Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu College Credits from Nuke Pipeline  

Author Topic: College Credits from Nuke Pipeline  (Read 25531 times)

Phylum

College Credits from Nuke Pipeline
« on: Dec 23, 2010, 10:22 »
Hey all, first time posting here. I tried searching the forums for my question and didn't come up with anything, but I hope I'm not asking something thats already been asked a bunch of times.

Anyways, I was an ELT (sub) and I'm now finishing up college. I've come to the point where I just need one more course for my major, but still need about 4 courses worth of upper level electives (can be ANY junior/senior level class). Does anybody know if any of the credits from the nuclear pipeline transfer over as upper level credits?

The only school that seems to have upper level credits on my training history is prototype, 8 credits for mechanical systems and 3 for trouble shooting. Are those really the only upper level credits that nukes can transfer over?

I realize it probably has a lot to do with the specific institution, but I was wondering if any other nukes could share how many upper level credits they were able to transfer, if any, to a normal four year state college.

co60slr

Re: College Credits from Nuke Pipeline
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:19 »
I realize it probably has a lot to do with the specific institution, .
The spectrum of success is "many" (TESC and Excelsior) to "very few" for a traditional college.   You're right...it soley depends on the University you're attending and they make the transfer rules.

The terminology varies too but usually the general education (i.e., first two years) are lower-level credits and the Nuclear Engineering equivilent classes are you upper-credit classes.   

Regardless, it's not uncommon to have to take more than we, as students "calculate".

Good luck...sounds like you're very close to the degree!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:38 »
In the 90's, I received 3 upper level Mechanical Engineering  credits (i.e, 1 class) from the University of South Carolina for my enlisted nuclear power training.  The class was EMCH 552, Intorduction to Nuclear Engineering.

If I remember right, I had to petition the College of Engineering, and wait for an approval from one of the academic commitees.  The process took several months.

Cheers,
GC

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Neutron Whisperer

• Moderate User
  • What do you bring to the table?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:48 »
Is it a good strategy to choose something like TESC to get a degree.  Then try to see what transfers at a more traditional college?  That way a degree is being considered for transfer vice specific credits.  Also, it could eliminate the filler material and the only additional courses needed would be on-topic ones.
Disclaimer: there is no "tone" to my post.

co60slr

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:00 »
Is it a good strategy to choose something like TESC to get a degree.  Then try to see what transfers at a more traditional college?  That way a degree is being considered for transfer vice specific credits.  Also, it could eliminate the filler material and the only additional courses needed would be on-topic ones.
"I think" this is a different scenario that gets you into the "how many credits do I need for a 2nd Bachelor's Degree?".  For example, I think TESC will only award 60 credits (50%) max towards a 2nd degree.   

I've been told the best strategy is to get your 4-year degree out of the way and quickly get into grad work (vice a 2nd degree), unless of course you're leaving Nuclear and need more specialization.

My $0.25.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2010, 11:36 »
"I think" this is a different scenario that gets you into the "how many credits do I need for a 2nd Bachelor's Degree?".  For example, I think TESC will only award 60 credits (50%) max towards a 2nd degree.   

I've been told the best strategy is to get your 4-year degree out of the way and quickly get into grad work (vice a 2nd degree), unless of course you're leaving Nuclear and need more specialization.

My $0.25.

The rule for a 2nd Bachelor's at TESC (at least when I started my 2nd degree early this year) is

"Students must complete a minimum of 30 additional new credits for a second bachelor's degree BEYOND the date all prior degrees were conferred.

"Students must select an option which is significantly different from their previous degree."

Offline SubSailor99

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2011, 07:53 »

My $0.25.

Not all 4-year Degrees are created equal.  A Engineering degree from a nationally accreted school carries more weight then one from a regionally accreted school (like TESC).

If you plan on getting a job as a engineer most places will only recognize a nationally accreted degree.  Your best bet would be to get a TESC degree which is really easy to do and then go get a "real" engineering degree from a "real" engineering school.  With the TESC degree you wont have to waste your time doing any of the lower divisional classes (like humanities) and instead can focus on your major and maybe do some other minor things to fill out your residency requirements (like Flight  8).  Makes life a lot easier.

to the OP: get on-line and go to your SMART transcript and there is a form you fill out to have an official SMART transcript sent to your school.  The school will evaluate it and give you any credits they seem fit.  As a side note, SIU didn't give me any upper level transfer credits from my SMART transcript and IIT only gave me 3 lower level chemistry credits.  It's pretty much a crap shoot.
My spelling is horrible, I already know this, no need to point it out.

Just because you're indispensable doesn't mean you're important

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2011, 08:11 »
Not all 4-year Degrees are created equal.  A Engineering degree from a nationally accreted school carries more weight then one from a regionally accreted school (like TESC).

If you plan on getting a job as a engineer most places will only recognize a nationally accreted degree.  Your best bet would be to get a TESC degree which is really easy to do and then go get a "real" engineering degree from a "real" engineering school.  With the TESC degree you wont have to waste your time doing any of the lower divisional classes (like humanities) and instead can focus on your major and maybe do some other minor things to fill out your residency requirements (like Flight  8).  Makes life a lot easier.

to the OP: get on-line and go to your SMART transcript and there is a form you fill out to have an official SMART transcript sent to your school.  The school will evaluate it and give you any credits they seem fit.  As a side note, SIU didn't give me any upper level transfer credits from my SMART transcript and IIT only gave me 3 lower level chemistry credits.  It's pretty much a crap shoot.

So, thats why Harvard, MIT, Yale, Kent State, most state universities/colleges, etc are regionally accreditated.... Guess they arent looked upon too well. Where are you getting your information?

I've spoken to 4 state colleges/universities, as well as TESC, so far, varied credits ranging from 15 to ~60 credits just from nuke pipeline. TESC and excelsior offer the most from my experience. My site vice president has the NET degree from TESC.

Offline SubSailor99

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2011, 09:59 »

So, thats why Harvard, MIT, Yale, Kent State, most state universities/colleges, etc are regionally accredited.... Guess they aren't looked upon too well. Where are you getting your information?

I've spoken to 4 state colleges/universities, as well as TESC, so far, varied credits ranging from 15 to ~60 credits just from nuke pipeline. TESC and excelsior offer the most from my experience. My site vice president has the NET degree from TESC.

First, you have to understand that you can have a regionally accredited school with a nationally accredited engineering program.  which Harvard and MIT both have (i got lazy about looking up the rest).  They are ABET accredited, which is a National Accreditation.

Heres where I get my info: http://www.abet.org/the_basics.shtml

you should also check out the section about why ABET accreditation is important, It will explain it way better then I can.

Second, If you actually read my post you would see that I said every school will take various amounts of credits but the quality of the credits is whats at issue here.  If the OP school gives him 60 credits of lower level free electives and he needs upper level electives, what good will that do him?  I think UIC gave me like 30 lower level elective credits but all the degrees I looked at had very few free elective spaces and they where all upper level.  so the credits from the navy would do me absolutely no good.

Finally, not really sure what your getting at with that last line about your site VP, but I can say he's not an engineer hes a manager.  two totally different jobs and minimum job requirements.  I also didn't say you couldn't get a job as an engineer with a TESC, just said a "real" engineering degree would carry more weight.
My spelling is horrible, I already know this, no need to point it out.

Just because you're indispensable doesn't mean you're important

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2011, 10:01 »
Well said SubSailor.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2011, 10:11 »
First, you have to understand that you can have a regionally accredited school with a nationally accredited engineering program.  which Harvard and MIT both have (i got lazy about looking up the rest).  They are ABET accredited, which is a National Accreditation.

you should also check out the section about why ABET accreditation is important, It will explain it way better then I can.

Second, If you actually read my post you would see that I said every school will take various amounts of credits but the quality of the credits is whats at issue here.  If the OP school gives him 60 credits of lower level free electives and he needs upper level electives, what good will that do him?  I think UIC gave me like 30 lower level elective credits but all the degrees I looked at had very few free elective spaces and they where all upper level.  so the credits from the navy would do me absolutely no good.

Finally, not really sure what your getting at with that last line about your site VP, but I can say he's not an engineer hes a manager.  two totally different jobs and minimum job requirements.  I also didn't say you couldn't get a job as an engineer with a TESC, just said a "real" engineering degree would carry more weight.

Fair enough, I read your post as "Regional Accreditation is worthless, go with the national", and good point on the "quality" aspect. I'll go back to my corner now ;)

edit: correct me if Im wrong, but I was always under the impression the regional accreditation process was more stringent and, to use justins word, "elite"?
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2011, 10:12 by Charlie Murphy »

MacGyver

« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2011, 10:43 »
First, you have to understand that you can have a regionally accredited school with a nationally accredited engineering program.  which Harvard and MIT both have (i got lazy about looking up the rest).  They are ABET accredited, which is a National Accreditation.

Second, If you actually read my post you would see that I said every school will take various amounts of credits but the quality of the credits is whats at issue here.  If the OP school gives him 60 credits of lower level free electives and he needs upper level electives, what good will that do him?  I think UIC gave me like 30 lower level elective credits but all the degrees I looked at had very few free elective spaces and they where all upper level.  so the credits from the navy would do me absolutely no good.

Finally, not really sure what your getting at with that last line about your site VP, but I can say he's not an engineer hes a manager.  two totally different jobs and minimum job requirements.  I also didn't say you couldn't get a job as an engineer with a TESC, just said a "real" engineering degree would carry more weight.

You do realize that Excelsior College (formerly New York Regents) is ABET accredited.  And, TESC is almost done with that process.

So, "WE aren't really sure what you're getting at" (sic, with spelling corrections)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2011, 10:46 »
I think what he is getting at, and he is correct, is that when someone is being considered for an engineering position, Excelsior and TESC aren't going to usually make the cut. People shouldn't be foolish and equate an ABET accredited tech degree to an engineering degree.

He is right again, in that a the VP is a manager, not an engineer... and his TESC was "earned" when it wasn't accredited.

So WE do understand what he is getting at. YMMV.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2011, 10:48 by JustinHEMI »

MacGyver

« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2011, 10:52 »
I think what he is getting at, and he is correct, is that when someone is being considered for an engineering position, Excelsior and TESC aren't going to usually make the cut. People shouldn't be foolish enough to equate an ABET accredited tech degree to an engineering degree.

I would think if you search the forum long enough or are in the business you would find or know that little nugget of information.   ::)

But, I have witnessed the Eng Tech folks working as Engineer's and I've witnessed Engineer's working in ops.  Therefore, his point is moot.  I've met Site VP's with an Associates degree and I've met Site VP's with a Master's degree.  All of them came from Ops NOT the Engineering department.  So, again it is worth mentioning, a degree is just a piece of paper you hang on the wall.

YMWV.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2011, 10:57 »
I would think if you search the forum long enough or are in the business you would find or know that little nugget of information.   ::)

But, I have witnessed the Eng Tech folks working as Engineer's and I've witnessed Engineer's working in ops.  Therefore, his point is moot.  I've met Site VP's with an Associates degree and I've met Site VP's with a Master's degree.  All of them came from Ops NOT the Engineering department.  So, again it is worth mentioning, a degree is just a piece of paper you hang on the wall.

YMWV.

I couldn't agree more, and I have witnessed the same thing. However, the point isn't moot because is most cases, what he says is true.

Justin

MacGyver

« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2011, 11:04 »

Not all 4-year Degrees are created equal. 

This is his point right?

I couldn't agree more, and I have witnessed the same thing. However, the point isn't moot because is most cases, what he says is true.

Justin

Because, from where I'm standing, his point is moot.  I have an ABET degree.  It doesn't do me any MORE good than a non-ABET degree operator.

If I was going to go to the engineering department (why would I do that?) then I might have a leg up.  Since, I am not a PE, I said might.

This industry isn't going to care what your degree is in when they are looking to send up for an Instant SRO (re: ACAD credit).  So, non-ABET degrees will get you there just like an ABET degree.

His point is moot.   :P ;D ;) :P 8)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2011, 11:05 »
This is his point right?

Because, from where I'm standing, his point is moot.  I have an ABET degree.  It doesn't do me any MORE good than a non-ABET degree operator.

If I was going to go to the engineering department (why would I do that?) then I might have a leg up.  Since, I am not a PE, I said might.

This industry isn't going to care what your degree is in when they are looking to send up for an Instant SRO (re: ACAD credit).  So, non-ABET degrees will get you there just like an ABET degree.

His point is moot.   :P ;D ;) :P 8)

I read it as regarding to engineering. So his point isn't moot.

We (I and he) weren't talking about ops.

If you really have read many posts, you would know I have said all the same things you have in the past, when they apply. But they do not apply to engineering.

On the topic of ops, then I agree.

Justin

Pman52

« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2011, 11:09 »

YMWV.

Good point.  I think it's dependent on the Hiring Manager/Head of Engineering at the specific plant you work at or are planning to work at.   I've seen Eng Tech degrees hold their weight in some engineering positions.  Unless it's directly stated on the application/requirements, most tech degrees will pass for some engineering positions.  Again, its just a piece of paper after years of experience.  But I concur, the degrees are obviously NOT the same.

Remember there are various types of engineering positions at plants that aren't as "in depth" as others.  Some are more geared towards plant/field engineering where testing/data gathering makes up a majority of the tasks (more entry level position).  Someone who works as an engineer can chime in and explain this better, but this was explained to me in a few interviews I had a while back.  If you have a 4 year degree I think you're in pretty good shape.  

I am about to complete a Mech. Engineering Tech Degree from an ABET accredited college and plan to go into OPs.

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2011, 01:36 »
There was some duplication, but for completing Navy Nuke's and the NRRPT examine Excelsior awarded me with 85 credits.  Mostly in the higher electives.  I still needed calculus 1 and 2, a couple of labs that they didn't give me, and 36  credits in the humanities i.e., English 101...

Sounds like you're pretty much on your way, but for others reading this what you can do is some Clep programs and challenge the lower elective humanities that you feel comfortable with.  This will save you a major amount of time and money in demonstrating what your life experiences have already taught you.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

andrewnavy

« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2011, 02:21 »
I cannot believe the repetitive use of the word "moot."  What do you think all of you can do with the word "obfuscate." :P  If nothing else you up the vocabulary for the class.

Offline bawb

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2011, 02:25 »
Information about the CLEP can be found at: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2011, 02:58 »
I can comment about ABET v. Non-ABET with respect to hiring in the non-nuke Engineering field. The answer is that ABET is preferred, but non-ABET, can be acceptable, depending on school. So, in essence, as long as it's not degree mill type place and is Regionally accredited, it will be acceptable.

This has changed somewhat in the last few years. Up until about 3 or 4 years ago we wouldn't accept non-ABET engineering degrees for our Engineers positions, but would accept them for our Tech positions.

In general once you graduate, it doesn't matter if you went to University of Washington or MIT, or Podunk U. The 'sheep skin' is what matters. Even then it's just to get you in the door. You can have a guy with an MIT degree, but if he's not otherwise qualified for the job... circular file. I've hired for a number of positions in my company. I've had guys with degrees from Ivy League schools apply, and rejected them just as fast. Don't have the skills needed for the job, that fancy schmancy Ivy League diploma isn't going to pull you out. It's not even a tie breaker really.

A diploma isn't a meal ticket, it's just a qualifier to get you in the door. I really wish more people would understand that.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

MacGyver

« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2011, 03:17 »
I cannot believe the repetitive use of the word "moot."  What do you think all of you can do with the word "obfuscate." :P  If nothing else you up the vocabulary for the class.

Okay, this post below DOES NOT "obfuscate" the point.

I can comment about ABET v. Non-ABET with respect to hiring in the non-nuke Engineering field. The answer is that ABET is preferred, but non-ABET, can be acceptable, depending on school. So, in essence, as long as it's not degree mill type place and is Regionally accredited, it will be acceptable.

This has changed somewhat in the last few years. Up until about 3 or 4 years ago we wouldn't accept non-ABET engineering degrees for our Engineers positions, but would accept them for our Tech positions.

In general once you graduate, it doesn't matter if you went to University of Washington or MIT, or Podunk U. The 'sheep skin' is what matters. Even then it's just to get you in the door. You can have a guy with an MIT degree, but if he's not otherwise qualified for the job... circular file. I've hired for a number of positions in my company. I've had guys with degrees from Ivy League schools apply, and rejected them just as fast. Don't have the skills needed for the job, that fancy schmancy Ivy League diploma isn't going to pull you out. It's not even a tie breaker really.

A diploma isn't a meal ticket, it's just a qualifier to get you in the door. I really wish more people would understand that.

What he said.   +K [clap]

Pman52

« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2011, 03:48 »

What he said.   +K [clap]

X2...everything I've been told is on track with playswithairplanes post related to degrees etc.  +K

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2011, 08:45 »
No one suggested that a diploma was anything but a piece of paper to get you in the door. Key word in what he posted was "non-nuke engineering" and he still qualified his remarks with "preferred" and "depending on school."

Good luck landing an engineering job at a nuke plant with a tech degree. ;)

As for the rest of his remarks, I agree, the school doesn't matter in the end. We all have anecdotal evidence of that... which is really irrelevant in the end.

Justin
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2011, 08:47 by JustinHEMI »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?