Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rapid Advancement

Author Topic: Rapid Advancement  (Read 16718 times)

andrewnavy

Re: Rapid Advancement
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2011, 12:19 »
In my experience, DIVOs are worthless until proven otherwise and rarely do they complete that task.  Also, they change around rather quickly.  Just tell your husband to get his fish asap so he looks no different than anyone else.  The DIVOs can be good but they are not really necessary in my experience.  Your husband will be fine but I think from what you said about him, he might  be served by growing some teeth.  Him being best friends with the cones is not going to help him back aft.

Good luck,
Andy

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2011, 12:49 »
Yeah, being a completely new guy isn't helping much either, no sea time, no time prior to deployment on the boat, no fish. It's just an upward battle but I have no doubts that he will be fine. Can't seem to make out whether his DIVO really likes him or really hates him but it's one or the other. Non Nuke E-6s are just his cup of tea, not too many Nukes he can relate to.

Well he better learn to "relate" to his peers, coworkers, companions at sea, brothers, and caretakers (oh, that's all the same person by the way) or they can make his life hell. Surface nukes are ruthless at best, I can only imagine the sub mentality. Lastly, not sure how it works on subs, but on carriers, divo's (At least the fresher ones) are pretty much there to take oxygen and convert it carbon dioxide. Not knocking them, some develop into fine Watch Officers, but they are truly some of the most inconsequential persons to a nuke. As long as he has a good cheif backing him up, he should do well.

mizzyung

« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:29 »
Although he doesn't relate well to others in his field, he usually earns their respect through his work abilities, but he just hasn't had the time on the boat to prove himself so they are all still stand-offish. hopefully they will warm up soon.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:26 »
Although he doesn't relate well to others in his field, he usually earns their respect through his work abilities, but he just hasn't had the time on the boat to prove himself so they are all still stand-offish. hopefully they will warm up soon.

Tough. Hes a first class, not just an "e-6". He needs to come ready to lead and ready to acclimate with his peers and those "below" him. How can he expect to be a good example and leader when he wont even spend time with "his own"??? Its not high school where he can pick and choose his cliques. he needs to hit the ground running and be ready to be an LPO at sea.

mizzyung

« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2011, 02:14 »
It's hard to get to know people who don't want to know you because of sour grapes...it'll be easier to relate once they warm up to him.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:57 »
It's hard to get to know people who don't want to know you because of sour grapes...it'll be easier to relate once they warm up to him.

you dont understand... it doesnt work like that. Its not their job to warm up to him, its his job to make a good impression and be personable to the right people. If its Joe P. Nub, whatever, but he definitely needs to get buddy buddy with his fellow first classes.  Out to sea, there is no "Warming up" period. There is no "Try outs" or what have yous, he needs to be effective right now, day one.

Im going to anticipate the "You just dont understand response" and I will pre counter with "He'll figure it out one way or the other".

Nukes eat their own. I can only imagine how much more true that is on a submarine...

mizzyung

« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:36 »
you dont understand... it doesnt work like that. Its not their job to warm up to him, its his job to make a good impression and be personable to the right people. If its Joe P. Nub, whatever, but he definitely needs to get buddy buddy with his fellow first classes.  Out to sea, there is no "Warming up" period. There is no "Try outs" or what have yous, he needs to be effective right now, day one.

Im going to anticipate the "You just dont understand response" and I will pre counter with "He'll figure it out one way or the other".

Nukes eat their own. I can only imagine how much more true that is on a submarine...

I was meaning just that...once he gets to prove himself as not being a waste of oxygen because no one wants to work UNDER someone who is a waste of space, unqualified, no sea time, with less than 5 days off crew time on the boat.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:09 »
I was meaning just that...once he gets to prove himself as not being a waste of oxygen because no one wants to work UNDER someone who is a waste of space, unqualified, no sea time, with less than 5 days off crew time on the boat.

You can only make one first impression is the problem.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?