Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 6112M vs. 6112B High-Range Detector

Author Topic: 6112M vs. 6112B High-Range Detector  (Read 5612 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
6112M vs. 6112B High-Range Detector
« on: Dec 05, 2010, 02:04 »
The 6112B had a 'hash-mark' on the high-range detector line, because the detector wasn't centered.  I do not see such a mark on the 6112M...is the detector centered now?

(I'll start googling, but thought maybe someone knew off the top of their head...)

Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2010, 02:29 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Re: 6112M vs. 6112B High-Range Detector
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2010, 02:27 »
The 6112B had a 'hash-mark' on the high-range detector line, because the detector wasn't centered.  I do not see such a mark on the 6112M...is the detector centered now?

(I'll start googling now, but thought maybe someone knew off the top of their head...)

Thanks!  :)

http://www.voss-associates.com/downloads/6112M_E.pdf

Okay, on page 33, they talk about 'preferential direction' and 'radial on marking grooves', so maybe it just looks different than I'm used to...I'll put on my reading glasses and stare a little harder at the marking grooves when I get back to work...

However, now I have a new concern:  Read the first paragraph on page 5.  It says the 6112M will auto-switch between detectors.  That's all well and good in a uniform field, but how do I use it on a point-source?  It seems like there would be a way to force it to be on a certain detector, so you knew that it was actually in a good geometry with your fuel-flea...?
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2010, 02:28 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:43 »
However, now I have a new concern:  Read the first paragraph on page 5.  It says the 6112M will auto-switch between detectors.  That's all well and good in a uniform field, but how do I use it on a point-source?  It seems like there would be a way to force it to be on a certain detector, so you knew that it was actually in a good geometry with your fuel-flea...?

I used one of these to play with some hot trash the other night...and they are worthless for midrange point sources.  If you try to get the low range detector on the point, it auto-scales to the high range...and back to the low range...and back to the high range...ad infinitum...

I love the audible feature, so will continue to use the 6112M, but it needs to be modified so the user can forcefeed it which detector to be on.  If I had needed a 'real' contact dose rate, I would have had to bail out & grab a 6112B.  

modified for spelling
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2011, 02:46 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:07 »
I used one of these to play with some hot trash the other night...and they are worthless for midrange point sources.  If you ty to get the low range detector on the point, it auto-scales to the high range...and back to the low range...and back to the high range...ad infinitum...

I love the audible feature, so will continue to use the 6112M, but it needs to be modified so the user can forcefeed it which detector to be on.  If I had needed a 'real' contact dose rate, I would have had to bail out & grab a 6112B. 

Or a "real RO-2" - of course after you had gotten finger rings & multi-badge, etc., so you could get close enough!   [dowave]
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:40 »
Or a "real RO-2" - of course after you had gotten finger rings & multi-badge, etc., so you could get close enough!   [dowave]

Too many point sources in this trash...I needed something with a small detector to get a realistic contact dose rate...

My tried-and-true OLD RO2 was right there for the rest of the job!  :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?