local CC Monday to look into classes.

50 quatloos says OP already signed and did first swearing. Advice at this point being moot.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2010, 09:46 by HydroDave63 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:46 »
If I remember correctly, first swearing isn't binding and just a ploy to gain commitment? I thought it wasn't really official until second swearing or am I off base?

Offline Estis

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:26 »
If I remember correctly, first swearing isn't binding and just a ploy to gain commitment? I thought it wasn't really official until second swearing or am I off base?

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep.htm

According to the above, the first swearing IS a binding contract, but the military just chooses not to prosecute anyone who breaks it. The "Star-Date" you mentioned is the date format that meps uses (yyyymmdd). While I agree with the sentiment that the OP should continue to fight for Nuke, refusing to ship in order to get the job may not be a wise idea. The following quote is from the link above...

"A DEP discharge has one, and only one negative effect: If you are discharged from the DEP, and later want to enlist in that SAME service, you will require a waiver. While waivers are usually granted, you may lose certain benefits, such as the ability to chose what job you want, or what date you will ship out to basic training."

So, if they let you back into the Navy at all, you may lose the ability to even choose ANY job you want, not just nuke...

I know that this link is from about.com and that the site doesn't have the greatest reputation for updated information (the post in question was written a few years ago, I believe). Does anyone else have more updated info/a more credible source to confirm/deny?
Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:30 »
Thank you!

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2010, 01:51 »
BS they want you to believe that. The second swearing is the contract. The first is like a Letter Of Intent.

Walifrex

« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2010, 03:20 »
Take College Algebra. It is an exact answer for the algebra class in high school. College Chemistry would be another good class, but if Physics meets your interests better that would be fine too.

I suggest finding a local college that has a "mini-mester" for credit in December and/or January. Then you have a completed College Algebra grade (B or better) to give to the Navy with months before shipping date.

Thank you. The Nuke Coordinator said something about an 8 week class at a local college, I was under the impression it was all ~19 week classes. I'll have to attack my local community college Friday to find out if they have any and what I can take.

Broadzilla, I got the feeling that was it as well. Most of my time at MEPS was people telling me that I better not lie to them because they are going to have my butt in a sling with all sorts of jail time if I do or if something goes wrong. Not that I had anything to lie to them about, my background is fairly clean, a few civil traffic tickets.

Really getting a mild feeling of dread that I shouldn't have just gotten the job and that I should have backed out and waited until I was sure I was going to get nuke.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2010, 03:35 »
I say again, I wouldn't ship without the job I want. Just call and tell them that, and don't dread it. They may harass you for backing out, but it is your life still.

Offline Rock Chalk Jayhawk

• Light User
  • Stay positive, and love your life!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2010, 03:51 »
Okay, here's the deal... Knowing what I know now, here's my suggestion:

1. Get ahold of the NFC (Nuke Field Coord.) Be sure he/she has routed your waiver.  If not, find out EVERYTHING they need in order to send it up.  
2. Ensure they get any and all required paperwork YESTERDAY.  
3. Keep in contact with them like you're ALREADY a Nuke Depper (forgive me, Future Sailor).
4. Stay OUT of trouble to ensure that you don't require any ADDITIONAL waivers!
5. As soon as your waiver is approved, hound your recruiter to send up your "reclass DAR" asap.

If you do these things, you'll get your spot in the NF.  Be sure to find a way to inject the word "Nuke" into every Recruiter/RINC/Zone Supe/NFC conversation you have until you get your contract changed. Don't make the Chain of Command hate you, but remember that the squeaky wheel gets oiled...it's a fine line to walk. ;D

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Good luck,

Rock Chalk
"A shortcut's a self defeating means.  If you cannot do it clean, you'll never reach your reward. And when the day is done, what you receive is the sum of what you took out from what you put in." ~311

Walifrex

« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:53 »
Okay, here's the deal... Knowing what I know now, here's my suggestion:

1. Get ahold of the NFC (Nuke Field Coord.) Be sure he/she has routed your waiver.  If not, find out EVERYTHING they need in order to send it up.  
2. Ensure they get any and all required paperwork YESTERDAY.  
3. Keep in contact with them like you're ALREADY a Nuke Depper (forgive me, Future Sailor).
4. Stay OUT of trouble to ensure that you don't require any ADDITIONAL waivers!
5. As soon as your waiver is approved, hound your recruiter to send up your "reclass DAR" asap.

If you do these things, you'll get your spot in the NF.  Be sure to find a way to inject the word "Nuke" into every Recruiter/RINC/Zone Supe/NFC conversation you have until you get your contract changed. Don't make the Chain of Command hate you, but remember that the squeaky wheel gets oiled...it's a fine line to walk. ;D

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Good luck,

Rock Chalk

Thank you for the advice, been working on things in about that line. Went to the first DEP meeting today and hounded my recruiter about my switching to nuke. Awaiting a call tomorrow from the recruiter about whats going on with the waiver as he didn't know anything today, if I don't hear anything back from him, I'm going to call the NFC myself to find out whats going on. Already planning on going to my local community college tomorrow that apparently has minimester things (Which I was told by the NFC to look into and take if needed.) and start on all that jazz. The CO of the recruiting office talked to me about that if I give my best, they will give their best and I will get nuke. I came clean and told him that I screwed up before and should have been paying better attention to my studies.

I've been doing just about everything but standing in their office chanting the word nuke over and over again. When I walked in the first time, that was what I wanted, when everything was going on about the ASVAB and down to MEPS, I wouldn't shut up about it, I'm not going to stop now.

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:49 »
In my very limited experience with a Navy recruiter in college, I learned that recruiter= liar. I wouldn't go unless it was in stone what your job was going to be and don't settle. Remember, to the recruiter you are just a number for the monthly quota...just like contract companies in the civilian world.

Good Luck in your endeavors and stay safe.

Offline Rock Chalk Jayhawk

• Light User
  • Stay positive, and love your life!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:31 »
In my very limited experience with a Navy recruiter in college, I learned that recruiter= liar. I wouldn't go unless it was in stone what your job was going to be and don't settle. Remember, to the recruiter you are just a number for the monthly quota...just like contract companies in the civilian world.

Good Luck in your endeavors and stay safe.

1. I feel sorry for you if this was truly the only experience you had.  As a nuke, I prided myself on telling applicants the good AND bad-I did no sugarcoating or truth-stretching (integrity)  ;)

2. Not all recruiters lie, at least not all the Navy recruiters...the OTHER branches....well...hmm, if you need to be told that your entire 6 yr nuke field commitment WON'T be spent hot-racking with some big, nasty, sweaty guy...what kind of logic store do YOU shop in? [BS] [pigfly]

3. SOMETIMES applicants have been known to have VERY selective hearing.  I don't know how many times an applicant came outta left field with some complete [BS] that I had allegedly told him or her!

4. Navy applicants are UNLIKE commercial contract company applicants (and Army applicants, for that matter), since the Navy recruiter's pay doesn't change whether he/she puts in 10 people or 0 in a given month.  We don't get the $2000 referral "reward", nor do we get a percentage of our deppers' first years' salary...Man, I WISH!!! ::)

Sorry to  [soap] , but getting  [OT] for a sec, The Kansas Jayhawks now have an active home winning streak of 64 games!

Rock Chalk!

"A shortcut's a self defeating means.  If you cannot do it clean, you'll never reach your reward. And when the day is done, what you receive is the sum of what you took out from what you put in." ~311

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:55 »
Awaiting a call tomorrow from the recruiter about whats going on with the waiver as he didn't know anything today, if I don't hear anything back from him, I'm going to call the NFC myself to find out whats going on.

Let us know how it goes!

Walifrex

« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2010, 04:20 »
Let us know how it goes!

Called the recruiter, he hadn't called the NFC yet, told me he would call me when he did. Waited a few hours, called the NFC who told me he hasn't heard anything, but turned in 7 waivers so should hear something by Monday.

Ran into a slight problem about the minimester at my local CC. Only one of them is a math class and its something called College Mathematics, apparently using college level math to solve real world problems by using things like set theory, probability, statistics, finance, and geometry. Its labeled as MAT142 so its atleast over 100, NFC said he wasn't sure if that would work, but to hold off until Monday to see if its needed.

They didn't have any hard science classes like Chemistry or Physics for the short semesters, and the longer semesters, I would be leaving before they would be over.

Hoping the math class will work, atleast overall, even if it doesn't cover the math that I need, I can study that math outside the class and just use the class to allow me to retake the NAPT. I know that was my major weak spot on that test, to the point where I was flat out guessing on parts.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?