Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I'm in! How a non-Navy guy did it..

Author Topic: I'm in! How a non-Navy guy did it..  (Read 18881 times)

ski2313

I'm in! How a non-Navy guy did it..
« on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:21 »
First off, I want to thank the users of this site.. People seem to be very helpful, and there is a wealth of information here that helped me out over the last 2 years to break in to this industry as an NLO.

My background is obviously not Navy Nuclear, and on top of that I have no formal degree. However, I do have 3 years of college (1 year of engineering, 2 years of biochemistry, all 3 years heavy on the math and science). That essentially gives me an Associate's of Applied Science equivalent+, but makes me nothing more than a fringe candidate. I have worked at two nuclear plants in the past as a summer intern in the Supply Chain, and for a contractor in a Laborer's union during a refueling outage (so I'm at least familiar and comfortable with the nuclear environment and culture). From that point,the last eight years I spent at my family's mortgage company as a commercial and residential loan officer. So knowing these facts and looking at them objectively (as if I were the interviewer), how could I make a logical appeal to an interview panel and land a position? That's the question I answered myself and worked on for the last two years, in a concerted effort to change industries and careers and land my dream job as an Operator.

First and foremost, I learned as much as possible about the position and the career path. I learned alot from this site. I even personally interviewed, at length, two career (near retirement) operators that I knew through the mortgage business (clients). I decided that this was the path that I wanted to travel, and that was that. I envy people who know exactly what they want to do from a young age, but that just wasn't me. It took me until I was almost 30 to figure it out.

It became immediately apparent to me that the Navy Nuclear power school guys were the gold standard for the position. Look at almost any job posting, or even this site, and that's obvious. So what do they have that I don't have, and how do I get it? Short of enlisting in the Navy, I went to work on obtaining the basics. I downloaded and printed off every single DOE Fundamentals volume, and every single NRC exam bank and studied them religiously for over 18 months. It wasn't every day, but it was awfully close. It's a stack of paper about 4ft high. I asked a few people I knew in the industry if they thought this was necessary, and almost all of them said "Don't worry about it... they'll teach you that when you get in there." I did not see eye to eye with that because it was illogical. If asked the question, how could I possibly appeal to an interviewer that I should be hired over a Navy Nuclear candidate, when I don't even possess the fundamental knowledge that they have? So I studied my ass off at home every night and absorbed as much as possible. The NRC exam banks were also a critical part of my learning, since it showed me in what context I'd need to be applying the information I was learning in the fundamentals books. My college was also a military college (think Citadel). I thought that would be of value; being in a scrutinized and regimented military environment for three years. I perform well under scrutiny, discipline, and pressure. That, combined with the fundamentals, was about as close as I was going to come to Navy Nuke.

So the opportunity came to apply for a position. I got a sniff from one company, then turned down.

2nd opportunity came. I tweaked my resume, improved my cover letter, beefed up the references (particularly people I knew from the industry), and got a phone interview. Was sent a denial letter. I called the recruiter and left him a message seeking feedback for next time the position was posted. Called me back and invited me to take the POSS. Passed. Invited in for a 2nd interview. I thought the interview went well (first formal interview I've ever had). Took a plant tour. Followup/Thank You letters to interview panel. Ten days go by, denial letter. I was temporarily crushed. Thankfully I received feedback, and apparently they hired 7 Navy Nukes and a local candidate that had a completed engineering degree. I was denied because of no formal degree. This was starting to be an uphill battle, but I don't give up when I want something. I started taking courses towards a Nuclear Technology program the following week.

I also got to thinking about the interview, and as the weeks went by I started to pick apart each question.. Figure out why they asked a particular question and what were they really asking, what they were looking for, and what could I do better for next time. In hindsight, I may have bombed the interview. Hard to say for sure, but regardless I was going to do it better next time.

Opportunities #3 and #4 came and went (denial letters). What I deduced from this is that "fringe" candidates like myself, with relatively weak resumes, don't get interviews with nuclear plants that aren't local.

Undaunted, I kept on studying and taking courses. Finally an opportunity came along at a plant near my home. The posting required a POSS test and a GFES exam to get a 2nd interview. I knew I could pass the POSS, and was pretty darn sure I could pass the GFES. It covered math, chemistry, thermodynamics, nuclear and classical physics, reactor theory, plant components (pumps, valves, etc), I&C, etc, etc.. This was the opportunity that I had been waiting for, although I didn't know it at the time. Finding a utility that gives this test up front, and passing it, might be the only way a fringe candidate will get into this industry as an NLO. Resumes are debatable, test scores are not. From what I've been told since then, only eight candidates out of 30 passed both the POSS and the GFES, and we were all given job offers. I'm excited as hell, and hope to be on this career path until I'm retired and fishing in a boat all day. Thanks again to the users of this site. You were a great help, and I'll try to return the favor.

-ski

Buddy

Re: I'm in! How a non-Navy guy did it..
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:46 »
You, my friend, are what this country needs more of.  +K Good luck with your new job!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:24 »
Congratulations and welcome to the industry! I admire your perseverance and am happy it worked out for you finally. Please do stay around here as our resident "fringe candidate" expert, as your experience would be an invaluable resource for others like you.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:33 »
Way to persevere!! Congratulations!
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:56 »
First off, I want to thank the users of this site.. People seem to be very helpful, and there is a wealth of information here that helped me out over the last 2 years to break in to this industry as an NLO.
<
<
<
 Thanks again to the users of this site. You were a great help, and I'll try to return the favor.

-ski

Congratulations, don't forget us and don't forget to "Pay it forward" for the next guy/gal.

[clap] [salute] [clap] [salute] [clap] [salute] [clap] [salute] [clap] [salute]

MacGyver

« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2011, 04:48 »
I'm proud of you "ski" {sic}. 

Mac

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:33 »
Very well done.  +K
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

ski2313

« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2011, 01:50 »
Thanks for the replies, everyone. As the new kid on the block, I'm probably not of much use here.. but I'll interject when/if it's relevant. Every once in awhile I find a little nugget worth sharing. Thanks again

-ski

chamberd

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2011, 10:03 »
ski... BIG thanks for your follow up on what went right / wrong.  I too am looking to jump into this field.  (unfortunately at 41 tho)... Your story is very insightful and also a great reminder to continue to persevere until your goal is achieved.  BEST of luck in now stepping into your goal and advancing on.  and PLEASE do continue to post.   Your story is a huge inspiration that validates your perspiration.   +K

Offline say78

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2011, 09:41 »
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Your story is very inspirational for all those, who are still trying to land their first job in the industry, including myself. Congratulation and please keep us posted on your progress.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2011, 10:27 by say78 »

Content1

« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2011, 11:03 »
3 years of college, heavy in math, is nothing to push yourself off as "fringe."  You have earned the position you received, and with a reviving economy with the Repubs making budget cuts, it will only get better even for people with less education.

rharkre

« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2011, 03:41 »
I am currently in Security at a Nuke plant.  I have little nuclear experience, but went ahead and applied for an operators position based on my 5 years in the Gas Drilling Industry and 12 years military.  I was just informed that i am to take the POSS exam and need all the help I can get.  I am not a dummy.  I have one semester left towards a Mechanical Engineering Tech degree.  The interview process does not frighten me at all, its just this exam because I want to succeed.  Thanks

Pman52

« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:12 »
I am currently in Security at a Nuke plant.  I have little nuclear experience, but went ahead and applied for an operators position based on my 5 years in the Gas Drilling Industry and 12 years military.  I was just informed that i am to take the POSS exam and need all the help I can get.  I am not a dummy.  I have one semester left towards a Mechanical Engineering Tech degree.  The interview process does not frighten me at all, its just this exam because I want to succeed.  Thanks
Based on what you have said, I don't think you'll have a problem.  Work on speed and check out the practice exams on EEI's website.  This can be found on the webpage of the utility you are applying for.  Just check out the employment testing section for the link.

Offline yalikedags?

• Light User
  • 'levendey-niner it...
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2011, 05:24 »
I am currently in Security at a Nuke plant.  I have little nuclear experience, but went ahead and applied for an operators position based on my 5 years in the Gas Drilling Industry and 12 years military.  I was just informed that i am to take the POSS exam and need all the help I can get.  I am not a dummy.  I have one semester left towards a Mechanical Engineering Tech degree.  The interview process does not frighten me at all, its just this exam because I want to succeed.  Thanks ----------------

I concur with Pman...
Study your decimal to fraction conversions and vice versa. If you can figure which way to turn a screw/bolt to tighten/loosen by looking at the threads and can look at an exploded illustration of an object and deduce how to correctly reassemble it, the POSS will not be a problem.

rharkre

« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2011, 05:34 »
Thanks alot guys!!  I guess the best thing to do is go into all of this with confidence and strive for excellence.

Offline storm13

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 03:02 »
Fantastic!  Very encouraging.

Your story sounds very similar to my situation, only I'm not in yet.  I just graduated this month with an A.A.S from Bismarck State.

I've worked a refuel as a (contractor) decon laborer, and another one as a temp for the utility itself, both before starting my degree program. 

I'd gotten an interview for an aux operator at the local plant a while back, but I guess didn't make the cut at that time.  This March, they were accepting applications for another class, but I got an email from their staffing department a week or so ago saying that they weren't going to be filling any positions with applicants from outside the company "in the foreseeable future", whatever that means.

I've had a recent interview with a research reactor, but I think they're worried that I'd only take the job long enough to make myself more appealing in the commercial industry.  They said they liked me a lot, but there's been no offer yet.

dubstep girl

« Reply #16 on: Jul 20, 2011, 02:17 »
awesome! thats a really cool story, it almost bought a tear to my eye, very inspiring.  :)

M1Ark

« Reply #17 on: Jul 20, 2011, 09:41 »
Ski,

I'll hire you.

M1Ark

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: Jul 23, 2011, 10:56 »
I would hire ski in a heartbeat. It's great seeing someone pay attention and work at it as hard and diligently as he did, then actually share his experience and plan with others. Whoever hired him just gave themselves a huge benefit to their department.

NuclearLightOrchestra

« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2011, 09:18 »
Great story!  Kind of makes me feel like a shmuck considering how I got into Operations.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2011, 09:22 »
Great story!  Kind of makes me feel like a shmuck considering how I got into Operations.

Actually, considering the even more humble origins of your start point, is inspirational to newcomers as well!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?