Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I&C Tech coming out of Pharma, want to get into NUKES

Author Topic: I&C Tech coming out of Pharma, want to get into NUKES  (Read 3916 times)

SYavo

Hi All,

I have been doing instrumentation/controls/metrology work for about ten years now (I am 32). I do not have any certificates (such as from the ISA), but do have two associates degrees from the Community College of the Air Force: one in aircraft maintenance (F-15/F-16 electrician) and one in electronics (cross-trained to Satellite Telecommunications). I also have a Secret clearance. My past experience mainly involves instrumentation for military testing, analytical instrument system integration, and pharmaceutical plant instrumentation integration and metrology. I presently am an independent contractor working for an integrator (E-Technologies Group), but work has been kind of slow lately. A friend of mine who has worked nukes in the past is pointing me towards breaking into the nuclear industry since pharma seems to be going the way of the auto companies.

I have posted my resume on the site here and was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers. I have some rather extensive experience in the I&C field and am pretty good at what I do… However, the often repeated mantra on this forum is “how can I break in to nukes without the nuke experience?” I have gotten a few call-backs from recruiters, but mainly to tell me they would love to hire me if I had ANY nuke background (my work on nuke weapons systems does not count…  ;D ) Anyway, I guess I am just looking for an entry level I&C tech job.

Here is an exerpt from my generic cover letter I have been tweeking for various nuke positions:

“Although I do not have specific nuke experience, I am confident that my military, aviation, and pharmaceutical background would be a perfect transition. My experience base ranges from working as a simple technician, to duties as an I&C Engineer; specifying and managing the procurement, installation, calibration, and commissioning of instrumentation/DCS/PLC systems involving over five thousand I/O. I was promoted based on my demonstrated ability to adapt to new situations, to quickly learn new systems and processes, and because of my attention to detail. I believe that these traits would be an ideal springboard into nuke work; especially because my previous experience involved highly regulated and documentation intensive industries.”

Any-who, any pointers you might have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Steve Y.

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: I&C Tech coming out of Pharma, want to get into NUKES
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:15 »
Well, speaking as a "simple" technician, I'd say you sound more qualified than most of the people that we have hired in the past several years.  However I do have a couple of suggestions.

1.  In your cover letter, drop the nuke and substitute nuclear.  A small point but it could be an important one.

2.  The nuclear industry as a whole is progressing towards more digital instrumentation, but slowly.  Many of the existing plants were designed in the 60's, and believe it or not, still have instruments from that era.  While your DCS/PLC experience will be welcome, you need to let prospective employers know that you can handle older equipment also.

3.  In your resume, make sure you emphasize any troubleshooting experience you have, along with any team/group leadership experience.  At any interview be prepared to discuss each topic in detail.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

SYavo

Re: I&C Tech coming out of Pharma, want to get into NUKES
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:23 »
Thanks for the tips...

I am "under consideration" with Progress Energy. You folks know anything about them?

I will keep everyone informed...

Steve Y.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?