Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Capital Gains

Author Topic: Capital Gains  (Read 11128 times)

Specterx96

Capital Gains
« on: Dec 25, 2010, 01:47 »
This may need to go in the navy nuke section, but it is a tax question:
How do the new capital gains laws starting next year apply to navy re-enlistment bonuses? Is it the full 55% for a 65,000-100,000$ bonus or just the straight 20% like other bonuses under 25,000$?
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2010, 01:48 by Specterx96 »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Capital Gains
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:32 »
In the United States, we put our Dollar Signs on the left.  You have obviously spent too much time over seas.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:56 »
How do the new capital gains laws starting next year apply to navy re-enlistment bonuses? Is it the full 55% for a 65,000-100,000$ bonus or just the straight 20% like other bonuses under 25,000$?

It doesn't effect bonuses, as bonuses are not capital gains.  ::)

It is reported in the wages block of your W-2, so you pay taxes on it based on your marginal tax rate, just like all other earned income.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline traveltax

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:12 »

Gamecock is correct- bonuses are wages, not investment gains

Joseph Smith EA/MS Tax
Enrolled Agent, Admitted to Practice Before the IRS
TravelTax TravelTax Canada
www.traveltax.com info@traveltax.com

M1dn1gh7

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:34 »
I have a question on a similar note, does anyone know if we get the taxes paid from bonuses? I keep hearing mixed information and I get no help from CFC's.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:51 »
I have a question on a similar note, does anyone know if we get the taxes paid from bonuses? I keep hearing mixed information and I get no help from CFC's.

Unless you got your bonus awarded to you in a tax free zone, you are required to pay taxes on it at your marginal tax rate.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline traveltax

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:59 »

Let me rephrase your question and tell me if I am wrong:
"Will the payroll agent/company withhold tax on my bonus?"

Ultimately, that is a agent/employer determination (normally, they are required too for US employers, but I do not know where this employer is based) Assuming this is your question, the withholding or amounts taken from the bonuses are not THE tax payment- they are estimated withholding payments. The actual tax owed is based on the rest of your income and gains for the year - the "marginal tax" of each additional $ earned, as Gamecock mentioned.
Joseph Smith EA/MS Tax
Enrolled Agent, Admitted to Practice Before the IRS
TravelTax TravelTax Canada
www.traveltax.com info@traveltax.com

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:22 »

yes, they take your taxes out of your bonus before you receive it.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:01 »
yes, they take your taxes out of your bonus before you receive it.

See post #6 from the tax professional!  :)
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:32 »
See post #6 from the tax professional!  :)

He was ambiguous in his answer, relating it to individual companies discretion. I was merely augmenting his answer with an affirmation, that yes, bonus's get taxed before you receive them.

M1dn1gh7

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:39 »
thanks again everyone!
I am definitely looking forward to my tax return then. you guys all rock!

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:59 »

TSP! 100% your bonus, you won't have to worry about the tax laws and you won't see it for 40 years!

-this was a joke and I am not even sure if this true...

someone fix me.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:20 »
TSP 100%???  Consider your cash needs and marginal tax rate for the year you get your bonus.  Depending on what time of the year you get the bonus, remember there may be another installment to come.  Also, the penalty for pulling from your TSP too early because you really can get by without it is 10% plus you will then have to pay tax on what you pull unless you meet a special exception.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:12 »
Yes, you can put 100% of your bonus into TSP, as long as you set it up before you get it. Another option is to reup in a tax free zone, then get the whole thing without taxes.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:55 »
Yes, you can put 100% of your bonus into TSP, as long as you set it up before you get it. Another option is to reup in a tax free zone, then get the whole thing without taxes.

This cost benefit analysis needs to be factored in with a couple things

1) time in rate
2) money lost from not having BAH
3) "benefits" of being an E-5

1 year of BAH in norfolk is around 19,000 a year, tax free. Time in rate is worth gold as well.

My point is, yes, 60,000 tax free looks great, but if you are missing 20K from BAH, whats the point?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?