Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu "Nerdy" Nukes honeypot

Author Topic: "Nerdy" Nukes  (Read 79465 times)

Trevar

"Nerdy" Nukes
« on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:50 »
Hey everyone, first i would like to thank everyone for the in-depth explanations on this website and all of the great advice given to others (any myself) have strongly influenced my decision in choosing enlist as a "Nuke" in the Navy.

I've got a rather lighthearted question, I've read a lot of reference to "Nukes" being nerdy and/or geeky in many of the forums with talk of warcraft, trading card games, etc.
So is NPS a nerdfest or something? Not a bad thing by any means, because I myself am the type of person to get a total hard on for Sci-Fi, video games, and other various activities falling under those stereotypes. I'm just curious about what the people there are like a whole i guess, since I'm already aware that the schooling is going to be quite difficult, demanding, and time consuming.

Either way, thanks to all of the men/women on this site (and not on this site for that matter) for the service to our country, and i can't wait to one day fall into the ranks of the disgruntled middle aged people telling the future versions of themselves how their career field is REALLY going to be. (just kidding, with the disgruntled part...don't crucify me :D)
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 09:58 by Trevar »

Fermi2

Re: "Nerdy" Nukes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:57 »
Just regular people, though as a group they are brighter than most. Like any group their interests run the gamut.

AS for that other stuff you posted about video games and such, I never got into that crap.

My guess is with the younger nukes growing up in a more electronically enlightened age you'll see more and more into video games.

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:29 »
I've been one of those guys my entire life who was a "nerd" but managed to still be a normal guy, into normal things such as sports, cars, women, etc etc. I've been placed in situations where I was in a sea of "nerdy nerds" who did absolutely nothing but talk about World of Warcraft (which I've played, but still had other interests), D&D, etc.

I'm sure NPS, like anything else, will be what you make of it, and I'm sure there will be plenty of like-minded people there to associate with.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:00 »

+K if you remember this movie!
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 06:00 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:42 »
Just regular people, though as a group they are brighter than most. Like any group their interests run the gamut.

AS for that other stuff you posted about video games and such, I never got into that crap.

My guess is with the younger nukes growing up in a more electronically enlightened age you'll see more and more into video games.

I'm here in Goose Creek now and can say that this quote pretty much sums it up in its entirety. I am personally not really into video games either but I know a LOT of people on base are. There isn't a night that goes by where I don't hear the sounds of machine guns and this likes coming through the HVAC vents in the barracks.

I will say this though; most guys here are either interested in drinking and chasing women, or video games. Either way you slice it, the people here lean either one way or the other in this regard and a lot of them (being young guys who typically spent more time being "smart" than socializing in high school) are fairly socially awkward. The females on base, well, I'm not entirely sure what they do with their spare time other than become serial daters collecting "nuke boyfriends" like dots on a pac-man game.  I guess it's pretty much par for the course though with the typical age range of people on base, just like college.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:54 »

pssssst, the cheat is too easy, click on "Quote" and the entire url pops up, from protocol to file extension it's all too readily readable,.... 8)
I continually feel less smart after reading your posts.  Never thought it would be that easy!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:01 »

NERDS!!!!!  Ogre is a personal hero of mine ... :D

To the OP : you will be in groups of hundreds and you will get similar demographics anywhere else you go.  People call nukes "nerds" Because we have a collectively higher intelligence. Anyone smart is automatically deemed a "nerd" until proven otherwise.   Its all hype. Wait till you get to meet those "I coulda been a nuke, but I decided to be a paint chipper instead" comments :) Then you can laugh when they call you a nerd.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:06 »
Some of my friends chased women and drank beer in nuke school.  Others stuck to Everquest.  Just like everywhere else in the world, lots of kinds of people doing lots of kinds of stuff.  Most everyone was normal.  Except for the vampire people.  Anyone in Charleston around 99-00?  You have to remember them.

The only people I remember going on and on about how all nukes were nerds were my forward submarine brothers.  It was easy to forgive them, seeing as how we were much, much smarter :)

Not that you should be worried about leisure time, you're there to study!

Yes I was there.  I remember the infinite number of the Navy issue "trench coat mafia".  100 degrees outside and they are walking around in their navy issue rain coat.  I actually saw the self proclaimed "queen" of the vampires a few years later in San Dog.  Those people scared me

On a side note though, I found that every nuke had at least 1 "geeky" or "nerdy" habit, even if it was like comic books, sci-fi movies or some other strange hobby like Warhammer.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:02 »

LMAO they called me Ogre in Nuke school!

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:12 »
On a side note though, I found that every nuke had at least 1 "geeky" or "nerdy" habit, even if it was like comic books, sci-fi movies or some other strange hobby like Warhammer.

I don't think I know anyone these days that doesn't have at least one "nerdy" habit...

Wait, I can think of one. My 30-year-old farmer/seed salesman brother who watches Gossip Girl  :P

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:56 »
Yes I was there.  I remember the infinite number of the Navy issue "trench coat mafia".  100 degrees outside and they are walking around in their navy issue rain coat.  I actually saw the self proclaimed "queen" of the vampires a few years later in San Dog.  Those people scared me

Oh yes, I remember them. Down in Orlando, there were a lot of the "I could have been a nuke..." people manning the gates, often of the trench coat wearing variety.

I do remember when I first got to A school in Orlando, where I was assigned to the ET floor in the high rise. My first weekend there, I remember leaving Friday night to go find life in Orlando, and a group of ETs were playing magic. When I came back Sunday night, the same group was still there in the same clothes. ;D Stereotypes are born somewhere LOL

As far as my nerdom is concerned, I am a Trekkie, hate what they added into the original Star Wars films, love the Star Gate series, had pin ups of Diana from V in my room instead of the typical young boy pin ups, etc. That is all I will reveal about my nerdom. :P
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 11:00 by JustinHEMI »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:46 »
pssssst, the cheat is too easy, click on "Quote" and the entire url pops up, from protocol to file extension it's all too readily readable,.... 8)

It's even easier than that... right click on the pic and choose properties.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:25 »
It's even easier than that... right click on the pic and choose properties.

"Properties" isn't an option in the right click menu of Firefox. But "View Image", or "View Image Info" both should work.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:26 »
On later OS versions I think that comes up as "View Image Info",....

I'm kinda sure the "Quote" cheat works for all OS's,....

It's not the operating system, its the browser software.

And 'Later OS'.... are you saying he has an OLD OS? :old:
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2010, 09:27 by Rennhack »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:13 »
It's not the operating system, its the browser software.

And 'Later OS'.... are you saying he has an OLD OS? :old:

I think he was talking about the computer OS, not mine.  ::)

The OS is old (XP Pro), but I am talking about IE7 -- it is what they give us here so it is what I use. Obviously, different browsers will use different words to describe the information for the small percentage of people that don't use MS, but I bet they all have something that can be figured out with a minimum of effort and even less intelligence.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:16 »
I think he was talking about the computer OS, not mine.  ::)

The OS is old (XP Pro), but I am talking about IE7 -- it is what they give us here so it is what I use. Obviously, different browsers will use different words to describe the information for the small percentage of people that don't use MS, but I bet they all have something that can be figured out with a minimum of effort and even less intelligence.

Way to prove the OP's point guys. ;)

8)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:34 »
Way to prove the OP's point guys. ;)

8)

Anything I can do to help the topic along.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:52 »
Oh yes, I remember them. Down in Orlando, there were a lot of the "I could have been a nuke..." people manning the gates, often of the trench coat wearing variety.

I do remember when I first got to A school in Orlando, where I was assigned to the ET floor in the high rise. My first weekend there, I remember leaving Friday night to go find life in Orlando, and a group of ETs were playing magic. When I came back Sunday night, the same group was still there in the same clothes. ;D Stereotypes are born somewhere LOL

As far as my nerdom is concerned, I am a Trekkie, hate what they added into the original Star Wars films, love the Star Gate series, had pin ups of Diana from V in my room instead of the typical young boy pin ups, etc. That is all I will reveal about my nerdom. :P

I gotta say that the new V has some girls in it that ain't exactly hard on the eyes.  The daughter alone is probably causing global warming in this section  of the world. 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:20 »
Haha yes. Sadly, I think this is the last season for that show. At least they are bringing Jane Badler back for a stint! ;D

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:28 »

I gotta say that the new V has some girls in it that ain't exactly hard on the eyes.  The daughter alone is probably causing global warming in this section  of the world. 

Just to keep the nerd theme rolling along (and not that I watch "V," but I noticed it from the commercials), the woman with the short black hair just so happens to have been an actress on Firefly :D

Offline drumstick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2010, 12:44 »
Just to keep the nerd theme rolling along (and not that I watch "V," but I noticed it from the commercials), the woman with the short black hair just so happens to have been an actress on Firefly :D

And Stargate SG-1.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:26 »
And Stargate SG-1.

Yup she played the hottie demi god.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2010, 08:46 »

Is it bad that I hate myself for knowing what firefly is? haha We watched the whole season like 30 times on deployment.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:04 »
Is it bad that I hate myself for knowing what firefly is? haha We watched the whole season like 30 times on deployment.

What ?!? No reruns of Porky's 2, John Wayne movies or Red Dawn? THAT'S what is wrong with your generation!!!   :old:

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:23 »
What ?!? No reruns of Porky's 2, John Wayne movies or Red Dawn? THAT'S what is wrong with your generation!!!   :old:

Some of my boats classics included Army of Darkness and, believe it or not, Dirty Dancing
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

tselby

« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:55 »
And our last deployment before i retired ,,,, we continually had "Band of Brother" on the TV in the CPO QTRS

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2010, 02:43 »
Some of my boats classics included Army of Darkness and, believe it or not, Dirty Dancing

Army of darkness was a favorite :D  We had a pile of DVD's that we watched over and over.  Not sure what I think about 250 dudes underwater for months at time watching Dirty Dancing.... :D  Whatever floats your boat I guess... Wait that doesnt work either :(

Did you guys have "wrestling matches"? haha

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:01 »
Army of darkness was a favorite :D  We had a pile of DVD's that we watched over and over.  Not sure what I think about 250 dudes underwater for months at time watching Dirty Dancing.... :D  Whatever floats your boat I guess... Wait that doesnt work either :(

Did you guys have "wrestling matches"? haha

"This is my BOOM-STICK"

Great line.  We also managed to watch Matt Stone and Trey Parker's "Orgasmo" on several occasions.  Great movie if you don't mind really cheesy plots, but then again if you know who Matt Stone and Trey Parker are, you probably don't mind at all.

MacGyver

« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:05 »
"This is my BOOM-STICK"

Great line.  We also managed to watch Matt Stone and Trey Parker's "Orgasmo" on several occasions.  Great movie if you don't mind really cheesy plots, but then again if you know who Matt Stone and Trey Parker are, you probably don't mind at all.

Fixed it for ya':

:39 - :45; "This is my boomstick!"

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011, 07:36 by MacGyver »

Fermi2

« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:16 »
Jennifer Grey was on Dancing With The Stars this year and WOW she's HOT!

dtucker89

« Reply #30 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:57 »
This is one of the best topics that I have read. By the way, I was in nuke school about 4 years ago. One guy couldn't wait to get to the gym, another was showing off his laser keyboard, and a group of others were speaking of video games (the ones with all the social implications of legitimate nerdiness). This shows my view of the Navy nuclear community about 4 years ago.

-Daniel

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:34 »
Sorry to dampen your spirits here, but most Navy nukes are nerds from the time you first meet them to the time you see them again in 20 years down the road.

co60slr

« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:31 »
Here's the top dog Nerdy Nuke of 2010...he doesn't watch things happen, he makes them happen.  Yes folks...Tube Daze.   

First, he has the latest Navy uniform prototype: the Protective Outerspace Omni-Purpose Integrated Exposure suit.   

Navy Recruiting commercial production?

Amazing what you can do with a laptop in 2010.   In the 80s, all we had to be nerdy were a Sony Walkman cassette player, Apple II "Wizardry", and a paper log to doodle our "Navy ideas" in while underway.   

I guess the theme is universal.   It's a tough job...you need something to "decompress" with at the end of the Navy Day.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #33 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:53 »
I guess the theme is universal.   It's a tough job...you need something to "decompress" with at the end of the Navy Day.

JUst trying to picture you typing "mahalito" in while squinting at an 80 column monitor back then....lol

The recruiting ad that most of the nerdy nukes of the 80s had seen was:

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2010, 07:04 by HydroDave63 »

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:38 »
JUst trying to picture you typing "mahalito" in while squinting at an 80 column monitor back then....lol

The recruiting ad that most of the nerdy nukes of the 80s had seen was:

I remember this one. It was on SNL in the late 70's. I still enlisted anyway. The ad that really got me was a poster of a sub cruising off into the sunset and the caption read, " Your old paper boy has a new route". I later found out that paper boy had to take a cut in pay.

co60slr

« Reply #35 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:03 »
LOL...

Yeah...and making the paper maps.   Ug.  What the heck were we thinking.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #36 on: Dec 15, 2010, 01:15 »
LOL...

Yeah...and making the paper maps.   Ug.  What the heck were we thinking.

Some of us were so po', we had to play Reach For The Stars and Nukewar in monochrome, or settle for watching others play North Atlantic Convoy Raider is luscious 8-bit color!  :old:

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #37 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:01 »
Here's the top dog Nerdy Nuke of 2010...he doesn't watch things happen, he makes them happen.  Yes folks...Tube Daze.    

First, he has the latest Navy uniform prototype: the Protective Outerspace Omni-Purpose Integrated Exposure suit.  

Navy Recruiting commercial production?

Amazing what you can do with a laptop in 2010.   In the 80s, all we had to be nerdy were a Sony Walkman cassette player, Apple II "Wizardry", and a paper log to doodle our "Navy ideas" in while underway.  

I guess the theme is universal.   It's a tough job...you need something to "decompress" with at the end of the Navy Day.

haha classic. I think season 1 ep 2 should be mandatory for all nuke-hopefuls to watch.  :D

edit : DAMN YOU! I started watching... I cant stop :( lol. This show is a lot more funny after you are done isnt it haha.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2010, 03:04 by Charlie Murphy »

co60slr

« Reply #38 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:07 »
Sooooooooo,...

which one is you?!?!?!
I'll be Dorkman. 

Wow...people make YouTube videos on anything.  Here we go...flashback to 1981.   If you had 64KB of memory, you were a rich family on the block.  Watch Sir-Tech's Wizardry boot from 5.25" floppy....

co60slr

« Reply #39 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:10 »
edit : DAMN YOU! I started watching... I cant stop :( lol. This show is a lot more funny after you are done isnt it haha.
My favorite "Hey, Shipwreck" is the episode where the Nuke wanders topside with his TLD (looks like a scuba tank) strapped to his back.   Although, it's a close race with the episode on the unauthorized deenergizing of the Division Officer and the "Navy's Swearing Cessation program". 

Brilliant.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #40 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:28 »
My favorite "Hey, Shipwreck" is the episode where the Nuke wanders topside with his TLD (looks like a scuba tank) strapped to his back.   Although, it's a close race with the episode on the unauthorized deenergizing of the Division Officer and the "Navy's Swearing Cessation program". 

Brilliant.

the diggit vs disgruntled sailor is pretty hilarious. They are all pretty good imo haha.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #41 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:06 »
I'll be Dorkman. 

Wow...people make YouTube videos on anything.  Here we go...flashback to 1981.   If you had 64KB of memory, you were a rich family on the block.  Watch Sir-Tech's Wizardry boot from 5.25" floppy....

The highest rated comment for dorkman is the best....

"the virginity is strong in you..."

;D ;D

Offline stephpatton

• Light User
« Reply #42 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:13 »
I'm on hold right now working at manpower, I see you all from recruit graduation to power school graduation.  I can tell how long you have been coming to the Rickover by how scared you are of khaki shirts and collar devices.  Mostly nerdy kids, no offense, we are all somewhat nerdy.  Guy to girl ratio of about 33 to 1.  (hint, guys::consider dating out of the nuke pool...)
But you meet alot of different people with alot of different interests in the same age range.  Always something to do and some people willing to go do it on your "off" time. 
If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back, set them on fire. -George Carlin

mizzyung

« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2011, 12:56 »
Haha...you will definitely have a once in a life time experience at some point in time there, but as far as everyone being a NERD, it's a mixed blend. I've seen some who are dumb as ricks and some who are beyond smart, some who are ghetto, some loud, some cute, some ugly...although i am laughing at the date out in town "hint"...You're lucky you are a guy because it's not easy being a girl at NNPTC. you think because everyone is of age that you are dealing with adults, but it's a lot like high school and you have your cliques of different people/types and you will find a wide variety of personalities.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:29 »
I'm on hold right now working at manpower, I see you all from recruit graduation to power school graduation.  I can tell how long you have been coming to the Rickover by how scared you are of khaki shirts and collar devices.  Mostly nerdy kids, no offense, we are all somewhat nerdy.  Guy to girl ratio of about 33 to 1.  (hint, guys::consider dating out of the nuke pool...)
But you meet alot of different people with alot of different interests in the same age range.  Always something to do and some people willing to go do it on your "off" time. 

are you the same person that laminates badges for a living?
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline NuclearWaste

• Light User
« Reply #45 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:43 »
I have always figured myself to be nerdy....I've played alot of nerdy games (not really card games)...However my strive for school and obtaining knowledge is increasingly growing.  Right now I'm waiting to be shipped out in May to bootcamp, but it kills me that I'm not taking any classes.  I've learned almost everything in the DEP book that they've gave us, along with consistantly studying SAT Math questions so that I can score well for better chances at achieving the STA-21 program.

It all depends on one's perspective of stereotypes....I consider anyone that is logical enough to consider that Math is a theory instead of a subject would be classified as a nerd.  However, I absolutely do not ridicule people for it, but instead congradulate them.  It takes a strong mind to be a "nerd" and of which can be found in every profession.  Don't let your outside hobbies or games interfere with your goals....Everyone needs a bit of entertainment....And it's that person who chooses what to do in it.  For example....I like to study, and play my instrument on my free time and I'm 19.  However, most people see it that I should be at a party or getting wasted, of which I don't enjoy.

Thanks.

tristalynn08

« Reply #46 on: Feb 21, 2011, 12:31 »
You're lucky you are a guy because it's not easy being a girl at NNPTC.

can you elaborate on this... ?

I'm a future female Nuke. I ship out May 3rd. & I would definitely say I'm a nerd... at heart. I like math, I love to read and I'm drawn to anything intellectually stimulating.  However, *not tooting my own horn in anyway* I have definitely been described as “good looking & out going.” I love to party and have a good time. This is something I’ve been worried about since signing up to be a Nuke… the ratio of 33:1 guys to girls. All of the responses on this website have been extremely helpful, but almost all of them are also from a male point of view. Can you guys describe what the girls are like down there? And as a female is it a lot harder and do you think we get discriminated against? The last thing I want is for all the guys (fellow classmates & instructors) to think I’m just a “dumb girly girly” and not a student working hard to make it through the pipeline.

Offline NuclearWaste

• Light User
« Reply #47 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:06 »

I'm a future female Nuke. I ship out May 3rd. & I would definitely say I'm a nerd... at heart. I like math, I love to read and I'm drawn to anything intellectually stimulating.  However, *not tooting my own horn in anyway* I have definitely been described as “good looking & out going.” I love to party and have a good time. This is something I’ve been worried about since signing up to be a Nuke… the ratio of 33:1 guys to girls. All of the responses on this website have been extremely helpful, but almost all of them are also from a male point of view. Can you guys describe what the girls are like down there? And as a female is it a lot harder and do you think we get discriminated against? The last thing I want is for all the guys (fellow classmates & instructors) to think I’m just a “dumb girly girly” and not a student working hard to make it through the pipeline.

Well I can't tell you what it's going to be like, but I can give you some help.  First, congradulations on becoming a nuke! I ship out May 4th lol so cool beans.  Second, with a ratio of 33:1 guys to girls, it's ridiculous to think that there isn't going to be discrimination.  Women will always be descriminated against, and so will every other popular media stereotypes out there.  The only advice that I can offer you is to keep head strong, and don't let anyone give you shit about being a female Navy Nuke.  The way to counter that "dumb girly girly" is being top of your class, and acing every exam/inspection that's out there.  Last but not least, men will always degrade your true potiential, but you must change their perspective.  What I mean is, become top of your class, work your hardest, and don't be let down by any comments that anyone makes.  Just make those insults, or whatever you might call them, motivation and momentum to keep moving forward.

Best of luck.

-Thanks.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #48 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:22 »
Second, with a ratio of 33:1 guys to girls, it's ridiculous to think that there isn't going to be discrimination.  Women will always be descriminated against, and so will every other popular media stereotypes out there. 

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

There is no discrimination against women. You are judged on the basis of your performance and your professional bearing.  Male or female, if you work hard, you will be treated appropriately. 

I suggest that you lose your jaded outlook prior to shipping.  There is no room for sailors that discriminate or tolerate discrimination in my navy!  It is not okay, ever.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #49 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:27 »

There is no discrimination against women. You are judged on the basis of your performance and your professional bearing.  Male or female, if you work hard, you will be treated appropriately. 

I suggest that you lose your jaded outlook prior to shipping.  There is no room for sailors that discriminate or tolerate discrimination in my navy!  It is not okay, ever.

Very well said.
Justin

Offline NuclearWaste

• Light User
« Reply #50 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:11 »

I'm not saying that I discriminate, nor tolerate it.  However, I'm not going to completely lie and say it's not ever going to be out there.  Of course it's not ok, I'm definately not saying that it is.  But it's better to expect it, rather than be completely oblivious to it, then again not to be paranoid about it.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #51 on: Feb 21, 2011, 10:02 »

Can I play devil's advocate and pick your brain on what you think about sexual bias? Both Drayer and I can attest to women often times getting overlooked by their male cohorts for whatever reasons... Id like to think out of site, out of mind, but you and I know thats not always the case.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #52 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:12 »
On Topic:

Most of the "nerdy" things you guys have posted are a little before my time, but I think I'll fit in with today's nukes anyway. ;)

By the way, I love the nostalgia threads. Very entertaining. :)

MacGyver

« Reply #53 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:26 »
Can I play devil's advocate and pick your brain on what you think about sexual bias? Both Drayer and I can attest to women often times getting overlooked by their male cohorts for whatever reasons... Id like to think out of site, out of mind, but you and I know thats not always the case.

I know why (and its on topic regarding "nerdy nukes")

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #54 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:57 »
Women sailors being overlooked, ignored, kept at a distance?!?!?!

Probably because somebody is coaching those same guys that women will cry rape just to stir things up,...

I'm just saying,.... [coffee]

Oh lordy, I cant figure you out.

You know good and well what my point was. Has zero anything to do with rape accusations. Being on deployment and stuff isnt the same thing as being in a locked room alone with another sailors wife.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #55 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:41 »

Oh lordy, I cant figure you out.

You know good and well what my point was. Has zero anything to do with rape accusations. Being on deployment and stuff isnt the same thing as being in a locked room alone with another sailors wife.

Challenge accepted.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

LaFeet

« Reply #56 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:52 »
 nerds huh... I recall the original TI-30 coming out while in Nuke School...... man that was the stuff.  Noise in the classroom dropped from the continuous swish swish of the slide rule and a new tone off click, click, click, SH#* !!! took over.

I remember building a PET computer from broken parts.... man was that something.... and the games I could play (2 I recall) !!!

But all in all I was more into the party scene in Orlando,  focusing on "Spit" on Wednesday night and Rocky Horror Picture Show in Friday & Satuday noght.

mizzyung

« Reply #57 on: Mar 09, 2011, 12:45 »

Sorry I'm so late...from my experience with the command, there was no discrimination at all. They like to see a girl not intimidated or rattled by the circumstances. I was actually in charge of my A-school class where I was the only female, and offered the power school section leader position. It's all about how well you work and how well you work with others. The not being easy part i was referring to, was the distractions. Naturally with being so many guys and "not enough" girls, it's like being among a hungry pack of wild animals no matter how you look...not to mention if you are a party girl, you will be tempted. There are a lot of party places in the area and a lot of trouble you can get into. Charleston is a bit of a party town with all of the colleges in and around it. The best advice I can give, is stay away from the party side as much as you can while training. It's okay to take time off every once in a while, but there is ALWAYS something going on and ALWAYS someone watching. it's a military area so eyes are everywhere.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #58 on: Mar 09, 2011, 01:10 »
Sorry I'm so late...from my experience with the command, there was no discrimination at all. They like to see a girl not intimidated or rattled by the circumstances. I was actually in charge of my A-school class where I was the only female, and offered the power school section leader position. It's all about how well you work and how well you work with others. The not being easy part i was referring to, was the distractions. Naturally with being so many guys and "not enough" girls, it's like being among a hungry pack of wild animals no matter how you look...not to mention if you are a party girl, you will be tempted. There are a lot of party places in the area and a lot of trouble you can get into. Charleston is a bit of a party town with all of the colleges in and around it. The best advice I can give, is stay away from the party side as much as you can while training. It's okay to take time off every once in a while, but there is ALWAYS something going on and ALWAYS someone watching. it's a military area so eyes are everywhere.

partially true, but the fact is, the military does not have eyes on you all the time. Its that "I" word thing they talk about that you have to use... Your actions out in town are rarely seen, but you need to be acting within the bounds of the rules given to you. Its your job to do that.

Discrimination works both ways, not just in your "negative" standpoint. Reverse discrimination is a problem in the navy, as is "normal" discrimination. "Oh shes just a girl, go get a guy to carry this paint bucket". And I've seen things worse then that... 

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #59 on: Mar 09, 2011, 08:32 »
partially true, but the fact is, the military does not have eyes on you all the time. Its that "I" word thing they talk about that you have to use... Your actions out in town are rarely seen, but you need to be acting within the bounds of the rules given to you. Its your job to do that.

Discrimination works both ways, not just in your "negative" standpoint. Reverse discrimination is a problem in the navy, as is "normal" discrimination. "Oh shes just a girl, go get a guy to carry this paint bucket". And I've seen things worse then that... 

You might think that the eyes of the Navy are not on you, but there was an incident when I was in school that lead to well over 50 mast cases and ended up getting short stay put "off limits" for NNPTC students.  It all started when two young ladies were seen drinking downtown by some of their instructors and knew they were both underage.  Long story short, they asked them about the weekend, the two ladies spilled the beans about several parties they had been to with lists of names where there was underage drinking.  It took 4 weeks to get all the masts cases processed and they dropped about half of the student from the program and the other half barely got to stay.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #60 on: Mar 09, 2011, 11:18 »
You might think that the eyes of the Navy are not on you, but there was an incident when I was in school that lead to well over 50 mast cases and ended up getting short stay put "off limits" for NNPTC students.  It all started when two young ladies were seen drinking downtown by some of their instructors and knew they were both underage.  Long story short, they asked them about the weekend, the two ladies spilled the beans about several parties they had been to with lists of names where there was underage drinking.  It took 4 weeks to get all the masts cases processed and they dropped about half of the student from the program and the other half barely got to stay.

Incidences occur. Thats always going to be the case. Now, for that one event, how many do you think occured that DIDNT get caught.... 

That said, they dont even get kicked out for cheating anymore -.-, much less drinking under age.

shocker

« Reply #61 on: Mar 09, 2011, 11:48 »
There are quite a few people who would dispute that.  There were about ~20 in a single bust recently - not all of them get to stay after restriction.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #62 on: Mar 10, 2011, 12:18 »
There are quite a few people who would dispute that.  There were about ~20 in a single bust recently - not all of them get to stay after restriction.

They wouldnt let some stay and let others go without more to the story... The purchasers of the alcohol may be more liable or something, or if they were e-4's instead of e-3's. whatever.

Again, isolated incidents. Stop bringing these up. You will learn good and well, that on the 2-7 you are NOT being watched by anyone. You can do whatever the hell you want in that plant, and its up to you to operate it properly. You guys really need to stop dilluting the point with this crap. You're not a nuke yet, and the training pipeline is more then an academic test, and not everyone fails because of their grades. When you are standing SRW on the midwatch on a weekend duty day, then you can have an accurate say of how much you are "being  watched"

/bitterness.

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2011, 12:21 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #63 on: Mar 10, 2011, 12:41 »
They wouldnt let some stay and let others go without more to the story... The purchasers of the alcohol may be more liable or something, or if they were e-4's instead of e-3's. whatever.

Again, isolated incidents. Stop bringing these up. You will learn good and well, that on the 2-7 you are NOT being watched by anyone. You can do whatever the hell you want in that plant, and its up to you to operate it properly. You guys really need to stop dilluting the point with this crap. You're not a nuke yet, and the training pipeline is more then an academic test, and not everyone fails because of their grades. When you are standing SRW on the midwatch on a weekend duty day, then you can have an accurate say of how much you are "being  watched"

/bitterness.

That's enough of that. Let's get back to talking about D&D.

MacGyver

« Reply #64 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:42 »

Nice ... spunky, confident, direct, non-confrontational, very well thought out.   +K

For me, I would have just used a pic to get things back in-line:

:P ;) ;D :P

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #65 on: Mar 10, 2011, 09:11 »

you got skillz. Chicks dig skillz

MacGyver

« Reply #66 on: Mar 10, 2011, 09:26 »
you got skillz. Chicks dig skillz

You do know she is a "chick" {sic} (i.e. young lady), right?!?!?

CM, drop and give me 25!  ;) :o

mizzyung

« Reply #67 on: Mar 10, 2011, 10:07 »
Wow...the "eyes are everywhere" I was referring to was simply for the goose creek/charleston area. You almost can't go anywhere without someone from the command being there. Some instructors even serve as bouncers at some of the clubs downtown. If you are getting out of control or acting a fool, you draw lots of attention and someone will have no problem approaching you to ask who your SLPO or Chief is. you are a Navy representative in and out of uniform so be aware of your public actions because more times than not, SOMEONE is going to know about it whether or not it gets back to the higher ups in the command or not is what isn't guaranteed, but better safe than sorry.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #68 on: Mar 10, 2011, 11:45 »

CM, drop and give me 25!  ;) :o

shoot, since its a " chick" I will drop and give you 50! ;)

wait...

:D

Yes mizzyoung, that statement is accurate.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #69 on: Mar 10, 2011, 02:59 »

CM, drop and give me 25!  ;) :o

Darnit, MacGyver. Was tryig to see how long it would take him to notice. We were at a little over 8 months so far.

Oh well. I've been outed.

Oh, and in the spirit of the thread:
CoD, WoW, D&D, and... er... fantasy books. I like magic and horsies, not spaceships and aliens.

Oh, and I enjoy flipping through a magazine. There's something about it that's oddly therapeutic.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2011, 03:02 by Styrofoam »

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #70 on: Mar 11, 2011, 01:18 »
Everyone has their own inner nerd in them. Some just don't bring it out as often as others.  :P

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #71 on: Mar 11, 2011, 12:54 »
Oh, and in the spirit of the thread:
CoD, WoW, D&D, and... er... fantasy books. I like magic and horsies, not spaceships and aliens.

Offline MM1 subnuke

• Light User
« Reply #72 on: Mar 13, 2011, 01:00 »
Some of my friends chased women and drank beer in nuke school.  Others stuck to Everquest.  Just like everywhere else in the world, lots of kinds of people doing lots of kinds of stuff.  Most everyone was normal.  Except for the vampire people.  Anyone in Charleston around 99-00?  You have to remember them.

I was there in 99 and '00.  I was a MM.  I don't remember my A school class number, but I was in A school form March until July, and then in power school from August until January.  I do remember the Vampire people, they wore their raincoats all the time.  My classmates and I used to play football every Friday night for like 3 hours.  I miss those times.

rcarlson21

« Reply #73 on: Apr 19, 2011, 03:22 »
My classmates and I used to play football every Friday night for like 3 hours.  I miss those times.

YES!!!! I finally get some reassurance that there will be "people" during my time spent in A, B, and C school! Well maybe just A and B. During C I'll be on my own from what I understand. I was starting to think that all NUKES would be doing nothing but playing WoW and watching Star Trek in their spare time :(. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't enjoy playing WoW, CoD, D&D, or having the occasional "nerdy" conversation from time to time, but I have got to be able to get out and about with people. What happens if you get hurt during your 1.5-2 years in school? Are you allowed to play contact sports, like not just throw the football but actually participate in a "wrap up" game. Also, seeing as the school is set up in a "college like" setting are there clubs or anything. I know we're supposed to spend just about every waking moment studying but for the weekends and such maybe they could have a game of soccer or football.

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #74 on: Apr 19, 2011, 04:16 »
YES!!!! I finally get some reassurance that there will be "people" during my time spent in A, B, and C school! Well maybe just A and B. During C I'll be on my own from what I understand. I was starting to think that all NUKES would be doing nothing but playing WoW and watching Star Trek in their spare time :(. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't enjoy playing WoW, CoD, D&D, or having the occasional "nerdy" conversation from time to time, but I have got to be able to get out and about with people. What happens if you get hurt during your 1.5-2 years in school? Are you allowed to play contact sports, like not just throw the football but actually participate in a "wrap up" game. Also, seeing as the school is set up in a "college like" setting are there clubs or anything. I know we're supposed to spend just about every waking moment studying but for the weekends and such maybe they could have a game of soccer or football.

The danger with contact sports if you break yourself playing them, they can haul you in front of the old man for breaking yourself.  We had a guy get busted for 92 and 134 when he broke his leg playing football.  I think full-contact sports are technically forbidden, but touch and flag football is allowed.  At least when I was there, there were weekend sports; mandatory fun and all that - the class sections were required to spend at least 4 hr/month or something 'having fun.'  Which was mandatory fun and generally involved sports or hanging out at the game center.

Admittedly, there is a broad spectrum of choices for things to do down there; when I was at NNPTC, I played paintball, dabbled in D&D, spent a decent chunk of time in the gym, played a decent number of computer games, and yeah, there was always hanging out and shooting the shit.  You can always go out to housing with a married friend and work on your car there or something.  And it's South Carolina.  Always an opportunity to head to the beach and enjoy the weather and the sights.  Just don't be stupid and store your paintball guns/firearms in your barracks room; get a rental unit or find someone who lives in housing and is willing to keep them for you.

P.S.  It's NFAS - Nuclear Field 'A' School and then NPS - Nuclear Power School.  There's no 'B' school in there.  A-school is where you go to pick up your rate; i.e. MM, ET, EM.  NPS is where you go to learn to be a nuke, then you follow up with NPTU - Nuclear Power Training Unit - and then possibly another C school - Welder or ELT - if you're a mechanic.  After that, it's time for the fleet.

MCWunjo

« Reply #75 on: Apr 19, 2011, 05:54 »
Did Myrtle Beach die out? I know they tore down that one crappy hotel on the beach.

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #76 on: Apr 19, 2011, 06:14 »
Did Myrtle Beach die out? I know they tore down that one crappy hotel on the beach.

As of 2004, it was still pretty popular; when I was in NPS, I went up there at least once a month.  Someone a bit more recent than I will have to comment on it's current viability.

rcarlson21

« Reply #77 on: Apr 19, 2011, 06:21 »

Myrtle beach die out...I don't believe it has, I still see people wearing shirts from there.

Man I'm starting to get really pumped up for all this. I'm even looking forward to RTC, though IDK all about that peanut butter shot they talk about. My mother told me not to let them give it to me, she's HIGHLY allergic to penicillin and so are my grandparents. Though she did tell me that getting a shot in the butt isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Been through a few operations herself so you know...I trust her. Although I am a little perturbed that we aren't allowed to have "something to drink" in our BEQs (I believe that's what they're called from reading all these posts :P). I understand that it is against the law (I believe state law controls the drinking age of persons) for a person under the age of 21 to drink, however I AM NOT under the age of 21 and feel that I should be allowed to possess "legal" substances within my room whether there persons under 21 present or not. That being said I also agree with accepting responsibilities for ones actions, so if I'm 21 and my roommate is 18 and he is caught drinking while in my presence then I will have to accept what is due. If he steals my drink (i.e. he drinks from my stores while I am NOT present/without my permission) then he alone should be held accountable. See whether everyone is "of age" to drink within the BEQs or not, EVERYONE is still 18 years or older (legal adults) so they must be held responsible for their actions accordingly. I believe the PERFECT solution to this issue would be for the States to drop their respective drinking ages back to 18 (age of maturity).

Well now I've made myself look like an alcoholic :P.

rcarlson21

« Reply #78 on: Apr 19, 2011, 08:48 »
You haven't taken the oath yet, if it bothers you that much, don't go 8)....

So that contract that I signed doesn't mean anything then? Pretty sure I took an oath before I left MEPs but maybe that wasn't the ACTUAL oath. I'm not sure because, like said, I haven't been through RTC yet.

Although I don't agree with it "not being a big deal", I can still see you're side of the story and I understand your points. I guess you aren't much of a drinker and so it doesn't really matter to you either way. I'm not much of a drinker either, it's not about being able to get my alcohol intake for the day just for the record. It's more about the freedom of being able to possess it. Again, I can understand how you can see it as not a big deal though.

P.S.
     I think the whole rant about marriage was taking it just a little to far man. You don't have to insult me in two ways, first being that you said because I haven't BEEN there yet that I don't have the right to state my opinion on/NOT LIKE/discuss what rules I'm going to HAVE to abide by. Second, that entire spiel about marriage was nothing more then an attempt to degrade my opinion on the subject even further though in a "round the bush" type of way.

Also, I mean absolutely NO disrespect to anyone on here or to anyone that has or will reply to my post :).
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2011, 08:49 by rcarlson21 »

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #79 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:09 »
drayer has, alas, a point about the rubber-stamp nuke marriages.  It's relatively amusing to see how many broken marriages come out of NNPTC, every class has at least one.

And the alcohol thing is...  Well, frankly, I thought it was stupid when I went through, but them's the rules.  If you want to stick around in the nuclear world, you're going to have to get used to doing things a certain way, according to certain rules, without being able to do a thing about it.  I don't know the rationale behind it, to be honest, but I'm sure it's meant to be a leveling effect; barracks outside of NNPTC allow alcohol.  At least the ones at Subase Bangor do, as long as it's controlled in a responsible manner.

I'm sure you'll love things like 'no food in the engineroom' or 'no smoking at all (well, okay, you can smoke now, but they're phasing it out)' or any of the hundred-odd small rules that you just kinda get smacked with and have to follow.  That's the nature of our business.  No hands in your pockets.  That's another one I'm fond of.  Gotta present that military bearing, after all, nevermind the fact that you've frostbite on your fingers.

Offline JoshD1982

• Very Lite User
« Reply #80 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:17 »
Freedom? You'll get that when you are senior in rate and have your fish. Until then get qualified NUB!

rcarlson21

« Reply #81 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:35 »
drayer has, alas, a point about the rubber-stamp nuke marriages.  It's relatively amusing to see how many broken marriages come out of NNPTC, every class has at least one.

And the alcohol thing is...  Well, frankly, I thought it was stupid when I went through, but them's the rules.  If you want to stick around in the nuclear world, you're going to have to get used to doing things a certain way, according to certain rules, without being able to do a thing about it.  I don't know the rationale behind it, to be honest, but I'm sure it's meant to be a leveling effect; barracks outside of NNPTC allow alcohol.  At least the ones at Subase Bangor do, as long as it's controlled in a responsible manner.

I'm sure you'll love things like 'no food in the engineroom' or 'no smoking at all (well, okay, you can smoke now, but they're phasing it out)' or any of the hundred-odd small rules that you just kinda get smacked with and have to follow.  That's the nature of our business.  No hands in your pockets.  That's another one I'm fond of.  Gotta present that military bearing, after all, nevermind the fact that you've frostbite on your fingers.

Yeah, well I don't plan on getting married to someone for quite a while. The fact that I'm going to be stuck in Nuke schools for close to 2 years means I wont get married while I'm in there. Though I do hope to find myself a nice southern girl :P. I do like me some mashed taters and cornbread :D!. I think the whole idea of getting married after a year and never living with one another is completely absurd!!!! However, I do understand the kinda person I am and how difficult I am to live with so maybe that's why :P.

Well I guess that mentality is sort of universal for the most part ("It's not for me to question why, just for me to do or die"); once you turn 21 and can legally drink, you don't seem to care about people that are under 21 not being "allowed" to drink anymore. I do though...some people may call me a NUB (pretty sure it's spelled noob btw) for thinking that way. Frankly, I don't care :P!

BTW, thanks for all of the RELATIVE feedback guys :). Even though things can get a little "heated" I still appreciate you guys taking the time to reply with more than a "one liner".

Offline GNowakowski

• Light User
  • Northwestern MT
« Reply #82 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:54 »
Take NUB with a smile - noob isn't as respectful.

Ask google; it never lies.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=definition+nub

nub/nəb/Noun
1. The crux or central point of a matter.
2. A small lump or protuberance.  More »
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

I meen - it makes you the CENTER of matters...  
$ yum grouplist FLAMEWAR
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2011, 10:00 by GNowakowski »

rcarlson21

« Reply #83 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:58 »

$ yum grouplist FLAMEWAR

HEY! I dig that man :). So I'll take it as more of a compliment than a "dis".

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #84 on: Apr 19, 2011, 10:04 »
You were - jokingly - being called a NUB because you are one.  A Nearly Useless Body, fit only for taking up space, eating up stores, filling up sanitary tanks, sucking up oxygen, and generally useless for anything but being told to 'get your ass in the bilge and clean.'  Now, once you qualify stuff, you start becoming less of a NUB, but you're still something of a NUB until you qualify senior-in-rate (to get the nukes off your back) and (if you're on a submarine) earn your fish (to get the coners off your back).  

And yes, you'll be a NUB to anyone who's been there/done that; you are a liability until such time as you prove yourself not one.  You count for manning, but you can't stand a watch.  You take up a rack, but you can't do maintenance.  Basically, you're useless.  So clean.  But hey, I'm sure that with your attitude towards things, you'll have an awesome time in the fleet.  I suggest you go surface, myself.  Subs will eat you alive.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #85 on: Apr 19, 2011, 10:31 »

And keep in mind that once you've done your time, if you decide to stay nuke you will become a NUB again until you can show your stuff!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #86 on: Apr 20, 2011, 08:08 »
And keep in mind that once you've done your time, if you decide to stay nuke you will become a NUB again until you can show your stuff!

As far as I can tell, that's just the normal status of life for most people: Being the eternal NUB.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #87 on: Apr 23, 2011, 01:25 »
Freedom? You'll get that when you are senior in rate and have your fish. Until then get qualified NUB!

Freedom? You'll have that when you get out of the navy boss. Not sure what planet you live on ;)

Remember, more quals = more responsibility. That's how it SHOULD work anyway.... -.-

JustplainLo -> why the hell do sub guys think life on a carrier is rainbows and sunshine and unicorns?..... I can vouch with DISTINCT CLARITY life on a carrier aint no picnic...

Dont.

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #88 on: Apr 23, 2011, 01:30 »
JustplainLo -> why the hell do sub guys think life on a carrier is rainbows and sunshine and unicorns?..... I can vouch with DISTINCT CLARITY life on a carrier aint no picnic...

Well, the there's two possible answers to that question.

One is that most of us sub guys don't have any idea what life on a carrier is like, aside from cross-exchanged sea stories.  So we just figure that it's gotta be full of rainbows and unicorns, because 'it can't be any worse than it is here.'  The sunshine is a given; you guys got to at least see the sun!  :P

The other answer goes back to the whole community pride argument; "We're better because we're submariners," etc.  Personally, I always figured that both had to be about the same, but people will say and do the strangest things for the sake of belonging.  Us vs. them, etc.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #89 on: Apr 23, 2011, 01:34 »
The sunshine is a given; you guys got to at least see the sun!  :P

Lol, nope. Theres a reason all the nukes are pasty and pale when they come home from deployments ;) Except for one pretty boy EM me and drayer served with lol... somehow he came home with a golden bronze tan, every time...

The other answer goes back to the whole community pride argument; "We're better because we're submariners," etc.  Personally, I always figured that both had to be about the same, but people will say and do the strangest things for the sake of belonging.  Us vs. them, etc.

Submariner elitism is a bit tiring TBH, but I do understand somewhat of your point. I will not say, across the board anyway, that carrier folks have an easier time, when in reality its probably more work for you sub guys, but at the same time, targets have their own unique problems. When's the last time your cold work chit got declined because some airdale moron couldnt read causing your entire work day to go down the drain?  Separate but equal in my opinion :)

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #90 on: Apr 23, 2011, 01:42 »
Lol, nope. Theres a reason all the nukes are pasty and pale when they come home from deployments ;) Except for one pretty boy EM me and drayer served with lol... somehow he came home with a golden bronze tan, every time...
Fine, fine...  You had the opportunity to see the sun, at least.  Can we settle for that?

...speaking of electricians, though.  Is it something to do with the EM rate that drives them to crave a tan?  We had one that would slather the fake-tanning stuff on himself right before the end of underway.  So he'd be a slightly orange shade as we pulled into Bangor...in the middle of winter...in the pouring rain...when nobody had seen the sun in months regardless.

Submariner elitism is a bit tiring TBH, but I do understand somewhat of your point. I will not say, across the board anyway, that carrier folks have an easier time, when in reality its probably more work for you sub guys, but at the same time, targets have their own unique problems. When's the last time your cold work chit got declined because some airdale moron couldnt read causing your entire work day to go down the drain?  Separate but equal in my opinion :)
I think, ultimately, the community elitism thing is something meant to instill pride.  It was pretty heavily emphasized, with the "threat" of being sent to the surface fleet if you couldn't hack it during quals used as a nasty beating stick.  Another aspect is that it's an all-volunteer force, so to be aboard a submarine, you had to want it, on top of already wanting to be a nuke, on top of already wanting to be in the Navy.

I mean, even within a specific community, you have internal pride.  Nuke vs. Coner (or Airdale), ELT vs. MM, ETs vs. everyone else, etc, etc.  

Now that you mention it, though...  I don't really remember much in the way of 'surface elitism,' I guess you'd call it, along the lines of what submariners do.  
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2011, 01:49 by JustPlainLo »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #91 on: Apr 23, 2011, 02:01 »
I meant for nukes doofus lol

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #92 on: Apr 23, 2011, 02:21 »
Ohh we might of showed up for one or two.....

You dont count.  And you know why you dont count ;)

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #93 on: Apr 23, 2011, 02:22 »
And to think the most fun we had was stuff like this:

That being, coincidentally, the biggest 'open space' in the entire damned boat.  :P
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2011, 02:23 by JustPlainLo »

MacGyver

« Reply #94 on: Apr 23, 2011, 12:27 »
And to think the most fun we had was stuff like this:

That being, coincidentally, the biggest 'open space' in the entire damned boat.  :P

Fixed it for you.  You're welcome.   ;)

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #95 on: Apr 23, 2011, 03:14 »
Okay, I'll admit the seating arrangements were pretty decent.  :P

Fixed it for you.  You're welcome.   ;)
Note to self, RTFM and find out about the video embedding capability.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #96 on: Apr 24, 2011, 03:50 »
I was thinking something similar to that about those galley conditions. We didn't even have chairs on the carrier. We had middle school cafeteria seats where every 3rd seat was missing or wobbly. Those living accomodations look pretty decent. The only submarine that I waked was a SSN and it wasn't as nice as this. It also had scaffolding everywhere to be fair.

You never got to go into the chiefs mess did you? lol. With our weekly meetings held in there, I would be geeked every time I walked in there.

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #97 on: Apr 28, 2011, 04:18 »
That's a T-hull mess decks. ISTR that 688 mess decks had chairs too. I wasn't on one of those, just went down onto tended units.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #98 on: Apr 28, 2011, 06:10 »
That's a T-hull mess decks. ISTR that 688 mess decks had chairs too. I wasn't on one of those, just went down onto tended units.

They did, but it was like, half the width.  You could shove a 688 into a 726, with room to spare.

MMCSSNRRPT

« Reply #99 on: Apr 30, 2011, 03:11 »
24 years later and nothing has changed.  Two SSBNs, One SSN and One Tender (all razor blades by now except the Michigan).  Bubble Heads versus Surface Pukes.  I recall being PO'd when I learned that Skimlant Nukes earned more Pro Pay than I did to make up for the Sub Pay...  drifty nuc's galore.  Either way you look at it, a Sh*t Sandwhich and we all had (and still do) have to take our bite.  Civlant vets though still stick together - Once a bubblehead - always a bubblehead and we still F**K with the Skimmer Vets.

MMC/ss ELT, EWS, yada yada yada

NPS 7706 Orlando

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2011, 01:28 »
24 years later and nothing has changed.  Two SSBNs, One SSN and One Tender (all razor blades by now except the Michigan).  Bubble Heads versus Surface Pukes.  I recall being PO'd when I learned that Skimlant Nukes earned more Pro Pay than I did to make up for the Sub Pay...  drifty nuc's galore.  Either way you look at it, a Sh*t Sandwhich and we all had (and still do) have to take our bite.  Civlant vets though still stick together - Once a bubblehead - always a bubblehead and we still F**K with the Skimmer Vets.

MMC/ss ELT, EWS, yada yada yada

NPS 7706 Orlando

You dont have to deal with it, but primary vs propulsion is also a good separating factor here at work ;) The terms "Shiny Piper" and "dirty piper" are thrown around still haha.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2011, 05:24 »
It was just some steps to success so he can enjoy some beer in his fridge.I even connected his issue to the original topic. I might add the words "great life advice" to help future searchers....

I went back and reread it afterwards and actually deleted my post because it was, albeit just slightly, more relevant than at first read.

You snagged the quote button before I could do it though. Hope there's no hard feelings.

But you have to admit, turning a discussion on not being able to drink in the barracks into one on all the reasons why you shouldn't get married was pretty consistent with your observation of his unrelated soap box rant. :D

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2011, 06:08 »

$ yum grouplist FLAMEWAR

Ok, I didn't know there was a difference, so I looked it up. But the definitions I read gave me the opposite viewpoint. Seems to me nub is just somebody who sucks at something and noob is somebody who's new at something.

MacGyver

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2011, 12:14 »
Ok, I didn't know there was a difference, so I looked it up. But the definitions I read gave me the opposite viewpoint. Seems to me nub is just somebody who sucks at something and noob is somebody who's new at something.

Let me clarify.

NUB - New Unqualified Body.  (You haven't even earned that right, yet, to be called a person (("ipso facto" you have NO personal rights as a NUB)).  You are an air breathing, food consuming, waste producing leech until you are qualified.  Once qualified, at something, you are now at least human.  When you are fully qualified you can now be re-labeled a "person" and thusly are a member of the ship's 'useful and qualified' personnel.  And, you guessed it, the only ones that count for any good are those that are not NUB's.)

Noob- Is a newbie or a derogatory term to someone who is not new.  YMWV on this one.

This is my personal take from my own experience's.

Now back to my nap (which you can only take if you are fully qualified).   ;)

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:16 by MacGyver »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2011, 12:41 »
Only "nubs" and "noobs" would even waste electrons debating the etymology and archaelogy of the terms. Notice how the rest of the esteemed board members aren't replying because they are covering production work or standing a watch. Which means y'all, by default, are a bunch of goofing off non-quals. So....GET BACK IN THAT BILGE AND PAINT !!  >:(
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:43 by HydroDave63 »

MacGyver

« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2011, 01:06 »
Only "nubs" and "noobs" would even waste electrons debating the etymology and archaelogy of the terms. Notice how the rest of the esteemed board members aren't replying because they are covering production work or standing a watch. Which means y'all, by default, are a bunch of goofing off non-quals. So....GET BACK IN THAT BILGE AND PAINT !!  >:(

Yeah!!!! Back to Work NUB's!!!!!

"Gonna have to face it you're addicted to NUB"

:P :P :P :P   [whistle] ROFL :stupidme: [quit]

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2011, 01:15 »
Hey, don't you have an in-core thermocouple to study or something? ;)

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2011, 02:56 »

And I offer my standard reply to that:  "Working on quals, chief/dude/whatever your nickname is."

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2011, 06:36 »
On my boat I was senior inrate, work center supervisor, QA qualed nub. Not in the civlant sense, I mean I didn't have enough time on the boat to be considered senior for a long time lol.

You weren't allowed to have feelings until qualed charing station, and you weren't a person until RAW qualed.

And I thought the term was" new underway buddy" :P

Ok. So when you get to your boat, youre a "noob nub" :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:45 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline Marc622

• Light User
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2011, 07:03 »
The females on base, well, I'm not entirely sure what they do with their spare time other than become serial daters collecting "nuke boyfriends" like dots on a pac-man game. 

LMFAO. I Lol'ed so hard just now. Sad part about the matter is that its so true. I feel bad for the guys who have to use this alternative to find a woman. Don't get me wrong, not all the woman are bad (looking/attitudes) but most are. Every now and then you manage to find a successful couple that makes it out of NNPTC still together. All in all though its a never ending cycle; Girl goes to smoke pad -> Fiend virgin males swarm -> Girl chooses one -> 3 weeks elapse -> Girl gets bored, returns to smoke pas and thus it begins again.

Offline Marc622

• Light User
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2011, 08:42 »
Ahh yes, that old tune.....
My favorite were the jump to marriage couples.... It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion, only it had BCG's and acne.

I found it hilarious back  in my A school class. We had a couple get married and my Chief called it perfectly and said " you guys will be divorced and out of the program by Power school."
Needless to say.... it happened.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2011, 01:16 »
Ahh yes, that old tune.....

It always bothered me when you would see the couples together everywhere. Club Mess Decks on the ship when you couldn't sit down to eat your saturday night food without ruining some air dale's dinner date. In NNPTC when they would flock together during breaks and make it feel like high school. My favorite were the jump to marriage couples.... It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion, only it had BCG's and acne.

Hahaha.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2011, 07:08 »

I found it hilarious back  in my A school class. We had a couple get married and my Chief called it perfectly and said " you guys will be divorced and out of the program by Power school."
Needless to say.... it happened.

Good senior enlisted leadership in action there  ::)

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2011, 07:52 »
Good senior enlisted leadership in action there  ::)

Well, once they put on their khaki exoskeletons, their spines can be removed...

Offline Marc622

• Light User
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2011, 10:54 »
LOL

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2011, 05:19 »
We had a girl check in to our ship and complained that a certain Chief was on board because he had blocked her from getting married while at NNPTC. We asked her to explain she said her fiancee at the time couldn't get out of study hours or class to get married and he sternly warned against it. She thinks he went out of his way to prevent it. We then asked if they ended up getting married and she said they broke up shortly after and blamed it on the chief.

That Chief was one of the best on the ship and he should have received a NAM for it. [salute]

dont remember this one?  O.o

I spit up my water all over my computer haha :D

LaFeet

« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2011, 12:40 »
You weren't allowed to have feelings until qualed charing station, and you weren't a person until RAW qualed.

What the heck is a charling station??/ I remember qualifying Charging Station watch - heck I was an ET... I even qualified as BCE.....but never charling station

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2011, 01:25 »
What the heck is a charling station??/ I remember qualifying Charging Station watch - heck I was an ET... I even qualified as BCE.....but never charling station

Stupid android phones... lol

MacGyver

« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2011, 11:09 »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2011, 02:06 »
It was the special spot in the plant that CM got to clean all the time and verify the correct torque on the fasteners there. He liked it until he figured out why the funnels smelled really foul.

Ah derek. You make me miss the navy, oh so much. :)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2011, 08:45 »

Ah derek. You make me miss the navy, oh so much. :)

Or any Navy thread, that causes you to miss Drayer so much  <3 <3 [whistle] [whistle] [whistle] ;)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2011, 11:21 »
Or any Navy thread, that causes you to miss Drayer so much  <3 <3 [whistle] [whistle] [whistle] ;)

hardy hardy har. Derek was one of my mentors in the navy, and one of the few people that actually took care of me when I needed it, so yeah.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?