Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu "Nerdy" Nukes
honeypot

Author Topic: "Nerdy" Nukes  (Read 79612 times)

Trevar

"Nerdy" Nukes
« on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:50 »
Hey everyone, first i would like to thank everyone for the in-depth explanations on this website and all of the great advice given to others (any myself) have strongly influenced my decision in choosing enlist as a "Nuke" in the Navy.

I've got a rather lighthearted question, I've read a lot of reference to "Nukes" being nerdy and/or geeky in many of the forums with talk of warcraft, trading card games, etc.
So is NPS a nerdfest or something? Not a bad thing by any means, because I myself am the type of person to get a total hard on for Sci-Fi, video games, and other various activities falling under those stereotypes. I'm just curious about what the people there are like a whole i guess, since I'm already aware that the schooling is going to be quite difficult, demanding, and time consuming.

Either way, thanks to all of the men/women on this site (and not on this site for that matter) for the service to our country, and i can't wait to one day fall into the ranks of the disgruntled middle aged people telling the future versions of themselves how their career field is REALLY going to be. (just kidding, with the disgruntled part...don't crucify me :D)
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 09:58 by Trevar »

Fermi2

Re: "Nerdy" Nukes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:57 »
Just regular people, though as a group they are brighter than most. Like any group their interests run the gamut.

AS for that other stuff you posted about video games and such, I never got into that crap.

My guess is with the younger nukes growing up in a more electronically enlightened age you'll see more and more into video games.

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:29 »
I've been one of those guys my entire life who was a "nerd" but managed to still be a normal guy, into normal things such as sports, cars, women, etc etc. I've been placed in situations where I was in a sea of "nerdy nerds" who did absolutely nothing but talk about World of Warcraft (which I've played, but still had other interests), D&D, etc.

I'm sure NPS, like anything else, will be what you make of it, and I'm sure there will be plenty of like-minded people there to associate with.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:00 »

+K if you remember this movie!
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 06:00 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:42 »
Just regular people, though as a group they are brighter than most. Like any group their interests run the gamut.

AS for that other stuff you posted about video games and such, I never got into that crap.

My guess is with the younger nukes growing up in a more electronically enlightened age you'll see more and more into video games.

I'm here in Goose Creek now and can say that this quote pretty much sums it up in its entirety. I am personally not really into video games either but I know a LOT of people on base are. There isn't a night that goes by where I don't hear the sounds of machine guns and this likes coming through the HVAC vents in the barracks.

I will say this though; most guys here are either interested in drinking and chasing women, or video games. Either way you slice it, the people here lean either one way or the other in this regard and a lot of them (being young guys who typically spent more time being "smart" than socializing in high school) are fairly socially awkward. The females on base, well, I'm not entirely sure what they do with their spare time other than become serial daters collecting "nuke boyfriends" like dots on a pac-man game.  I guess it's pretty much par for the course though with the typical age range of people on base, just like college.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:54 »

pssssst, the cheat is too easy, click on "Quote" and the entire url pops up, from protocol to file extension it's all too readily readable,.... 8)
I continually feel less smart after reading your posts.  Never thought it would be that easy!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:01 »

NERDS!!!!!  Ogre is a personal hero of mine ... :D

To the OP : you will be in groups of hundreds and you will get similar demographics anywhere else you go.  People call nukes "nerds" Because we have a collectively higher intelligence. Anyone smart is automatically deemed a "nerd" until proven otherwise.   Its all hype. Wait till you get to meet those "I coulda been a nuke, but I decided to be a paint chipper instead" comments :) Then you can laugh when they call you a nerd.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:06 »
Some of my friends chased women and drank beer in nuke school.  Others stuck to Everquest.  Just like everywhere else in the world, lots of kinds of people doing lots of kinds of stuff.  Most everyone was normal.  Except for the vampire people.  Anyone in Charleston around 99-00?  You have to remember them.

The only people I remember going on and on about how all nukes were nerds were my forward submarine brothers.  It was easy to forgive them, seeing as how we were much, much smarter :)

Not that you should be worried about leisure time, you're there to study!

Yes I was there.  I remember the infinite number of the Navy issue "trench coat mafia".  100 degrees outside and they are walking around in their navy issue rain coat.  I actually saw the self proclaimed "queen" of the vampires a few years later in San Dog.  Those people scared me

On a side note though, I found that every nuke had at least 1 "geeky" or "nerdy" habit, even if it was like comic books, sci-fi movies or some other strange hobby like Warhammer.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:02 »

LMAO they called me Ogre in Nuke school!

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:12 »
On a side note though, I found that every nuke had at least 1 "geeky" or "nerdy" habit, even if it was like comic books, sci-fi movies or some other strange hobby like Warhammer.

I don't think I know anyone these days that doesn't have at least one "nerdy" habit...

Wait, I can think of one. My 30-year-old farmer/seed salesman brother who watches Gossip Girl  :P

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:56 »
Yes I was there.  I remember the infinite number of the Navy issue "trench coat mafia".  100 degrees outside and they are walking around in their navy issue rain coat.  I actually saw the self proclaimed "queen" of the vampires a few years later in San Dog.  Those people scared me

Oh yes, I remember them. Down in Orlando, there were a lot of the "I could have been a nuke..." people manning the gates, often of the trench coat wearing variety.

I do remember when I first got to A school in Orlando, where I was assigned to the ET floor in the high rise. My first weekend there, I remember leaving Friday night to go find life in Orlando, and a group of ETs were playing magic. When I came back Sunday night, the same group was still there in the same clothes. ;D Stereotypes are born somewhere LOL

As far as my nerdom is concerned, I am a Trekkie, hate what they added into the original Star Wars films, love the Star Gate series, had pin ups of Diana from V in my room instead of the typical young boy pin ups, etc. That is all I will reveal about my nerdom. :P
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 11:00 by JustinHEMI »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:46 »
pssssst, the cheat is too easy, click on "Quote" and the entire url pops up, from protocol to file extension it's all too readily readable,.... 8)

It's even easier than that... right click on the pic and choose properties.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:25 »
It's even easier than that... right click on the pic and choose properties.

"Properties" isn't an option in the right click menu of Firefox. But "View Image", or "View Image Info" both should work.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:26 »
On later OS versions I think that comes up as "View Image Info",....

I'm kinda sure the "Quote" cheat works for all OS's,....

It's not the operating system, its the browser software.

And 'Later OS'.... are you saying he has an OLD OS? :old:
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2010, 09:27 by Rennhack »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:13 »
It's not the operating system, its the browser software.

And 'Later OS'.... are you saying he has an OLD OS? :old:

I think he was talking about the computer OS, not mine.  ::)

The OS is old (XP Pro), but I am talking about IE7 -- it is what they give us here so it is what I use. Obviously, different browsers will use different words to describe the information for the small percentage of people that don't use MS, but I bet they all have something that can be figured out with a minimum of effort and even less intelligence.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:16 »
I think he was talking about the computer OS, not mine.  ::)

The OS is old (XP Pro), but I am talking about IE7 -- it is what they give us here so it is what I use. Obviously, different browsers will use different words to describe the information for the small percentage of people that don't use MS, but I bet they all have something that can be figured out with a minimum of effort and even less intelligence.

Way to prove the OP's point guys. ;)

8)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:34 »
Way to prove the OP's point guys. ;)

8)

Anything I can do to help the topic along.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:52 »
Oh yes, I remember them. Down in Orlando, there were a lot of the "I could have been a nuke..." people manning the gates, often of the trench coat wearing variety.

I do remember when I first got to A school in Orlando, where I was assigned to the ET floor in the high rise. My first weekend there, I remember leaving Friday night to go find life in Orlando, and a group of ETs were playing magic. When I came back Sunday night, the same group was still there in the same clothes. ;D Stereotypes are born somewhere LOL

As far as my nerdom is concerned, I am a Trekkie, hate what they added into the original Star Wars films, love the Star Gate series, had pin ups of Diana from V in my room instead of the typical young boy pin ups, etc. That is all I will reveal about my nerdom. :P

I gotta say that the new V has some girls in it that ain't exactly hard on the eyes.  The daughter alone is probably causing global warming in this section  of the world. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:20 »
Haha yes. Sadly, I think this is the last season for that show. At least they are bringing Jane Badler back for a stint! ;D

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:28 »

I gotta say that the new V has some girls in it that ain't exactly hard on the eyes.  The daughter alone is probably causing global warming in this section  of the world. 

Just to keep the nerd theme rolling along (and not that I watch "V," but I noticed it from the commercials), the woman with the short black hair just so happens to have been an actress on Firefly :D

Offline drumstick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2010, 12:44 »
Just to keep the nerd theme rolling along (and not that I watch "V," but I noticed it from the commercials), the woman with the short black hair just so happens to have been an actress on Firefly :D

And Stargate SG-1.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:26 »
And Stargate SG-1.

Yup she played the hottie demi god.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2010, 08:46 »

Is it bad that I hate myself for knowing what firefly is? haha We watched the whole season like 30 times on deployment.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:04 »
Is it bad that I hate myself for knowing what firefly is? haha We watched the whole season like 30 times on deployment.

What ?!? No reruns of Porky's 2, John Wayne movies or Red Dawn? THAT'S what is wrong with your generation!!!   :old:

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:23 »
What ?!? No reruns of Porky's 2, John Wayne movies or Red Dawn? THAT'S what is wrong with your generation!!!   :old:

Some of my boats classics included Army of Darkness and, believe it or not, Dirty Dancing
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?