Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu EX Navy Nuke Need help finding job honeypot

Author Topic: EX Navy Nuke Need help finding job  (Read 32372 times)

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
EX Navy Nuke Need help finding job
« on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:10 »
I am a Navy Nuke MM/ELT qualified EWS I am currently researching jobs in the Civilian Nuclear Community. I have registered at all the power plant websites in the south east and there seems to not be any jobs for operators listed right now for application. Is there a certain time that they look to fill these positions is there a better way to contact the companies to gain employment. Any information would be very appreciated. Thank you

Offline vokeysand

• Light User
Re: EX Navy Nuke Need help finding job
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:35 »
Alot of companies had postings listed the end of Summer or beginning of Fall. I believe that is when most will do their hiring. Good luck.

co60slr

« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:49 »
I am a Navy Nuke MM/ELT qualified EWS I am currently researching jobs in the Civilian Nuclear Community. I have registered at all the power plant websites in the south east and there seems to not be any jobs for operators listed right now for application. Is there a certain time that they look to fill these positions is there a better way to contact the companies to gain employment. Any information would be very appreciated. Thank you
Don't narrow your search to an area of the country where everyone wants to work.  Expand your job search and get a better feel for what's out there.   

Here you go....first hit off Google "SRO Licensing":  http://www.nuclearjob.net/info_jobid_722.html

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:53 »
I have seen some navy nukes go operator after doing a good job at a outage as a HP.  Outage season is coming up and you can check Bartlett to see if they  have openings for senior HP's at plants you may be interested in.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:02 »
I waited six months to get hired at a plant. Keep looking daily and tough it out. Do you expect us to search jobs for you or what? If you look they will show up eventually. Patience is the name of the game here.

Good luck. Meantime, get that unemployment.

co60slr

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:21 »
I waited six months to get hired at a plant. Keep looking daily and tough it out. Do you expect us to search jobs for you or what? If you look they will show up eventually. Patience is the name of the game here.
I'd be happy to help him out.  Most people that I've spoken with over the last two years have a job landed before they separate.   If anyone hasn't gleened some job search strategy tips from NW (et al), then I'm happy to help a Navy Nuke kick off a job search.   However, he's going to have to ask a few more questions and illuminate us on what he's looking for.

If you waited 6 months to find a job, you either did something wrong or sat and waited for an opening at one plant. 

Either way, I'm not sure Nukeworker's mission is to tell a newcomer/visitor to suck it up and collect unemployment.   I didn't get that you were satisfied with that lifestyle in your earlier postings....BEFORE YOU got hired.   Right?

Knowing what you know now, you honestly would not have done anything differently but sit and wait for 6 months?

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:28 »
I am scheduled to get out in July 2011 so i am trying to start my search early i have registered at all the nuclear companies in the south east because of health issues in the family. I am a MM/ELT qualified EWS and i will have my Bachelors in science for applied nuclear technology before i depart the navy ( Just waiting on smart transcript to get updated). I havent found any job openings on any of the websites and the majority of my friends that got out said that they either just called to get in or knew someone who could help them out. Thanks to everyone that has replied i appreciate the help.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:28 »
Back in the day when I was starting my commercial hunt I had to be aggressive as I had two bad injuries and a family to keep fed.

I'll give you an old school trick. I went to the local library. I found Standard And Poors and made a list of every nuclear utility and whoever the President, CEO, CNO, and Site VP happened to be for those facilities.

Then I sent those gentlemen my cover letter and resume. Whether they look at it or not is immaterial they usually have some mechanism of routing your resume and such to HR and the plant. Because the underlings see it came from the upperling they at least look at it and by default many think he might have a vested interest in you which might at least get them looking at you.

Sad thing is, it takes some work on your part so if you want easy then that's not the way to go. I will say in 1990 I got double digit interviews and the industry was not in an upswing then.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:29 »
I am scheduled to get out in July 2011 so i am trying to start my search early i have registered at all the nuclear companies in the south east because of health issues in the family. I am a MM/ELT qualified EWS and i will have my Bachelors in science for applied nuclear technology before i depart the navy ( Just waiting on smart transcript to get updated). I havent found any job openings on any of the websites and the majority of my friends that got out said that they either just called to get in or knew someone who could help them out. Thanks to everyone that has replied i appreciate the help.

LEARN TO CAPTITALIZE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! I is a CAPITAL! Not an i!!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:48 »
LEARN TO CAPTITALIZE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! I is a CAPITAL! Not an i!!

Pot/Kettle? Doesn't the capitalization of an entire sentence constitute a violation of capitalization rules? :P

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:54 »
I was yelling so there :)

co60slr

« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:01 »
I will say in 1990 I got double digit interviews and the industry was not in an upswing then.
In one of my interviews, an Ops Mgr talked to me about this.  Specifically, back in 1990 he sent out 90 resumes, received 10 phone calls, 4 interviews, and 1 job offer.

In 2009, the numbers (at least for me) where much better.  (About 20, 10, 5).  This isn't to brag, but to illustrate that Plants are looking for "new blood".

No Internet back then BZ?   Here's a map for our young job seekers:
http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operating/map-power-reactors.html

Again, I haven't heard of anyone sitting around for 6 months....unless you're waiting on one plant to start an NLO or SRO class.   In that case, the job hunter doesn't need our help.

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:11 »
Dude in 1990 I was living in an apartment with my wife and my 2 year old son. The apartment was in California, I had two broken elbows and was effectively crippled.
Soon as it was determined I wouldn't be recoverable my Sea Pay, Pro Pay and virtually any other specialty pay were stripped from me.
Navy said since I had only one child I couldn't have a 3 Bedroom Place on base and those were the only base housing available.
We were eating Macaroni every night and my wife was washing our clothes in the sink to save money.
To afford the stamps for my letters I didn't eat for two days.
Very fortunate a Navy Captain and LCdr had no issues with me printing out my letters and resumes in the office.

Even if the net was commonly available we couldn't have afforded it.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:45 »
I'd be happy to help him out.  Most people that I've spoken with over the last two years have a job landed before they separate.   If anyone hasn't gleened some job search strategy tips from NW (et al), then I'm happy to help a Navy Nuke kick off a job search.   However, he's going to have to ask a few more questions and illuminate us on what he's looking for.

If you waited 6 months to find a job, you either did something wrong or sat and waited for an opening at one plant.  

Either way, I'm not sure Nukeworker's mission is to tell a newcomer/visitor to suck it up and collect unemployment.   I didn't get that you were satisfied with that lifestyle in your earlier postings....BEFORE YOU got hired.   Right?

Knowing what you know now, you honestly would not have done anything differently but sit and wait for 6 months?

Oh I wasn't telling him to wait just to wait. I WAS being picky about location, and ended up wasting my time. But at the same time, very very few operations positions were hiring between september through november. I applied to the job I have now in october!  Mostly I was just telling him to be patient and keep looking. I also assumed he was already out :(.  In hind sight, I should have done many things differently... but im here now and gonna do the best I can :)

Mike, holy cow man. That's some true hollywood stories man. Glad things worked out for you :)

Op - do you make the cut for direct sro or what? What kind of job are you looking for?
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2011, 03:54 by Charlie Murphy »

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:11 »
All a true story too man. The Navy finally stopped physical therapy before I could bend my elbows or turn my hands. It wasn't there fault, every ortho at the time would have done the same. I literally snapped off both my funny bones, funny bones never heal. It feels 24/7 like someone is hitting my funny bones with a hammer.

I figured out ways to teach my arms to move normally, was quite the endeavor. Now the nerves in my elbows are dying so my hands feel like they have carpal tunnel even though they don't.

Heck in the end it worked out. I've had two great jobs with two wonderful companies, still married to the same woman, my boy is graduating college this year and my rocket scientist daughter pretty much has every college in the country salivating over her. Got a lot of nice things and great friends.

Oh yeah I have you guys too  :P

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:40 »
 [GH]

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:27 »
Thank you all for the help and the grammar lesson. "I" will try not to type so fast and make sure "I" get everything correct. I have recently applied to TVA and I got a call about an interview for a chemistry position. What do you think about this job? Do I have the ability to advance to AUO, RO, SRO from there.

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:48 »
Thank you all for the help and the grammar lesson. "I" will try not to type so fast and make sure "I" get everything correct. I have recently applied to TVA and I got a call about an interview for a chemistry position. What do you think about this job? Do I have the ability to advance to AUO, RO, SRO from there.

PM me. And thank you :)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:11 »

People at work were saying terrible things about them. Do your homework! Goodluck though.

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2011, 01:51 »

People at work were saying terrible things about them. Do your homework! Goodluck though.

Saying terrible things about TVA? Why? And what would their basis be for making any type of judgment about TVA? I get angry at TVA and some of the stuff we do makes me roll my eyes but all things considered it's a hell of a good company to work for.

andrewnavy

« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2011, 03:53 »
BZ,

Your story reminds me of my grandfather telling me that he trudged through the snow uphill both ways to school. Your story on the other hand would be comparable to his if he had been walking on bloody stumps.  It is cool to see how far you and your family have come since then.  Good luck with the VA, I am already having a time with them.

Andy

Fermi2

« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:51 »
Already did the VA thing 20 Years ago. I'm in the check collecting phase :)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:03 »

Saying terrible things about TVA? Why? And what would their basis be for making any type of judgment about TVA? I get angry at TVA and some of the stuff we do makes me roll my eyes but all things considered it's a hell of a good company to work for.

I have zero basis to decipher or understand why yet. This was coming from guys with 20+ years in the biz.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:33 »

I have zero basis to decipher or understand why yet. This was coming from guys with 20+ years in the biz.

That is probably just the standard nuke grumbling.

Russtic

« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2011, 02:58 »
If you are having a hard time finding jobs available at the company websites you can try and e-mail or call the Human Resourses depatment directly and ask if they expect to have any job openings in the near future.  That's the route I went when I couldn't find any openings.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?