Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu College grad looking for remediation career
honeypot

Author Topic: College grad looking for remediation career  (Read 9420 times)

remediator

College grad looking for remediation career
« on: Dec 28, 2010, 03:29 »
I recently received my B.S. in civil engineering, and managed to do so without having any clue as to how I wanted to use it. For my senior design project, I was charged with designing (as thoroughly as possible) a cleanup process for a hypothetical nuclear-waste site. I spent my last semester learning a great deal about hazardous waste regulations and disposal processes.

It wasn't until several months after graduation that I realized (rather suddenly, I might add) that nuclear waste cleanup is what I really want to do with my life. I cannot think of a better way to stretch out what influence I have in this lifetime than to help turn permanently unusable land back to its original and safe state.

Currently I am a "temporary nomad," quite willing to take almost any job, almost anywhere in the country so long as it is a step in the right direction. Starting wages are honestly not a big factor. Since my "epiphany," I cannot picture myself doing anything else for a living and I know it will not take me long to prove my worth once I find a place to start.

I would love to hear any advice that you nuclear veterans might have for me, and would love even more if you're reading this and have an actual opportunity in mind! I am ready, willing, and able to start working my butt off the moment I hear the words "You're Hired."

remediator

Re: College grad looking for remediation career
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:35 »
Of course, at this point, you're not experienced enough to have learned that yet.

I appreciate your feedback and interest in my situation. I don't think anyone who has done any remediation research has delusions of removing "every atom" from any piece of land, but that doesn't mean that the land is not significantly safer than before remediation. Hyperbole like that makes it sound like you think that I am not only inexperienced, but also ignorant.

Still, I look forward to hearing genuine advice from anyone, including you, who has some to offer.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:42 »
Hyperbole like that makes it sound like you think that I am not only inexperienced, but also ignorant.

Show some respect, and hush while the man is talking!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:54 »
Apparently we will not see this senior design project...

Oh, you know, nothing special...some grading here, a couple french drains, a Troxler gauge or two, and swarms of office people in trailers ;)

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:13 »
I appreciate your feedback and interest in my situation. I don't think anyone who has done any remediation research has delusions of removing "every atom" from any piece of land, but that doesn't mean that the land is not significantly safer than before remediation. Hyperbole like that makes it sound like you think that I am not only inexperienced, but also ignorant.

Still, I look forward to hearing genuine advice from anyone, including you, who has some to offer.
Ouch!  You just dissed one of the most experienced remediation engineers on this site!  I'm glad I read his response to you.  He was alot kinder than I would have been.  Bad, bad boy!! -K
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Buddy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:15 »
As for opportunity,....check your PM's.

:-\    

Buddy

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:03 »
umm....yeah very possible lloyd and the OP are the same person. Just a thought.   [BH]

remediator

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:29 »
Ouch!  You just dissed one of the most experienced remediation engineers on this site!  I'm glad I read his response to you.  He was alot kinder than I would have been.  Bad, bad boy!! -K

I did not "diss" Marssim, but I did not come here looking for lectures on ignorance vs inexperience or upturned noses, either.  It's true that everyone has to start somewhere, and that starting point is precisely what I'm hoping to find. I have a lot of respect for anyone who devotes their life to causes like environmental remediation, but I wouldn't consider myself a "tree-hugger." The idea of preventing illnesses as far into the future as one can imagine is what appeals to me. I am a Humanist, I suppose.

I also did not come here to defend my intelligence or ambition to people who, for all I know, spend all day on this forum making sure that everyone else knows how smart they are. I won't be posting my senior design project so that it might be picked to pieces by people who are far more experienced than myself in the matter.

I assume that many of you will continue to fan out your intellectual feathers on this posting, but STILL I hold out hope that something good might come of this, cynics be damned.

And Marssim, if you really are someone of mention in the world of environmental remediation (which your lovely jargon persuades me to believe that you might be), I suppose it might me in my best interest to suck up to you in some manner. I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:03 »
I did not "diss" Marssim, but I did not come here looking for lectures on ignorance vs inexperience or upturned noses, either.  It's true that everyone has to start somewhere, and that starting point is precisely what I'm hoping to find. I have a lot of respect for anyone who devotes their life to causes like environmental remediation, but I wouldn't consider myself a "tree-hugger." The idea of preventing illnesses as far into the future as one can imagine is what appeals to me. I am a Humanist, I suppose.

I also did not come here to defend my intelligence or ambition to people who, for all I know, spend all day on this forum making sure that everyone else knows how smart they are. I won't be posting my senior design project so that it might be picked to pieces by people who are far more experienced than myself in the matter.

I assume that many of you will continue to fan out your intellectual feathers on this posting, but STILL I hold out hope that something good might come of this, cynics be damned.

And Marssim, if you really are someone of mention in the world of environmental remediation (which your lovely jargon persuades me to believe that you might be), I suppose it might me in my best interest to suck up to you in some manner. I look forward to hearing from you.
If I know Marssim, he's already sent a PM.  Take a deep breath and count to a hundred and go to bed.  Re-read Marssim's first reply and try looking at it with a humble heart.  If you can keep your ego in check, you're sure to realize he wasn't trying to disrespect you, just offering his views.  Just be great-full BZ hasn't gotten into the act.  I found that if I approached those with more experience/education with a humble attitude, they've been extremely helpful. Whenever I've tried to impress on the boards, I've been slapped.  I appreciate your response in which I'm quoting.  Starts a little boastful but ends with more humility.  I'll take back my smite. 
Marssim, I start on the 24th!!
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.

remediator

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:49 »
I am a novice in the world of internet forums, and naturally a bit defensive, I suppose. It felt a little like I was a high school freshman getting picked on by the seniors. The "claws" are in and I readily admit that I have more to learn about the field than I even realize. I don't know how much I don't know, but I can't wait to start learning it.

Also, I apologize for the "suck up" comment. It was bad taste.

Lastly... what kind of beer?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:22 »
umm....yeah very possible lloyd and the OP are the same person. Just a thought.   [BH]

Nope, not that Marssim cares  ;D but they're not.  

4. Please learn to be respectful, tolerate and support each other.  NukeWorker.com's goal is to help others, not see how many people we can annoy. Do not initiate arguments or tension. This will only cause the triggering of other members and make this site less professional.

Yes this does go both ways (both the OP and all y'all who've responded) but just as in real life those who have been here longer obviously bear more responsibility to remember our ultimate goal is to HELP, not just prove we can make a smartass remark and see how quickly we can tweak the "new guy".  If y'all are done with that little exercise how about proving that you're not just bored adults (using that term real loosely) with too much time on your hands and help a person out instead of trying to see how quickly you can kill someones enthusiasm?  

Sorry to be a buzz kill but sometimes we all (me too) need the reminder.

Remediator did the adult thing, what say we follow huh?

Thanks in advance for understanding.  (and if ya don't feel free to PM me)

Tom

P.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2010, 01:31 »
Part of this site is designed to. Make you understand humility, and learn you have limitations. Some are obviously more harsh then others.

The point is, you have no real background or understanding of the system (neither do I for. that matter), and fofortune500 companies are investing millions on it. You cam off as some messiah for mother earth who will single handedly solve this problem. Possible? Sure. Likely? No. You are barking the right tree with the wrong tone. Ask around for waste management folk on how to get in vice your initial technique.

Good on ya though. Id poke around finding other firms or engineers. Most of this site is radcon and operation with a splash of engineering on it from what I can gather.

stownsend

« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:23 »
Apology accepted, comment forgotten.

Winter Lager from those guys over in Boston, who also happen to be the largest American owned brewery.

8)
Also home of Marssim's favorite baseball team.He's a die hard RedSox fan.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:59 »
Also home of Marssim's favorite baseball team.He's a die hard RedSox fan.
Ouch, that's going to hurt!! +K +K [whistle]
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?