Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Welding Jobs? How to get in? honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke Welding Jobs? How to get in?  (Read 26074 times)

deskaiser

Nuke Welding Jobs? How to get in?
« on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:35 »
Grettings,
I'm interested in becoming a maintenance welder for an exisiting nuclear power plant and would like to respectfully request any suggestions from exisiting employees.

My background is 22 years as a welder working primarily in coal fired power plants.  I have worked as a welder in nuke plants during scheduled outages and can pass all security requirements.  I have an Associates Degree in Business, Boilermaker Apprentice Program Graduate and just became a new AWS Certified Welding Inspector.  I'm willing to relocate, attend any training and start at an entry level position if required.  I'm also willing to go back to school at my own expence.  Needing a change and I really want to finish my welding career in the nuke industry.  I'm in my mid-40's and fear my age/lack of college degree may be a factor but I'm in excellent physical condition and can perform all required tasks in regards to manual labor.  I'm also very experienced when it comes to power plant welding, rigging, safety training, etc.  Any suggestions on who, when, where to contact?  Resume tips? Job fairs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 08:42 by deskaiser »

Sun Dog

Re: Nuke Welding Jobs? How to get in?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:59 »
Grettings,
I'm interested in becoming a maintenance welder for an exisiting nuclear power plant and would like to respectfully request any suggestions from exisiting employees.

My background is 22 years as a welder working primarily in coal fired power plants.  I have worked as a welder in nuke plants during scheduled outages and can pass all security requirements.  I have an Associates Degree in Business, Boilermaker Apprentice Program Graduate and just became a new AWS Certified Welding Inspector.  I'm willing to relocate, attend any training and start at an entry level position if required.  I'm also willing to go back to school at my own expence.  Needing a change and I really want to finish my welding career in the nuke industry.  I'm in my mid-40's and fear my age/lack of college degree may be a factor but I'm in excellent physical condition and can perform all required tasks in regards to manual labor.  I'm also very experienced when it comes to power plant welding, rigging, safety training, etc.  Any suggestions on who, when, where to contact?  Resume tips? Job fairs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  

The commercial side is often in need of qualified welders, weld engineers, inspectors, etc.  With your background you should have no problem landing a good gig.  It appears that you want a position that will keep you in one place for the remainder of your career.  That usually means landing a job with a utility.  That can be a slow, painful and frustrating process.

If I had your quals I'd be looking at getting a 'permanent' job with one of the welding services providers, either with the tools or without.  You'd make the money, enjoy a good benefits package and get to travel, the best of both worlds IMNSHO.

Here is one of the better ones:

http://www.wachsservices.com/

deskaiser

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:25 »
Thanks for the tip Sun Dog.   I'm looking at a job with a utility.  You're so right about it being a painful and frustrating process!  I've been at it for a full year now and had only one call despite hundreds of resumes sent.

I'm a bit burned out from the road and would like to spend more time with my wife but I will definitely look into the link you provided.  We're looking to relocate anyway so any geographical area will be considered.

I should have also pointed out that I am a boilermaker mechanic as well.  Mostly heavy rigging, hydraulic torque wrenches, metal fabrication and such.  

Does the nuke industry sponsor any job fairs that you know of?
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 09:31 by deskaiser »

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2011, 11:04 »
Just my opinion of course but I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for. Utilities just don't hire welders anymore, It's all contract. But you said you were certified weld inspector. That's the way I would go if I were you, much more likely to find a company hiring in house there. That being said pretty soon some utility is going to start construction on a new facility. And although those welders will be contract, it's a real long term gig and has lots of potential to stay on after startup.

deskaiser

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2011, 02:51 »
I worked in a nuke plant last year that had a welding shop in house.  They had three or four welders I think.

Sun Dog

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2011, 05:48 »
I worked in a nuke plant last year that had a welding shop in house.  They had three or four welders I think.

That is the point redline was making.  The site may have 3 or 4 employees who weld.  That is 3 or 4 employees out of 1200 +/-.  The turnover rate is very low.  There are very few (if any) positions available for utility welders at a commericial nuclear site.  If you want to weld at a nuclear plant you will need to focus on new construction or hook up with a welding service provider and be willing to travel.

deskaiser

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2011, 06:04 »
Perhaps the title Power Plant Mechanic/Welder would be better?  I've performed many other tasks while working as a boilermaker in nuke plants but welder seemed to be the one that got you the most call outs.

Sun Dog

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2011, 06:23 »
Perhaps the title Power Plant Mechanic/Welder would be better?  I've performed many other tasks while working as a boilermaker in nuke plants but welder seemed to be the one that got you the most call outs.

You are displaying wisdom by considering alternative positions.  You summed it up best when you confessed that after sending out hundreds of resumes over the course of a year (obviously some must have gone to potential employers outside of the nuclear arena) you received just one phone call and no offers of employment that you deemed acceptable.  You are either seeking an unobtainable position or your resume does not effectively reflect your abilities or qualifications.

« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 07:28 by Sun Dog »

deskaiser

« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:42 »
You are displaying wisdom by considering alternative positions.  You summed it up best when you confessed that after sending out hundreds of resumes over the course of a year (obviously some must have gone to potential employers outside of the nuclear arena) you received just one phone call and no offers of employment that you deemed acceptable.  You are either seeking an unobtainable position or your resume does not effectively reflect your abilities or qualifications.

Or perhaps the fact that the Obama EPA has postponed or cancelled most of the coal fired power plants in the USA.  Or the fact that many older plants are closing down due to the new EPA regs making it impossible to make a profit.  I'm not sure what the Nuke industry is like these days but the coal power industry is in pretty bad shape.  I'm a Boilermaker and there are tens of thousands unemployed these days.  It's the worst it's ever been and our pension is on the verge of default.  That's why I'm looking for work elsewhere.  My resume is well written and had recieved numerous interest before the crash of 2008.  Since the oil patch, chemical plants and the power industry was destroyed by Obama's EPA, it's been zero hits.  Plus the fact that nobody wants to hire a blue collar guy and who doesn't live locally. 

Thanks for the info.  I appreciate it and I'll look elswhere.  Best wishes to all.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?