Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke RTC Physical?

Author Topic: Nuke RTC Physical?  (Read 9971 times)

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
Nuke RTC Physical?
« on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:51 »
Hi all,

I've tried searching for this, but was unable to find any threads about it...

I've read that prospective nuclear field recruits undergo a separate physical during RTC. Are there any recent RTC grads that remember what the physical consisted of? I'm not trying to hide anything, I'm simply curious about what it entails. I ship in 2 weeks and I'm getting pretty anxious :) haha.

Grads from earlier classes of RTC (earlier in the 2000s, 90s, etc) are welcome to share their experience, too, if you remember.

Thanks in advance :)

-aschaefer

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: Nuke RTC Physical?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:55 »
I went to boot camp in December '02, and the only part of the physical that I remember that was not part of the "general wellness" inspection, was the color perception test.  Specifically being able to distinguish between a green, red, and white light.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:28 »
I went to boot camp in December '02, and the only part of the physical that I remember that was not part of the "general wellness" inspection, was the color perception test.  Specifically being able to distinguish between a green, red, and white light.

Thanks for the reply. My buddy (just qualified at prototype) said the same thing, and said they draw a couple extra vials of blood, but that's about it. Was just looking for other angles because he didn't remember too well either.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:34 »
Thanks for the reply. My buddy (just qualified at prototype) said the same thing, and said they draw a couple extra vials of blood, but that's about it. Was just looking for other angles because he didn't remember too well either.

probably a Chem 24 panel for pre-zoomie exposure baseline.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:37 »

typical nuke physicals are just a little more in depth. I spent 5 months at boot camp for physicals and re doing my paperwork that they lost -.- I had to see 3 neurologists several times, did different studies, basically they spent a good chunk of money just getting me in.

From the normal "special phsyicals" towards the end of boot camp, you and your nuke, submariner, seal, and EOD buddies will get in a line and march to medical. there you will do some more screening, take a blood sample, and if all is well, you are on your way.  You will hug the pig in power school.

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2011, 03:10 »
typical nuke physicals are just a little more in depth. I spent 5 months at boot camp for physicals and re doing my paperwork that they lost -.- I had to see 3 neurologists several times, did different studies, basically they spent a good chunk of money just getting me in.

From the normal "special phsyicals" towards the end of boot camp, you and your nuke, submariner, seal, and EOD buddies will get in a line and march to medical. there you will do some more screening, take a blood sample, and if all is well, you are on your way.  You will hug the pig in power school.

If you don't mine me asking...

1) Are you serious about having to have spent 3 extra months at boot to re-do physicals and paperwork? That seems crazy, haha. Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not

2)I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "a little more in depth," specifically what it is further than the sort of things we did at MEPS (duck walk, interview with a doctor, etc)

3) Hug the pig? I guess that's one of those thing's I'll just learn on my own ;).

HD: You mean it's just a chemical test for a radiation exposure baseline? Just wanted to make sure I'm interpreting "pre-zoomie" the correct way, haha.

Thanks guys!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2011, 03:37 »
Specific cell type counts and chemistry.

co60slr

« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:55 »
2)I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "a little more in depth," specifically what it is further than the sort of things we did at MEPS (duck walk, interview with a doctor, etc)

3) Hug the pig? I guess that's one of those thing's I'll just learn on my own ;).

HD: You mean it's just a chemical test for a radiation exposure baseline? Just wanted to make sure I'm interpreting "pre-zoomie" the correct way, haha.

While I'm never known to not read too much into a NW posting (so forgive me here), but you sound worried.

The DOD has military physical requirements (i.e, MEPs).  Before you're qualified to receive occupational dose (>100 mrem/year), you need an "addendum" to your physical.

Security clearances and physicals are never-ending.  While you have to get through each initially to get into the NNPP, you'll have to periodically redo the same.  The life of a nuke is filled with questions, exams, investigations, critiques, assessments, more exams, medical physicals, more security investigations, etc.  You have to quickly get used to being placed under a microscope.  That is the price for participating in a highly technical career.  Military, commercial nuclear...no difference.

"Hug the pig" is a chest scan for radioactivity.  You have to basically sit and "hug" the detector for several minutes as the device counts any radioactive emissions from your chest.   Yes, baseline at first but also to periodically verify that you're not receiving any airborne radioactivity.  Mine never changed in 20+ years.

Just go with the flow at RTC and don't worry about it beforehand.  Your physical exam is one exam you can't really study for.

Good luck!

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2011, 03:13 »
Just go with the flow at RTC and don't worry about it beforehand. 
...Some advice that I'll be sure to follow. I guess you nailed me dead-to-rights, I am a little bit worried (but about what, I don't know..haha). I guess it's just pre-shipping nervousness, and the fact that I usually like to know everything about anything that I'm getting myself into. Especially for something that's as big of a deal as joining the navy.

degraaf.8

« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2011, 03:51 »
Yea I definately know what you are talking about when you say that you like to know everything about everything. And as for the whole pre-shipping nervousness yea I hate it. I have not been sick in the past year and a half and now have been sick twice in the past month. But anyways I can't think of anything else that they would do that would change from the stereotypical physical besides what HydroDave said. I ship next tuesday! Good Luck with everything!

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:00 »
Yea I definately know what you are talking about when you say that you like to know everything about everything. And as for the whole pre-shipping nervousness yea I hate it. I have not been sick in the past year and a half and now have been sick twice in the past month. But anyways I can't think of anything else that they would do that would change from the stereotypical physical besides what HydroDave said. I ship next tuesday! Good Luck with everything!

Maybe I'll see you there, or down in Charleston (I ship the 18th)

Good luck!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:53 »
If you don't mine me asking...

1) Are you serious about having to have spent 3 extra months at boot to re-do physicals and paperwork? That seems crazy, haha. Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not

1) Dead serious unfortunately. It wasnt too bad, after you graduate you are a "sailor" and generally treated as such. I was able to go to chicago on weekends, and my cheif actually let me take special liberty on a friday and come back monday to visit family ( i lived 3 hours away).

3) haha yes :D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?