Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Medical coverage???

Author Topic: Medical coverage???  (Read 6080 times)

nuclear2010

Medical coverage???
« on: Jan 03, 2011, 03:56 »
Hello everyone!  Has anyone dealt with trying to get medical coverage in betweem voluntary separation
from the military and your new job??? We thought we'd have coverage for 90 days after separation but that is only for involuntary separation, medical discharge, purple heart, and 2 others....We've been getting quotes but they are pretty expensive.  Tricare standard wants $700 per month for 2 adults, non smokers.  We just don't want to take the risk of heaven forbid something happening....Any thoughts for those that have been throught this before????

Offline Homer S.

• Light User
Re: Medical coverage???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:56 »
If it's short term try Assurant Health.  It's not that expensive.  Also, IMO, health insurance, especially in the case of short term, is for accidents or major problems.  Don't worry about low co-pays or low deductibles.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2011, 04:58 by Homer S. »

jowlman

« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:57 »
Check on COBRA. That is what happens when you are laid off from a civilian job.

nuclear2010

« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:27 »
Thank you everyone for your response!

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:18 »
Remember you have 63 days after separation before you have to pay COBRA. If you have no claims and new insurance within 63 days you pay nothing. If something happens within 63 days you pay your $700/month (retroactive) and continue on. Hopefully you have new employer paid benefits or cheaper private coverage by then. Disclaimer; I have no idea what obama care has done to COBRA law, so verify this before you act.

Caution to BNI employees; you don't have to pay COBRA for 63 days but if you dont BNI will probably put you back on 240 days insurance probation. That's a nice little two month bonus check for them! and an up the pooper for you!

stownsend

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:52 »
I'm no expert but what about pre-existing conditions and having continuous coverage between one company to the next. I'd hate to find out I was holding the wrong end of the stick. If you waited 63 days, would this be a break in coverage? Advice is good here but it's always best to verify what you're told on your own.

nuclear2010

« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:07 »
@Redline- I will call COBRA tomorrow and verify.  That is an interesting piece of info you informed me of!  Thank you!
@Stownsend-  I will call and find out.   I have heard it is not wise to have a break in coverage either before you start with your new health insurance! 

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:54 »
Absolutely do your homework, remember the COBRA laws are to protect you the insured who loses their job so as not to lose their insurance. Almost certainly private coverage can be found much cheaper, but you must qualify, ie; no pre-existing conditions. New insurance within 63 would not be a break in coverage. I too am no expert but I've raised a disabled child to adulthood which forced me to learn the system and use it to my advantage. Any break in coverage for me within the last 25 years would have bankrupted me and there's no way any private insurance would touch me. Again do your homework...and avoid BNI insurance at any reasonable cost!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?