Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Q clearance interview got me fired honeypot

Author Topic: Q clearance interview got me fired  (Read 22281 times)

mike37909

Q clearance interview got me fired
« on: Dec 16, 2010, 06:41 »
My current employer terminated me when I told them they would be contacted by OPM for an interview concerning my Q clearance.  Has anyone heard of this happening before?   During my interview with OPM the investigator told me she would be contacting my employer the next day so I warned him and the next day was my last day.  I told him I wanted to give him notice after I got my clearance.  Now I have no job and still no clearance.  I was initally denied unemployment but appealed it and have a hearing coming up.  Any precedent for this sort of development.  My stress level is pretty bad, especially since I don't know when the clearance may be approved if it is.  Advice?

tselby

Re: Q clearance interview got me fired
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:33 »
My current employer terminated me when I told them they would be contacted by OPM for an interview concerning my Q clearance.  Has anyone heard of this happening before?   During my interview with OPM the investigator told me she would be contacting my employer the next day so I warned him and the next day was my last day.  I told him I wanted to give him notice after I got my clearance.  Now I have no job and still no clearance.  I was initally denied unemployment but appealed it and have a hearing coming up.  Any precedent for this sort of development.  My stress level is pretty bad, especially since I don't know when the clearance may be approved if it is.  Advice?

I have never heard of someone terminating you because you had warned them that they may be contacted by OPM for a "Q" Clearance investigation.

As for how long does it take to obtain a "Q" clearance it depends on how extensively and how far back they are going into your background, how many yrs, where you have traveled, where you have lived (multiple locales), there are multiple things that affect how long it takes, believe it will be extensive,,, the less in your background to investigate the less it will take,,,, when I worked for USEC Inc, required DOE "Q" clearance, my clearance took 12months, but i am a 20yr retired Navy CPO that has traveled extensively overseas.

co60slr

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:16 »
I have never heard of someone terminating you because you had warned them that they may be contacted by OPM for a "Q" Clearance investigation.

As for how long does it take to obtain a "Q" clearance it depends on how extensively and how far back they are going into your background, how many yrs, where you have traveled, where you have lived (multiple locales), there are multiple things that affect how long it takes, believe it will be extensive,,, the less in your background to investigate the less it will take,,,, when I worked for USEC Inc, required DOE "Q" clearance, my clearance took 12months, but i am a 20yr retired Navy CPO that has traveled extensively overseas.
I bet the issue doesn't involve the Q, but the fact it was suddenly made plainly clear that the OP was hired for another job.  Firing someone for getting another job sounds like bad business to me, but I'm still learning.

I think DOE Q's take a long time.  However, normally you quickly get an interim DOE-L.  The OP won't be able to handle Secret-Restricted Data (if I recall correctly...Atomic Energy Act rules on Interim Clearances); however likely not a show-stopper for most.   The start date will likely depend on the clearance required and if a DOE-L will allow the OP to be useful.

Good topic though.  "How to get a DOE-Q job without having to bag groceries at WalMart while you wait"

tselby

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:26 »
I bet the issue doesn't involve the Q, but the fact it was suddenly made plainly clear that the OP was hired for another job.  Firing someone for getting another job sounds like bad business to me, but I'm still learning.

I think DOE Q's take a long time.  However, normally you quickly get an interim DOE-L.  The OP won't be able to handle Secret-Restricted Data (if I recall correctly...Atomic Energy Act rules on Interim Clearances); however likely not a show-stopper for most.   The start date will likely depend on the clearance required and if a DOE-L will allow the OP to be useful.

Good topic though.  "How to get a DOE-Q job without having to bag groceries at WalMart while you wait"

Co is exactly right, i believe it will depend on the job and the employer and the amount of info you will be subject to in your job, the interim "L" clearance will help, and will allow you to get around the facility (most places) and be productive until your "Q" clearance comes in... Good luck dont be afraid to ask for help and/or advice

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:21 »

Disclaimer: This is only personal opinion based upon the experiences of acquaintances, not to be confused with bad free legal advice!

Even if you are in an at-will state, you might try to find a lawyer to go after the ex-employer for wrongful termination; it isn't about the money, but to pin them down on the reason for termination. Even a crooked employer is going to be hesitant to swear/affirm to legally actionable items of testimony about your conduct (drinking, tardy,theft, fighting,insubordinate etc.) unless they have hard proof, because of the risk of a slander suit. If they have nothing, then the employers often fall back on "at-will employment state", still in probation status, position was FLSA Exempt- employment at mutual agreement, etc.

If the ex-employer might be able to substantiate their claim of the cause, then the Q may be up in smoke as well. The merit, or lack thereof, is where I'd focus my attention in your shoes. Good luck!

mike37909

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:35 »

I am pretty sure USEC does not have a position at K25 for me without the Q.  They told me to keep my current job, which I wanted to do.  I don't know why they terminated me because in the letter to unemployment it said I was not terminated for lack of work.  I believe it was though. Lack of work and it offended them that I would want to leave.  Lack of work is why I was looking to begin with.  I may just have to find a diff job until the clearance comes through.  Anyone need a Manufacturing Engineer with lots of electronics, neutron detector manufacturing and purchasing experience.

tselby

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:38 »
I am pretty sure USEC does not have a position at K25 for me without the Q.  They told me to keep my current job, which I wanted to do.  I don't know why they terminated me because in the letter to unemployment it said I was not terminated for lack of work.  I believe it was though. Lack of work and it offended them that I would want to leave.  Lack of work is why I was looking to begin with.  I may just have to find a diff job until the clearance comes through.  Anyone need a Manufacturing Engineer with lots of electronics, neutron detector manufacturing and purchasing experience.

Mike this doesnt mean they won't bring you in, it will depend on how long they think it will take you to achieve your clearance, When i worked for USEC they brought me in, and I did essentially some boy work, corrective actions, procedures, while i had m "L" until my "Q" came in,,,,

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:05 »
Anyone need a Manufacturing Engineer with lots of electronics, neutron detector manufacturing and purchasing experience.

Check your PMs.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?