Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Finding the right job after the Navy? honeypot

Author Topic: Finding the right job after the Navy?  (Read 8317 times)

Offline Raisesomehell

• Very Lite User
Finding the right job after the Navy?
« on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:08 »
Hello everyone,
I have been coming to this site a lot over the past few months, but I haven't really been able to find what I was looking for, so I decided to register and ask. I still have a few years to go on my enlistment, but I am leaning heavily on getting out when my time comes. I have been looking for jobs to see what I want to do when I get out, but unfortunately I haven't been able to browse jobs too easily. Is there anything out there where I can just casually browse through and read descriptions of jobs?
Thanks for taking the time and reading this!

JustinHEMI05

Re: Finding the right job after the Navy?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:59 »
6 and outer?

Offline Raisesomehell

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:39 »
It would seem 6 and out is for me, but I still have plenty of time to change my mind. Thank you for the link! it was very helpful!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:46 »

Get your computer savvy shipmates to get you up to speed on how to search across the internet. It's a skill that can make your life easier, your work and private life more efficient and can mean the difference between getting the job, house, car, insurance rate, set of tires or whatever that's best for you, or watching someone else get it.

Seems to me that you should conduct seminars on internet searching.  I am confident that you could find anything, in less then 5 minutes ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2011, 08:47 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2011, 12:45 »
It would seem 6 and out is for me, but I still have plenty of time to change my mind. Thank you for the link! it was very helpful!

You can go to all the utilities job sites to see what jobs are posted, and read their descriptions.

For example, https://exelonjobs.ceco.com/psc/HRPC_TAM/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?FolderPath=PORTAL_ROOT_OBJECT.HC_HRS_CE_GBL2&IsFolder=false&IgnoreParamTempl=FolderPath&

All utilities and corporations have a job site, you just have to find them. That is where google becomes useful.

As for being 6 and out, if you are looking into nuclear power, you should be looking for non-licensed operator jobs, sometimes called aux unit operator, aux operator, equipment operator, etc. Also, maintenance tech and entry level RP jobs are possibilities as well.

Good luck.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:02 »
I hate to be a negative nancy, but you have other priorities right now. "few years"? Im assuming you are around 3 years in? Fresh on the boat, worry about your divisional duties right now man. when you decide on whether or not you are going to stick around is when i would be worrying about your career outside the navy.  Sure its good to do research, but a "few years" is a long time to look around. things change. guy on my boat had his wife leave him, and he reenlisted a week before his contract ended!!!! (mind blown personally).  Keep it all in perspective.    Good luck and thanks for joining.

Buddy

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:04 »
Indeed.com is a search engine for jobs. Just type in "nuclear operator" or some bullspit like that and you should get some of results.

Good luck!

co60slr

« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:00 »
1.  Qualify EWS/EOOW.
2.  Get your degree.
3.  Start networking. 

Find out what the guys before you have done.  Unless you bring an extraordinary skill set back to the civilian world, you're likely not going to "reinvent the wheel" on what your peers have done before you.  Your job search is going to involve 2 of the 3 above at least.

You're in an absolute perfect situation..."a few years out".   You have time to build content into your resume before you have to write it.  THAT is the most important thing for you now.   Do NOT give up at this point.   Continue giving 110% and keep looking for ways to develop your supervisory skills into something you can market!

tselby

« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:29 »
try this link,,,, it will link you to over 80% of the nuclear companies websites and from there you can find their job postings

http://www.nucleartourist.com/us/address.htm

Good luck and thank you for your service

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:58 »
1.  Qualify EWS/EOOW.

You're in an absolute perfect situation..."a few years out".   You have time to build content into your resume before you have to write it.  THAT is the most important thing for you now.   Do NOT give up at this point.   Continue giving 110% and keep looking for ways to develop your supervisory skills into something you can market!

6 and outer will have  a difficult time getting into EWS quals, much less accrue any serious marketable management skills. WCS, SIR, ALPO, QAS, Planner... I feel I wasted my time and should have gotten my degree. THAT is definitely feasible, and what I would recommend for a serious 6 and out kinda guy.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2011, 11:03 »
It's innate,..... :P :P :P :P :) ;) ;) 8) 8) 8) [dowave]

now THAT felt gud,........

(sic),..... 8)

Leadership AND Internet Search is INNATE!

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:02 »

ROFL  I love it.

I know it is off subject but I wish I could read me some books and become INNATE!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2011, 12:15 »

"Internet Search" is for born Followers, because it's something Leaders tell you to do, and you are looking for someone else's posted information.

Sounds like someone here is an INNATE Follower ;)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:52 »
"Internet Search" is for born Followers, because it's something Leaders tell you to do, and you are looking for someone else's posted information.

Sounds like someone here is an INNATE Follower ;)

"All hands brace for shock"     .... brb gotta get my popcorn ready ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?