Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Do House-Jobs Make You Old?  

Poll

I am over 30 years old and...

...a balding and/or grey-haired house employee.
25 (30.1%)
... a non-balding and non-grey-haired house employee.
20 (24.1%)
...a balding and/or grey-haired traveler.
13 (15.7%)
...a non-balding and non-grey-haired traveler.
25 (30.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Do House-Jobs Make You Old?  (Read 32684 times)

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
Re: Do House-Jobs Make You Old?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 08:33 »
What about a category of greying but NOT balding?

Of course, that's why they made L'Oreal... LOL

;D ;D ;D

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 11:45 »
So, in my case at least, I've proven that my grey hair is definitely related to my job/situation.

And, here's another example:  I'd given up on my facial hair being part of the greying/non-greying equation...it's been predominantly white for years.  But, I've spent the past two years clean-shaven due to job requirements.  Let the whiskers grow while I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago and...they are mostly dark again!

Guess the current gig puts me in my young state-of-mind/body!

:)

...and no grey hair on my head right now either!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 12:28 »
Just guessing but I think you are right in my experience....

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 01:02 »
Going house is still the greatest decision Ive ever made in my life.....only negative: Not seeing those interesting people on the road.  I take off an entire month during the summer.....its not the whole summer like roading.....but its plenty.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Content1

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 05:41 »
Going house is still the greatest decision Ive ever made in my life.....only negative: Not seeing those interesting people on the road.  I take off an entire month during the summer.....its not the whole summer like roading.....but its plenty.

I have to compare to the times when I was a house tech or working at a permanent job versus my time on the road. I spent some time from June, 2009 to January, 2012 at the Lawrence Livermore lab. I found a wasted the first six months there retraining on what I already knew. Once the actual job started it was quickly mastered then the fun went out of it. The lab there is run closer to a country club where all the good old boys on a first name basis. If you resist becoming a “good old boy” with all the socialization activities you will be labeled an outsider. I found a job got to be so routine and without challenge and I kept seeking ways to get a different job. During this time there was a government pay freeze which didn’t help matters. When I made the mistake of going to my supervisors explaining how I like to progress it put an expiration date on my stay there. I was eventually laid off for “budgetary reasons” and I recall the day I was being laid off I called Joey at Bartlett and found a job back on the road in one hour.
    I’ve always loathed permanent jobs because of the politics and butt kissing that goes on to keep your job. I like the road because they really need you. As soon as they don’t need you, they lay you off.  The job is usually different each time with new people who care more about the money they make the trying to get their enjoyment being mean to each other. During the three months or so I am off I am able to explore other avenues to be independent. I’m working on my first science fiction novel. The research to prepare for this novel has expanded my intellectual pursuits. It seems you never have time to grow on a house except in political ways. When I joined the Navy the Navy tried to control me to think their way; you get the same effect at most house jobs. If you are not the type to be controlled than you should not be a house tech.  I find the stress associated with manipulative associates tends to age you far more rapidly than you when you are not under the stress of meeting political goals.

surf50

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 10:39 »
I think that being house makes you feel old, while traveling makes you look old. It's tough physically traveling, plus contractors usually work harder. (There are exceptions on both sides).
When I started traveling after 20+ years house I was shocked, (SHOCKED I tell you..) to see how hard the outage contractors worked. Embarrassingly, my work pace had atrophied, like an unused muscle.
We house techs thought of ourselves as just being there in case something happens. If you weren't a self starter you could be bored.

And most of the house politics/co-worker issues can be avoided by simply working backshift.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 11:49 »
No, time makes you old. Whether you are house doing the house thing or on the road bouncing from one place to another. You get out of it what you put into it. Thre is always something new to learn if you look for it or you can just do your time and go home.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?