Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu EM1 with 10 years getting out in 6 months...any advice please.

Author Topic: EM1 with 10 years getting out in 6 months...any advice please.  (Read 14747 times)

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
First off, Hello to everybody, thank you for all your info.  I've been reading on here for a while, just haven’t posted.

Like the title says, I am a surface nuke EM1 with 10 years in and I am 6 months from my EAOS.  I am currently on recruiting duty as the Nuke Coordinator, I have my resume done and have already started applying for positions.  I posted my resume on here and on monster, this morning I received calls from Bradley-Morris, Lucas group, and I've already been working with Orion for a month now.  I've been told the same thing by all three recruiting services that I should expect to start getting calls for interviews in the March timeframe.

I qualified up to LD on the ship and spent the last year as the PPDT LD, which I loved.  I have a few classes left to finish my bachelors which I intend to do after I get out (I know, lazy and stupid not to finish before, but hind sight is always 20/20).

I am just looking for any and all advice you guys and gals might have.

Thanks,
Aron

tselby

Here is a start ~ try reviewing this thread from a fellow shipmate who recently posted.....

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,25958.0.html

there is a lot of advice if you just use the search function,,,, if you want specific advice, i would reccomend to you that you ask specific questions that you can not find the answers too.......

many here are willing to help, but also want to see you show some initiative by researching first.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2010, 12:25 by Liquid_fuel »

JustinHEMI05

Unless things have changed, dump the recruiters.

tselby

Unless things have changed, dump the recruiters.

I second that ,,,,,,,, use the company websites to find job postings are apply

Have a plan , know what you want to do, where you would like to be and go for it

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
Here is a start ~ try reviewing this thread from a fellow shipmate who recently posted.....

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,25958.0.html

there is a lot of advice if you just use the search function,,,, if you want specific advice, i would reccomend to you that you ask specific questions that you can not find the answers too.......

many here are willing to help, but also want to see you show some initiative by researching first.

Just got done reading.  Definitely some great info and advice on that thread.

As for the search so far, first thing I did was pay a resume writing service to do my resume...$350...but I figured that if I was gonna splurge on something it might as well be something for my future.  I live in the New Orleans area so I already applied with Entergy, and I don't mind moving so I applied with TVA as well.

So the recruiting services aren't the best way to go?  I have an idea of locations and types of positions I would like, but at this point I'm considering anything.

Really appreciate the feedback guys...please keep it coming.

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,14261.0.html

I see what you're saying now about the recruiters.

JustinHEMI05

I keep a resume floating on Monster.com just to see what comes in (you never know!), and recently, one of the recruiters you mentioned called me with an exciting opportunity! He ignored the fact that I had an SRO license and wanted to use my military experience to oversee, and I kid you not, what boiled down to ditch diggers. Obama shovel jobs, I suppose. I just had to take a tiny pay cut, starting at 48K/yr!

So yeah, ditch the recruiters. ;D

co60slr

I just had to take a tiny pay cut, starting at 48K/yr!

In 2005, Lucas sat down with Nuke Officers at a popular Navy Base and explained that the Nuclear Industry wasn't that hot and they would likely have to settle for the $70K/year jobs.  Anyone that believes that without doing research deserves to shovel ditches after the Navy.  ;-)

To the OP:  Whatever salary range you were "talked in to" will be EXACTLY what you're called about.   No negotiation...and if you try, they'll get mad.  They will find interesting non-nuclear jobs...just use the recruiting tool you've asked for help to YOUR needs (not theirs).

Edit after DSO's posting....(thank you).
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2010, 04:52 by Co60Slr »

DSO

Recruiters were worthless. Use the following link to view all investor owned utilities. You can chose what utilities/areas you want to apply to:

http://www.eei.org/whoweare/ourmembers/USElectricCompanies/Pages/USMemberCoLinks.aspx
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2010, 03:53 by DSO »

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
Update since last post.  I had applied for 3 positions at the same plant, a Sr Instructor, Electrician(nuclear), and Technician(nuclear).  I was a non-select for the instructor position, didn't surprise me, I'm not finished with my degree yet, but figured I would try anyways considering thats what I would love to do.  My application is under hiring manager review for the other two positions.

The wed before new years I went and took the MASS exam, hopefully I did well.  4 sections, 2 of which I didn't fully complete because I ran out of time, but I still think I did pretty good.  I'm suppose to have my results this Wednesday.

Cycoticpenguin

Update since last post.  I had applied for 3 positions at the same plant, a Sr Instructor, Electrician(nuclear), and Technician(nuclear).  I was a non-select for the instructor position, didn't surprise me, I'm not finished with my degree yet, but figured I would try anyways considering thats what I would love to do.  My application is under hiring manager review for the other two positions.

The wed before new years I went and took the MASS exam, hopefully I did well.  4 sections, 2 of which I didn't fully complete because I ran out of time, but I still think I did pretty good.  I'm suppose to have my results this Wednesday.
I didnt finish the MASS either, but I passed. Good luck on your endevours dude.

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
I didnt finish the MASS either, but I passed. Good luck on your endevours dude.

Thanks man, appreciate it.  I actually got the results shortly after posting that last.  Passed and received a "Recommended"...so now my applications sit under Hiring Manager Review...

I really just want to get my foot in the door and go from there.

Cycoticpenguin

Thanks man, appreciate it.  I actually got the results shortly after posting that last.  Passed and received a "Recommended"...so now my applications sit under Hiring Manager Review...

I really just want to get my foot in the door and go from there.

:) I hear ya! Im assuming with the "Hiring manager review" comment you are applying to an entergy plant. I've been working for them for a whopping week, but Im getting good vibes :) Hope all goes well!

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
Yep, Waterford.  Thats what I'm goin for.

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
Interview tomorrow.  Nervous but excited.
I've read a lot on interviewing techniques, and other feedback on interview does and don'ts.  I made copies of all my evals, academic evaluation, smart transcripts, VMET (Verification of Military Experience and Training).  I plan on going in there and talking about why I would be good for the company, strengths and weaknesses, 5 year / 10 year goals.
I'm going to try to get as much out of this as I can.

Thanks you everybody on the forum for your feedback and advise.

Wish me luck.

JustinHEMI05

Good luck!

TIP; When they say "So tell me about yourself" they don't want to hear about your kids, your dog or hobbies. They want to hear why you would be a good fit for the position you are interviewing for.

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
Good luck!

TIP; When they say "So tell me about yourself" they don't want to hear about your kids, your dog or hobbies. They want to hear why you would be a good fit for the position you are interviewing for.

LOL....Gotcha...seems I read that somewhere.

Thanks

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
Interview done....
My feeling was that it went fairly well.

I can't thank everybody on here enough for all the info.  The first thing they asked me when I walked in was "Have you ever done a behavioral type interview?" 

From there it was anything and everything I expected it to be...
"Tell me about a time when _______."
"Was there ever an instance when______."

The only downside was that they need positions filled within the next couple months because they have an outage coming up.  However, I'm not going to be available to start until late May early June.  But I got the impression that they liked me.

So again thank you all.

Cycoticpenguin

Interview done....
My feeling was that it went fairly well.

I can't thank everybody on here enough for all the info.  The first thing they asked me when I walked in was "Have you ever done a behavioral type interview?" 

From there it was anything and everything I expected it to be...
"Tell me about a time when _______."
"Was there ever an instance when______."

The only downside was that they need positions filled within the next couple months because they have an outage coming up.  However, I'm not going to be available to start until late May early June.  But I got the impression that they liked me.

So again thank you all.

good! Hopefully they wont be too angst against you starting later then sooner! Hope everything goes according to plan. dont be shy about looking at other plants too :D

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
4 and a half months left and counting.
I'm hoping to fill a spot in the upcoming NLO class.  Like I had previously stated, I interviewed for the maintenance position but because the positions needed to be filled sooner rather than later, it really wasn't a good fit for them.  But I was recommended to the operations dept, so I am taking the POSS on Monday.
I've been taking the advise of research I've done on here and went and got an ASVAB study guide, using the EEI practice tests, and basically refreshing on my conversions and basic algebra.

So again thank you to everyone that contributes on here.  This forum is an awesome resource, I have recommended it to many people already.

I'll let y'all know how it goes in a couple days.

Cycoticpenguin

4 and a half months left and counting.
I'm hoping to fill a spot in the upcoming NLO class.  Like I had previously stated, I interviewed for the maintenance position but because the positions needed to be filled sooner rather than later, it really wasn't a good fit for them.  But I was recommended to the operations dept, so I am taking the POSS on Monday.
I've been taking the advise of research I've done on here and went and got an ASVAB study guide, using the EEI practice tests, and basically refreshing on my conversions and basic algebra.

So again thank you to everyone that contributes on here.  This forum is an awesome resource, I have recommended it to many people already.

I'll let y'all know how it goes in a couple days.

good luck! Dont be upset if you dont finish the math section... I was beating myself up for a few days until I got my results. You really dont need to learn anything for this test. Spend time doing the practice sections on the time constraints they give you (be honest with yourself here!). I've said it before, no one question is hard. Literally, a 7th grade can get every question right if they have enough time to do it. For the reading part.... the answers are pretty self explanatory, and you can fish out the answers if you dont know, so dont spend too much time reading the passages (They arent trying to trick you like the SAT does).  Definitely practice the plotting and map reading part, that would be another good area to look over. Basically focus on those two alone actually. If you cant pass the other sections, you have no business in nuclear power anyway ;) (you're already here is my point!)

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
***UPDATE***

Currently in NAO class and loving it.  Everything has worked out awesome.
To all the prospective job seekers...
-Start your search early
-Do your research for resume's and interviewing
-Be humble

Good luck and thank you again to everybody on the forum for your help and info.

Offline Cleaver6

• Light User
  • Strive for perfection, but retain humility.
Grats!
Ex-Marine avionics tech; father of prospective sailor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?