Facility & Company Information > DC Cook

DRP content

<< < (4/5) > >>

atomicarcheologist:

--- Quote from: UncaBuffalo on Dec 05, 2010, 02:14 ---I get similar numbers just eyeballing it as a 6CEN

--- End quote ---
What "E" are you using?

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: Atomic Archeologist on Dec 07, 2010, 01:05 ---What "E" are you using?
--- End quote ---

JsonD's

--- Quote from: JsonD13 on Dec 04, 2010, 10:37 ---If your'e looking more for like a plant mix, I would assume closer to 1 MeV gamma energy (I don't work at a PWR though so I'm not that knowledgable on what they have as an average mix), and roughly divide the dose by 2.5 (total gamma energy for Co-60 rounding yield for both gammas to 100%), which would give around 5 REM/hr.

--- End quote ---

Oh, by the way...what kind of numbers did you get when you did your receipt survey?

--- Quote from: Marlin on Dec 03, 2010, 01:39 ---What I get is that you are looking for the true contact dose rate as opposed to the indicated dose rate. I would think that your rad engineers or in plant Health Physicist would have charts on hand for that kind of thing or know where to find or calculate this. If you are looking for the basis for the document you are currently using in plant I would just ask these same people who probably generated it.

--- End quote ---

Marlin (as usual) had the RIGHT answer to this question:  The indicated contact dose rate is NOT the true contact dose rate.   (....and probably isn't ALARA!)

If you really want to check whether your RO2 is working and all you have is this DRP and you can figure out a legitimate 'E' to put into your 6CEN and you keep in mind that true contact dose rate is horrendous (and protect yourself from said dose) and on and on and on...then you probably could figure out a reasonable one foot reading that it might make sense to try to measure with an RO2...but...make sure you use some of HydroDave's "Luminiferous Ether".  ;)

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: Marssim on Dec 08, 2010, 09:30 ---C'mon Unc, geeeeez,....

If you're RO-2 was calibrated to the appropriate ANSI / ISO / etcetera standard, and it is still source checking within specification on all ranges, your RO-2 is working as designed ans as intended.

Perhaps it is not the best tool for the details of the inquiry, but that is not the tools fault.

--- End quote ---

Look at my post...I did use the ' ;)'...but...to answer your post:

The way I read it:
--- Quote from: Atomic Archeologist on Dec 01, 2010, 03:33 ---I just surveyed a DRP that came to where I'm working from DC Cook.  Since I recently started here, I figured I would use this to do my own QC on this site's instrumentation.  This DRP came in at 1 mCi.   Based on site specific MFP, what would one expect the dose rate to be, with a RO2?

--- End quote ---

1.  The OP isn't sure whether his instrument is calibrated correctly.

and

2.  Doesn't have a real source.

Yes?  No?

(I only responded to JsonD because he seemed to be assuming the RO2 would give a +/- 20% of a theoretical dose rate at contact...and that is a very un-safe assumption.)

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: Marssim on Dec 08, 2010, 12:41 ---My bad, I figured the winky guy was for the ether reference.

I'm pretty sure the +/- 20% is straight out of Eberlines accuracy specs for the full range of energies measured by the RO-2 doorstop device.

;-)

--- End quote ---

For a dose rate (ie. uniform field, not DRP) that an RO2 is designed to measure, yes, I agree +/- 20% is standard.  

The point I am trying to make is that the RO2 will NOT read within 20% of the TRUE contact reading.  I vaguely remember correction factors of up to TIMES 250 at some plants, depending on whether the DRP was activation product, MFP, or...?  

atomicarcheologist:

--- Quote from: UncaBuffalo on Dec 07, 2010, 03:09 ---
Oh, by the way...what kind of numbers did you get when you did your receipt surv

--- End quote ---
If I were to tell you my number, how will that help answer my query?  However, I will allow that my use of the RO2 was mandated by my other meter being off-scale.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version