Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How to fix outages.  

Author Topic: How to fix outages.  (Read 6123 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
How to fix outages.
« on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:09 »
What ideas or suggestions do you have on how to improve the outage experience?

One of the good ideas I've heard many times (And I can't believe all plants don't do this) is to schedule the people that will be working night shift for the outage to in-process and train at night.  It would cut the crowd in training in half, the parking in half, etc.  It would be a WIN for the utilities.  -- It's not like the people teaching in training aren't going into the outage to do shift work too, because they are. -- It would really help the workers that go from night shift outage to night shift outage to night owl to night shift outage with their sleep and performance.  We are not getting any younger.  It's getting harder for our bodies to adapt.

So, what suggestions do you have for improving the outage experience?

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
Re: How to fix outages.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:30 »
One thing I would like is when the recruiters post outage lists is that they would put them into packages. That way you know what plants are back to back and such. Also I think it might help to get a leave date so you know how to plan if your going to have to find another outage.

OH and put up a flashing light or something to tell us where the access road is to the plant. Some of the places I've been are hard to find.

Can't think of any more right now.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:04 »
One thing I would like is when the recruiters post outage lists is that they would put them into packages. That way you know what plants are back to back and such. Also I think it might help to get a leave date so you know how to plan if your going to have to find another outage.

OH and put up a flashing light or something to tell us where the access road is to the plant. Some of the places I've been are hard to find.

And a Bat Signal!  Seriously, those are good ideas.  Keep them coming.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:21 »

Great idea!  I think it would hugely benefit the contractors as they wouldn't have to recruit everyone for EACH outage.  For us, knowing what to expect will greatly help in the anxious factor.   
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:16 »

They already have leave dates, its just that most times the utilities don't stick to them. As soon as they get ahead of schedule they cut the flock by a few people. If they are behind schedule they won't let you leave when you need to. For this reason even if you had a leave date it would be a shot in the dark whether you left then or not. The utilities don't really care if you have a start date at some other utility, if they are behind then you won't be leaving unless you just walk out and quit. That will help you set fire to some of your bridges at least.

I believe if the contract companies would bargain for reduced rates at motels; like IRM used to do, that would be a big help. Most times when you go for a 30 day outage you will not be able to get a reduced rate at the motels, and you may as well write that deposit off. I remember back in the day when IRM would rent the entire motel for their workers, and charge us the reduced rate.

One other thing that would help is if the Utilities would space the outages out so it would be easier to go from one to the other.  They even overlap at the same Utility making it difficult to get from one plant to the other sometimes.With the way they overlap now it's hard to get more than 4 months a year unless you are long term somewhere.

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:58 »
I've been to one plant that trained in the afternoon until about 22:00 that was nice since I was going to night shift. It's tough on the training staff though, they cant work all day and all night.

Henry, you're right about schedules even within the same utility, but, it's all about money and whether or not the company is is buying or selling. Having two units down at one time in March is often more cost effective than having one unit down in May.

If I were thirty years younger I'd say bring back those 120 day outages where we worked 6-7 12's....but since I aint so young any more, I say let's quit doing outages all together and go do some routines! Two outages next year...that blows!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?