Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice needed
honeypot

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 5808 times)

rmm1209

Advice needed
« on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:09 »
I just came across this forum after doing an internet search and it looks like the right place to get some advice.  I'm interested in exploring opportunities that might be available in the nuclear field for someone with my background.  I'm 42 and I've been teaching Physics for about 15 years (high school and community college).  I have no experience in the nuclear field.  I have a BS in Physics, an MA in Physics Education, and an MA in Physics.  I was in a PhD program in Physics; the MA in Physics was the degree we received after passing the comprehensive exams. 

What kind of entry level nuclear job should I be looking for given my background?  Is my age a negative for someone that is just getting started in nuclear work?  Would taking some Nuclear Engineering courses online help my cause?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  Happy Holidays!

co60slr

Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:37 »
I just came across this forum after doing an internet search and it looks like the right place to get some advice.  I'm interested in exploring opportunities that might be available in the nuclear field for someone with my background.  I'm 42 and I've been teaching Physics for about 15 years (high school and community college).  I have no experience in the nuclear field.  I have a BS in Physics, an MA in Physics Education, and an MA in Physics.  I was in a PhD program in Physics; the MA in Physics was the degree we received after passing the comprehensive exams.  

What kind of entry level nuclear job should I be looking for given my background?  Is my age a negative for someone that is just getting started in nuclear work?  Would taking some Nuclear Engineering courses online help my cause?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  Happy Holidays!

I'll answer your question from one angle (there are others to consider).

The Nuclear Industry is gearing up towards the AP1000 plant (and other new construction projects).  One thing the industry is desperate for right now are Instructors.  I'm seeing regular emails on Linkedin.com from recruiters and "Tweets" (Twitter.com) from some utilities that seem to be very aggressively recruiting.

Many are looking for "previously licensed/certified SROs"; however, some are putting their instructor candidates through an SRO Cert program and then putting them in a classroom to teach.   Given your highly technical academic background (but no commercial or engineering experience) this seems to be your best direct entry to Commercial Nuclear.

I don't think your participation in a PhD program is relevent for two reasons:  1)  you're no longer in the program, and 2) you left without the PhD.  While a DOE Lab would care to know why, I don't think a Commercial Utility is concerned about PhD programs.  You've proven yourself technically with 6 years of Physics...I think you're fine.

Separately, nuclear engineering coursework wouldn't hurt.  PENN State has online coursework...I think a 401 level class that is basically Nuclear Operator Fundamentals (GFES as we discuss here) with calculus.  I don't think this will help your resume, but it might help you understand what you're in for in Nuclear Physics.

I don't think age is a factor at all.  There are many 40-ish people leaving the Nuclear Navy and starting new careers in Commercial Nuclear.  Jump on the bandwagon...

My $0.25 for the day.

P.S...http://www.energycentraljobs.com/seeker/job_detail_preview.cfm?cpane=11106&job_id=C7E141DA-1372-574A-8CCE726837012F81

« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2010, 06:39 by Co60Slr »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:57 »
I couldn't agree more with Co60. You have the credentials to be an instructor in this industry.

That said, let me assume that the reason you are looking at this industry is to get away from teaching.

In that respect, I recommend looking at the exciting world of nuclear power operations, where you could probably easily get scooped up for an NLO position.

I am not hiring manager (yet), but I would welcome someone with your age and experience into my ranks with open arms.

Good luck and keep us posted!

tselby

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:19 »
You must remember that the Nuclear Industry is not just, nuclear power plants but includes the DOE, NRC, and other unique places to work. If it is your desire to work at a Nuclear Power Plant and become an instructor as Co60 or in Operations as Hemi says by all means I too think your talent would be welcomed into our industry no problems,,,,,

If becoming an engineer or inspector interests you then I can tell you that I would look into working at the NRC or INPO both have challenging and active careers.........and both are currently hiring and actively looking for people with caliber.

Keep us posted and best of luck to you!!
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2010, 10:20 by Liquid_fuel »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:28 »
You must remember that the Nuclear Industry is not just, nuclear power plants but includes the DOE, NRC, and other unique places to work. If it is your desire to work at a Nuclear Power Plant and become an instructor as Co60 or in Operations as Hemi says by all means I too think your talent would be welcomed into our industry no problems,,,,,

If becoming an engineer or inspector interests you then I can tell you that I would look into working at the NRC or INPO both have challenging and active careers.........and both are currently hiring and actively looking for people with caliber.

Keep us posted and best of luck to you!!

Very good point! I often forget about those organizations, and they always seem to be hiring.

Content1

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:29 »
I just came across this forum after doing an internet search and it looks like the right place to get some advice.  I'm interested in exploring opportunities that might be available in the nuclear field for someone with my background.  I'm 42 and I've been teaching Physics for about 15 years (high school and community college).  I have no experience in the nuclear field.  I have a BS in Physics, an MA in Physics Education, and an MA in Physics.  I was in a PhD program in Physics; the MA in Physics was the degree we received after passing the comprehensive exams. 

What kind of entry level nuclear job should I be looking for given my background?  Is my age a negative for someone that is just getting started in nuclear work?  Would taking some Nuclear Engineering courses online help my cause?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  Happy Holidays!

Look at the Lawrence Livermore lab, why start out as some sort of basic job like an Jr. Hp when you are qualified for a bunch more.   With a BS in Physics, look at https://careers.llnl.gov/ and look for the jobs board, get your resume together and submit to many that are currently available.   This is just one of the nationwide labs.   

The problems in going the HP/RCT route is in spite of your qualification, they make you wait 3 or more years as a Junior to become a senior, minus a year for your education in the field to get somewhat decent pay.   Your education deserves better.   If I had your background I would want to be a scientist of some sort, the fun jobs verses swinging a meter.

tselby

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:12 »
I went to the Entergy site a few weeks back and applied for the following positions:

Sr Engineer (Nuc) - Grand Gulf
Sr Engineer (Nuc) - Grand Gulf
Sr Engineer (Nuc) - Echelon One
Instructor, Ops Sr Staff Nuc - Grand Gulf
Instructor, Ops Sr Staff Nuc - Grand Gulf

I didn't feel like I was really qualified for any of these based on the job descriptions and my lack of experience.  I figured that I would need to be on the lookout for something more entry level so I can get some experience (hence my original post).  I just need to know what to look for when openings get posted.

I checked the Entergy site this morning and my status has been changed to Hiring Manager Review for one of the Sr Engineer positions and both Instructor positions.  I'm not really sure what that means since I imagine that many applications get forwarded to the hiring manager.  My status is Application Received for the other two positions.

Thanks again for all of the information that you have shared so far.  Happy Holidays to you and yours!

application received means that corporate head quarters has received you application. This happens this way because you have to apply online. At least as far as Entergy is concerned (Since I work for them I have knowledge of how the process works)

Hiring Manager review means Corporate headquarters has passed your resume on to the hiring manager. This is normally the Department head in charge of the department which holds the open position for which you applied.

don't discount your experience in teaching especially for the instructor positions.

Again I work for Entergy any specific questions you have concerning Grand Gulf or the company in general please feel free to send me a message.......

Again best of luck

one thing to remember when trying to transition into the civilian nuclear industry is one must have patience and not get discouraged if it takes what seems to you a long time for them to respond the industry as a whole is very slow in hiring people........

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:58 »
Do not underestimate the power of having teaching experience. You have skills AND a knowledge of accreditation and the last s EXTREMELY importsnt in this industry!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2010, 01:06 »
Do not underestimate the power of having teaching experience. You have skills AND a knowledge of accreditation and the last s EXTREMELY importsnt in this industry!

have a couple beers, mikey? :D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?