Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Mark Whitesell

Author Topic: Mark Whitesell  (Read 7890 times)

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Mark Whitesell
« on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:31 »
Just heard through the grapevine that Mark Whitesell passed away this past September 21. Mark had been out of the industry the last 15 or so years due to an injury but was one hell of an HP back in the day. He could whip out the most detailed survey you ever saw before most techs had their name and date written down. He was one of the original techs in the late 70's from the RAD Services, Apollo, PA connection. He knew his stuff but didn't take himself too seriously, had a great sense of humor, and loved pulling off big pranks. I've always missed working with him.

In the late 80's at an unnamed outage in PA, every morning during the POD (and I mean every morning), right on cue down to the minute, someone would come on over the PAX and yell, "C-a-w, C-a-w, C-a-w....B-I-R-D-M-A-N!!!"  The whole room would bust out laughing but it drove mgmt nuts. They never did figure out who the Birdman was.

Rest in peace, Mark, rest in peace.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
Re: Mark Whitesell
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:23 »
Well, Dang!  I had lots of good times with Mark and always enjoyed his presence on site.  Things would not be boring! 
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline hatchling2002

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:00 »
I knew Mark years ago and far away. Always loved working with him. He was a great guy and a great tech. Things were never be boring if he was around. The stories I could tell of his time in the deep south. Rest in peace Mark, my thoughts are with the family and friends, another good one is gone.

ISOCS

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2010, 06:48 »
I'm stunned. I worked with Mark at Beaver and Limerick. Every once in a while I think back to the old days and when Mark pops into my thoughts I always smile. He will always be remembered in a good way.
ISOCS

Offline cjhunter

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:03 »
I worked with Mark back in the 80's at Hatch.....Always made me have a smile on my face.....Quite the humor he had!!!!! He will be missed...Rest in peace Mark....

Offline leroygm

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:06 »
I havent seen him in 20 years but I laughed my butt off remembering him, we pulled some big pranks together...........

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:21 »
I havent seen him in 20 years but I laughed my butt off remembering him, we pulled some big pranks together...........
I did an outage with him in the summer of '90 at Yankee Rowe. For all who remember the Rowe they did outages a little different...9 hr shifts 13 days in a row (no pun intended). Anyway, I worked swings and Mark was on graves. Soon after the outage started every afternoon when I came on I could not find my dosimetry where I'd left it. It was in a different spot on the board every day, and it was a big board. Well one night Mark gave me that s**t eating grin of his during turnover and a light went on. My pal Mark had made me his mark...and it was game on...

We got so good at hiding each others' dosimetry that we were getting in later and later to the plant. They finally put out a bulletin about "tampering with dosimetry...". Ah, the good 'ol days...

Offline Whitesell

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2011, 02:44 »
For one reason or another I googled my father today as I was thinking about this time last year.  I am so thankful I did and had the chance to read some of the stories you have posted.  All of the stories are true and he was one of the master pranksters out there.  I remember Snowman (Todd if I remember correctly) and the trouble the two of you have caused over the years.  I may even have a picture or two from the "Good ole days". 

Thank you for keeping my dad in your memories and I am always up for a good story should you have a few to share.

CAW CAW!!!

Corey Whitesell

Offline Laning

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2011, 06:42 »
Sorry for your loss Corey, I hadn't seen him in years but he's one of those guys that made a very positive mark on me. I only worked one outage with him back in 90 at Yankee Rowe. He was my Lead Tech on midnights and really great to work with. As Snowman says, he was truly a survey machine..impeccable detail. I learned quite a bit from him about being a professional. Yes, he was a legendary prankster but he treated his job as a profession and thats what I remember most about him....that and laughing until my stomach hurt!

What's up Todd? I hope you're doing well.

Eric

If you're gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?