Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Help Please
honeypot

Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 9055 times)

andrewnavy

Help Please
« on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:54 »
Hello Everyone,

I am an EM1(SS) sailor who is due to check out on terminal in April of 2011.  I would like to stay in the nuclear field but I am having some issues trying to put together a resume.  It is not that I do not have one it is just that there are so many different types, lengths, information etc.... between all the "right" resumes.  I was wondering if anyone would do me a huge favor and look at my resume to see if it is garbage and if so maybe enlighten me with some pointers to make it better.  Thank you guys very much for any information that you give.  I will check to see if there are any responses and then I will PM the resume.

Thanks,
Andy

andrewnavy

Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2010, 05:34 »
I just finished reading the links that you provided for me and they had some good information in them.  Thank you very much for your time.

Andy

co60slr

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:48 »
I am an EM1(SS) sailor who is due to check out on terminal in April of 2011.  I would like to stay in the nuclear field but I am having some issues trying to put together a resume. 

It is not that I do not have one it is just that there are so many different types, lengths, information etc.... between all the "right" resumes. 
I few things I've seen in reading recent resumes:

1.  Use MS Word *.doc.   Most of the electronic systems use that format and you'll be expected to "upload" it to the system.

2.  Include your Email address with your contact info.   It seems to be the main communication circuit.  Ensure your email address is professional.

3.  Academics.   Include NPS, NPTU GPA and standings....especially if they're good (e.g., 1/115, 3.95).   Obviously include college, degree, and GPA.   If any academics are "in progress", list that along with your current GPA and anticipated grad date.

4.  Quals.   EOOW/EWS?  Put it near the top.  If you're applying for nuclear ops, this is very important.

5.  What did you do?  Chronological, etc.

*  Title (put this in civilian terms).   Put a few sentences for your responsibilities.   

*  What did you do?   These are your bullets.  (Don't make your responsibilities your bullets).   This is a good place to copy/paste Fitrep bullets, and back them up with awards.   "Saved $1B on the ship's 2-week refit period.  Awarded a NAM".   

6.  Lastly, any additional "fluff".   

*  Personal Awards.  CO's letters, NAMs, etc. 

*  Additional, noteworthy quals

*  Security Clearance (very important!)

*  "Proficient Microsoft Office Programs" (etc)

I'm not a fan of listing the "RPPO", QAI, command PRT coordinator, etc.   

For a 8 and out EM1 (SS) qualified EWS, I would envision this to be on 1-1.5 pages (2 at most).

Watch the "overinflation" and "fluff".  Nuclear plants are staffed with many ex-Navy guys who will know that you didn't really save the Navy $1B during a refit.   Brag...by all means, but be able to back it up!

Finally, you might need a "nuclear resume" and a "non-nuclear resume" depending on your post-Navy career search.  While you'll get help with nuclear careers here, keep in mind that many transition into non-nuclear jobs for sometimes higher pay, less stress.   Consider using a national recruiter (see other threads on that topic) for your non-nuclear...and maybe nuclear searches.

Separately, if you're not networking, you're late.   Consider LinkedIn.com.   Find peers that have transitioned out of the Navy before your, old Division Officers, etc and learn what worked, didn't work for them.   At TAPS (you have gone already...right?) they'll tell you that most/many get their jobs through Networking.   I think that's very accurate.

Most importantly, have fun, be aggressive, be energetic and you'll find your military work ethic goes a long way.

Good thread!   I hope we get other modern 2010 ideas on resume writing.  This is an extremely important topic to the Navy: Getting Out crowd!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:35 »
Send me your resume. I am an SRO who was successfully hired at 3 different utilities since getting out of the Navy, and also an MM1.

jecrocker@gmail.com

Also, in slight disagreement with Co60, don't put fluff like awards, security clearance, or "proficient microsoft office programs" unless you have training to back it up. Like he said, watch the fluff.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010, 07:38 by JustinHEMI »

JsonD13

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2010, 08:36 »
I would keep it under two pages, try for one page.  You should only list relevant information for the applicable job posting (if you are applying for Electrical Maintenance, no need to list that you were an article 108 tech), unless it completes a timeline (like continuity of work). Also, list all education unless you have multiple degrees at one level (2 B.S.'s or similar), in other cases list the most applicable degree.

Also, you should only list your GPA if it is well above 3.0, like magna cum laude level or above.

Jason

andrewnavy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:12 »
Well guys here is the skinny on me:
I am currently stationed at Pearl Harbor Naval Ship Yard as an electrical/mechanical instructor (no MTS due to lack of program here).  I was also a work controls administrator prior to the instructor opportunity opening up.  I will have been in the Navy for 9 years this March. If I remember correctly, I was top half at all the Navy schools ( cannot believe a potential employer would care about that ::)) While on my shore duty I finished the BSNET from Excelsior College with a final GPA of 3.46.  I qualified EWS/EDPO and stood the watches for about a year prior to leaving so I do not know how much that will help me for the two year wicket.  While in the yard I qualified Industrial Watch Officer which is the catch all for maintenance issues on all ships under the yard's cognizance.  Basically, if there is a problem, I get the call and seek resolution with the O-6 that runs the production department.

I have enjoyed the instructor position immensely, especially since I teach mostly new college hires, management, and some of the EDO officer community.  On the boat I was good technician and have proof to back it up.  I think it is funny that there are already differing opinions on what the resume should have in it :)  I wish there was one standard form and not a thousand "right" ways to write it.  I think that my biggest road block will probably be my current location but I am willing to move anywhere to get a foot in the door (maintenance, operations, instructor....janitor)

To everyone on this site thank you.  I have read a ridiculous amount of threads here that have been extremely helpful and hopefully it will help me start my new phase in life on the right foot.

BroadZilla I hear from one of my buddies in your training department that you are great, not to mention that your posts are hilarious.  I will be a janitor in your plant if it has upward mobility :P

Justin: I will shoot you the resume. THANKS YOU SO MUCH!

andrewnavy

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:18 »
All,

I forgot to say that my EAOS is in June and terminal in April.  I have already joined Linkedin.  I also have Bradley-Morris, Lucas Group, Orion International, and some other smaller recruiting groups.  I have also been applying for other jobs on my own.  I am definitely being as proactive as I can be.

Thanks Again,

Andy

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:31 »
If you hav been in for nine years - what is another eleven ???  I know since I did the same thing, only Army.

A lot of folks read that nine as 'ten plus' and add to their list of why type of questions and won't accept your answer.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

andrewnavy

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:50 »
I have recently become a dad and I really do not like the Navy way of doing things.  Another 11 years sounds like a death sentence to me.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:51 »
Got his resume. His is one of the better starts I have seen from here lately.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:04 »
LOL Your buddy is sadly mistaken. PM me who he is and send me your resume. If I'm working with one of your buddies I'm obligated to help. Sort of makes you extended family.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2010, 11:56 »
All,

I forgot to say that my EAOS is in June and terminal in April.  I have already joined Linkedin.  I also have Bradley-Morris, Lucas Group, Orion International, and some other smaller recruiting groups.  I have also been applying for other jobs on my own.  I am definitely being as proactive as I can be.

Thanks Again,

Andy

Bradley Morris has some people working there that are really good with Word.  Once you get the material in your resume where you want it, get it to them.  I'm not one of those Word geniuses, so my resume was pretty well written, but didn't look as nice as I would have liked.  They can turn a resume around in a day, and it will look really good.

Good luck!
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2010, 03:32 »
Coming from my EXTREMELY humble back ground, I will tell you to start looking 2-3 months before you get out. I had this delusion that I would be getting doors knocked down with people wanting to hire me. Took me 5 months to find a nuclear field job that I wanted! 3 months was hiring process for where Im going to be starting in January (applied in late september, early october). And if you are going to push for SRO, I've only seen exelon and duke hiring for that position in the past few months. (Im sure I didnt look everywhere, but I was working full time to find full time work ;) )

andrewnavy

« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2010, 02:10 »
Everyone,

Thank you guys very much for all of your help.  I just finished sending out my resume to all parties who offered to look at it.  Thanks for all of the insight that I have already received.  I will keep everyone updated on how my job hunt goes if anyone is interested in that.  Merry Christsmas to all of you and have a safe holiday season.

Andy

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?