Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Spru Incident

Author Topic: Spru Incident  (Read 14248 times)

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Spru Incident
« on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:15 »
I guess we all know why they are trying to hire RCT's and Rad engineers

wow this type B incident report is a interesting read.
http://www.spru.energy.gov/

PAULTHEVOL

Re: Spru Incident
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2010, 04:26 »
Rock Neveau would be able to provide some great comments on this.
He was sent up there by SEC to help develop the corrective actions to get work started again.
After reading this all I can say to Rock is,"I will remember you in my prayers my brother" (Just kidding...I have to admit I thought you were exaggerating)
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2010, 04:31 by T.VOLS »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:28 »
If interested, here is a comprehensive report on the incident. It seems that open air demo of Alpha contaminated stuff is a BAD idea!!!

http://www.spru.energy.gov/Final%20Report%20-%20SPRU%20Type%20B.pdf
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2010, 09:15 »
My favorite was the radiological survey performed by telecon..... ???

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:33 »
I know some of the players in this and I unfortunately (from working some decommissionings with them) am not surprised.

roadhard

« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:09 »
SCWE?

"- - - the board was informed that the Waste Superintendent admonished the RCT for stopping work - - - "

Git-er-dun

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:04 »
SCWE?

"- - - the board was informed that the Waste Superintendent admonished the RCT for stopping work - - - "

Git-er-dun

I beat this drum pretty often...

RP has a legal obligation to enforce a code of Federal Regulations. To me, that means that there are legal consequences for the responsible ANSI qualified technician/supervisor overseeing the job if he/she is pushed to make consessions in controls and does. I do not believe that anyones word trumps mine in the field when there are radiological conditions to control. If pushed, I will stop all work in a very public manor and have this talk with those involved. If forced beyond that, I back out and let someone else take the responsibility. I also like to mention that if someone willfully disobeys RP direction, they may be violating a federal law.

In my experience, when you start using language like that it gets people to listen to you and take you seriously. This language is even more important in an Alpha contaminated area. It frustrates me to no end to have people argue with the controls that are prescribed by RP, Particularly when they are not RP folks.

You can not take exposure back. We work in a nuclear environment, so we do things the "nuclear way". The folks that argue for RP consessions and then continue to argue or start "shopping around" for the answer that they are looking for, have no business in our industry.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:11 »
Amen Brother, Preach on!!!!
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Jr8black3

« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:22 »
I agree with Brett 100%...

Offline TENN-1

• Moderate User
  • Finished the 5 year plan in only 34!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2010, 02:55 »
Oh my, here comes the negative Karma. 

I too agree with Brett, BUT, there is a limit to which that drum can be beat.  We have all seen the technician, and I have played the part too, where work is stopped unnecessarily in the name of "Radiological Safety" forcing a delay which eventually costs everyone dose. Remember, by definition the ALARA mantra carries the "as low as reasonably achievable" not "as low as possible".   While I don't know much about the evils of alpha I do know a little about the dose vs. schedule.  In my experience shutting the airlock door early by shortening the outage has had as much an impact on overall exposure and safety as any one single item.  There are times when letting the outage horse run between the curbs is appropriate and stopping work for the sake of stopping work causes more headaches then solutions.  Knowledge and power: it's a delicate balance.  If anyone figures it out - please share.
Things come to those who wait, but usually it's stuff left over from those who hustle!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:20 »
Oh my, here comes the negative Karma. 

I too agree with Brett, BUT, there is a limit to which that drum can be beat.  We have all seen the technician, and I have played the part too, where work is stopped unnecessarily in the name of "Radiological Safety" forcing a delay which eventually costs everyone dose. Remember, by definition the ALARA mantra carries the "as low as reasonably achievable" not "as low as possible".   While I don't know much about the evils of alpha I do know a little about the dose vs. schedule.  In my experience shutting the airlock door early by shortening the outage has had as much an impact on overall exposure and safety as any one single item.  There are times when letting the outage horse run between the curbs is appropriate and stopping work for the sake of stopping work causes more headaches then solutions.  Knowledge and power: it's a delicate balance.  If anyone figures it out - please share.

When you are playing the CO-60 game, the consequences are much less. On sites like mine, where the isotopes of concern are heavy bone seekers (Am-241, Pu-239), you don't get a second chance. The amount it takes in the air to over expose someone is shockingly small compared to CO-60, remember that your body doesn't get rid of Am-241 and Pu-239, you get to keep it forever. We created 10 DAC by simply walking 4 feet across a small cubicle that had 2k dpm/100cm2 general area Alpha contamination levels. There was an incident at another facility here in CA where someone got 42 REM of exposure to the surface of the bones, 2.4 REM TEDE and the biggest alpha number in the report was 606 dpm/100cm2 Alpha! It is a much different game with much bigger consequences. I am more production oriented in a normal outage scenario where you have your normal corrosion products to deal with. On my site, we have very little Gamma exposure to control. There is going to be some risk in the work that we do, but it has to be minimized 100 fold compared to a beta/gamma plant. To me, where I am ok with a small uptake in the name of ALARA during an outage, there is no scenario that I can think of on a site like mine where the ALARA thing to do would be to allow an uptake of any kind. There is no schedule in the world that is important enough to take the risk of a potentially lethal or life shortening exposure.

I didn't fully understand these things until I got here a couple of years ago. This report was near and dear to my heart because I am planning the demo of a really big outdoor tank that has similar numbers. We are going to build a well engineered building around it and take it apart using fixatives and very non-aggressive cutting methods. PAPR protection for everyone! Originally the project (mostly operating commercial plant experience) wanted to open air demo it just like they did in this report. My way will take a much larger budget and a lot more time...and there is simply no other choice.

I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Jr8black3

« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2010, 04:51 »
When you have to say oh chit, it's to late, and you have to deal with it. I really feel for those folks..

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?