Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Radiation Protection Technician School honeypot

Author Topic: Radiation Protection Technician School  (Read 14650 times)

Offline bittnerb1

• Very Lite User
Radiation Protection Technician School
« on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:15 »
I am the President of the Texas State Technical College Student Branch Health Physics Society and I would like to let all of you who are interested in obtaining a degree in Radiation Protection that Texas State Technical College in Waco, TX now offers an Associates of Applied Science in Radiation Protection Technology.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Re: Radiation Protection Technician School
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:43 »
Can this be taken online? and is it transferable to other colleges like Thomas Edison?
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2010, 07:44 by Smart People »
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline 5kip6

• Light User
  • All's great!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:57 »
I AM INTERESTED if it can be done online also.   Please let us know.   

Offline bittnerb1

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:03 »
I am sorry, this program may not be taken online.  As far as transferring credits to Thomas Edison, I am unsure what credits will transfer.  I know quite a few credits will transfer to Tarleton State University and all of my credits will transfer to Lamar University.

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:25 »
I think they will at 2/3 credit, at least that is what Thomas Edison State did back in the mid 90's for CFC's program. A friend of mine had to get the NRRPT for them to accept the credits fully...ok made up for the 30 hrs lost on the quarter to semester transfer.

I have my AAS from Waco and i understand that Excelsior will accept them, but i don't know if there is a loss of hours from quarter to semester. I do believe, however they will take into account experience, training, and/or NRRPT if that is the case.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:28 »
Have you researched WHO we are?!  We work for a living and what you offer has very little to do with what we can possibly do.  Thanks for your offer but I don't think it really applies to "nukworkers".
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:24 »
It is in the "Getting In" thread, but a more appropriate place might be the closest hiring plant thread.

Does your program have a relationship with the nearby nuclear facilities?
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:59 »
Have you researched WHO we are?!  We work for a living and what you offer has very little to do with what we can possibly do.  Thanks for your offer but I don't think it really applies to "nukworkers".

Retread.  I don't think you understand who we are.  We are not just outage workers, or power plant workers, or DOE workers.  We are any worker that works in nuclear.  That can include universities, and people that live near Waco.  What I'm saying is that no two NukeWorkers are the same, and it is very limited to think that all NukeWorkers are just like 'us'.  They are not.  I am always surprised by the diverse user base.  We tend to think that only the vocal minority visits the site (HPs & Operators & Futer HPs & Operators).  We couldn't be more wrong.

Perhaps there are a lot of people from Texas, near Waco, with no degree but an interest in nuclear just wishing that there was a degree program for them, but they never thought to check the local college.  And maybe they found this site... but not the local college.  Hmmm...  No?

I do agree that his message does not hit the vast majority of us, and I'm sure you didn't mean for your message to sound rude, but it did sound a little on the rude side.  No harm, no foul. Nothing to see here.  Move along.
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2010, 09:08 by Rennhack »

pertle2

« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:14 »
If you are looking for an Online AAS degree in Radiation Protection, Look at Western Kentucky Community abd Technical College. WKCTC.EDU They offer a transferable course to Thomas Edison State College. I know I did it myself.... 

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:27 »
Retread.  I don't think you understand who we are.  We are not just outage workers, or power plant workers, or DOE workers.  We are any worker that works in nuclear.  That can include universities, and people that live near Waco.  What I'm saying is that no two NukeWorkers are the same, and it is very limited to think that all NukeWorkers are just like 'us'.  They are not.  I am always surprised by the diverse user base.  We tend to think that only the vocal minority visits the site (HPs & Operators & Futer HPs & Operators).  We couldn't be more wrong.

Perhaps there are a lot of people from Texas, near Waco, with no degree but an interest in nuclear just wishing that there was a degree program for them, but they never thought to check the local college.  And maybe they found this site... but not the local college.  Hmmm...  No?

I do agree that his message does not hit the vast majority of us, and I'm sure you didn't mean for your message to sound rude, but it did sound a little on the rude side.  No harm, no foul. Nothing to see here.  Move along.

Good coaching Mike.  Sorry for coming across rudely. I'll try to keep your comments in mind.
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline bittnerb1

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:51 »
No foul retread, I understand there are a number of people that have a diverse background using this site.  As the TSTC President of the Health Physics Society, one of my responsibilities is recruiting students into our program.  We have two nuclear power plants near here that we work with, Comanche Peak and South Texas Project.  I understand people are trying to get that senior HP status and a great way to get that status is by obtaining your degree in Radiation Protection Technology.  I enjoy helping people in any way I can because you never know I might get the favor returned later in life.

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:56 »
The degree can help you get your foot in the door if you don't have an avenue in, say like a friend, relative or in-law. The best way in from what i have seen is to have somebody on the inside to help. My degree helped me get in because i did not know anybody, West Texas was not a hot spot for Nuclear Power.

I spent several years as a contract junior and then one year as an 18.1, then 3.1. Some sites will give a year of experience for your degree AFTER you have done your junior time plus one outage as an 18.1 and others don't count it at all. It just depends on the site.
I was told "there are plenty of jobs for our graduates when they complete the program." Needless to say i was a little disheartened when my first job was as a junior deconner for about 45 days then to another site for 27 days followed by a 6 month lay off with unemployment benefits of $45/week for 3 months....yeah, it ran out. It was not easy when i graduated but it was fun and quite a learning experience. I'm just glad i did not have a wife and kids at the time.

I know when i was in Waco, the instructors were decent and knowledgeable of the material, but they have never worked as contractor for a living on the power plant side of things. Maybe things have changed as far as instructors go, i don't know.

Not trying to rain on your parade but there had better be some holes being dug at the Peak and STP for there to be junior house slots come open. So don't count those chickens yet.

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:21 »
Luminant regularly brings in TSTC students as interns for outages. They like the grads there and it works for both parties. It counts as junior RP ANSI time as well, so students get their foot in the door and get to work an outage or two before graduation.Tstc does benchmark at commercial power plants to find out what the plants are looking for in radiation protection techs and how they can accommodate the industry. I myself went through the program there, and received a pretty diverse education. From Advanced radionuclide analysis to Detection and Meters. They offer EHS classes and Chemistry, and even a NRRPT prep.
The instructors are top notch and actually benchmark alumni that are in the field as well.( Several Health Physics Managers and RPM's ) Bryan is a good guy. Ive actually worked with him in a lab situation. He is on his way to a great career.
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

exocom

« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2010, 12:00 »
As stated earlier, a degree can get your foot in the door.  The degree got myself and at least five other graduates our first Junior RP jobs at Palo Verde in 1986.  If I recall the break down of my class that graduated was: University HP=1, Hospital (University?) HP=1, Nuclear Isotope Oil Well company HP=1, Contract Junior RPs=6 and 1 that I do not recall.  4 that started as contractors and the Nuclear Isotope tech eventually went to D.O.E., at least for awhile.  Currently of my class(as far as a know): at least 2 are still in D.O.E., 2 are contract RPs, 1 Nuclear Power House RP, 1 is a Nuclear Power Operator, University HP=1, Hospital (University?) HP=1, one I have no idea and one has passed (was a House RP).  Do not limit your options to just power plants.  Took myself two years to make Senior (we worked quite alot back then).  At the time most of the ANSI 18.1 plants did not count the degree for any time, but most of the ANSI 3.1 plants did (once you had your two years of experience).  Made for the strange situation of jumping from Junior to 3.1 Senior possible.  If you get the AAS continue your education as soon as you can. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?