Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Welder, ELT, SPU

Author Topic: Welder, ELT, SPU  (Read 7685 times)

M1dn1gh7

Welder, ELT, SPU
« on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:04 »
Hello all,

I'm a MM3 who just got to off crew at Prototype. I have about 16 weeks remaining till graduation, I wanted to get a little help in deciding on my next move in my nuke path. I know that ELT and Welder schools are about the same amount of time and I always hear about the ELT program. However, i never hear anything about the welder. does anyone have any information or advice on to proceed with what i should pursue? thanks!

co60slr

Re: Welder, ELT, SPU
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:16 »
I'm a MM3 who just got to off crew at Prototype. I have about 16 weeks remaining till graduation, I wanted to get a little help in deciding on my next move in my nuke path. I know that ELT and Welder schools are about the same amount of time and I always hear about the ELT program. However, i never hear anything about the welder. does anyone have any information or advice on to proceed with what i should pursue? thanks!
I've never known anyone to touch the primary system with a welding machine.  The skillset is there for "just in case", but don't plan on ever using it except to maintain your quals.  Unlike ELT, getting the welder qual doesn't change your job title or duties.  Most of your time with it is spent practicing the "art" of welding: (Google "TIG Pipe Welding" for more) http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2734855/how_to_start_tig_pipe_welding_learning.html

If you're interested in learning more about it and are bored, then go for it.  Otherwise, it doesn't help you in the Navy.  If you're truly interested in a welding career, talk to a shipyard welder sometime when your future boat is in a maintenance period.   Weld engineering, non-destructive testing is very interesting...especially when coupled with radcon requirements.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:40 »
Alright! Another segue way for the membership to summarily cyber-execute ELTs.No need to get into a detailed explanation on the whole thing as there is already plenty out there on the subject. If any of the following sounds good to you; getting some excellent training from the Navy, greatly enhancing your Navy career, and making yourself a much more marketable candidate in the civilian job-market should/when you may decide on that, then jump on that ELT opportunity as soon as you can. I dont think it will ever add any regret to your life.Good-luck.  MM2/ELT USS Nimitz CVN-68. 1980-1984 BOHICA.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2011, 02:28 by fiveeleven »

M1dn1gh7

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:42 »
That should be your biggest clue on what decision to make,.... ;)

well now I totally feel like a window licker. lol. thanks for the input. can't wait to start my real job in the navy.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2011, 12:33 »
well now I totally feel like a window licker. lol. thanks for the input. can't wait to start my real job in the navy.

Oh man I like this kid.... sounds like someone I know.... :D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?