Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Very interested in nuke program, concerned age is an issue. honeypot

Author Topic: Very interested in nuke program, concerned age is an issue.  (Read 12583 times)

efersept

I hope someone can give me some answers on this. My recruiter has not given me a single straight answer so far. I very much want to get into the nuke program but I am 30 years old as of october. Also I have a misdemeanor theft on my record because of a stupid, out of character choice when I was 25. This has been removed from my record though I am sure the navy will be able to see it. I have already taken the ASVAB and scored an AFQT of 99. I know I am mentally and physically capable of performing well in this program and am absolutely not a security risk. My recruiter tells me that an age waiver is a possibility because of high demand for people in this program but I have heard otherwise from different sources.
Could someone please tell me if I have a chance? If there is even the slightest possibility I can get in I will do whatever it takes.

Cycoticpenguin

There is a max age and a max waiver age. I think the cutoff is before 30 though. Google will probably help you.

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
You have to waiver in for age at any age over 25 years old, I believe.

Offline Fadge

• Light User
I know someone at my recruiting station that tried to go nuke and he was a couple months into 25 and his waiver didn't clear so he did Advanced electronics.  :o

But you never know, it is better to try with a waiver and get a no then to not try at all.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
You can get a waiver for just about anything in the navy, so go ahead and ask for it.

Offline Rock Chalk Jayhawk

• Light User
  • Stay positive, and love your life!
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but like Simon Cowell, I must be the bearer of painful truth.  At 30, I don't see any feasible way that age waiver will get approved for Navy Nuke.  You can get into Active Duty Navy up to the age of 34, but not the nuke program.  The cutoff is that you have to be able to ship to boot camp before your 25th birthday.  Even before they started getting really strict on waivers, the oldest one I saw approved was 26.  Unfortunately, you'll be wasting your time pursuing Navy nuke.  The good news is that there are plenty of technical ratings in the Navy that are attainable for you, and are lucrative in the private sector as well.  AECF, IT, CT, Aviation Electronics, etc...  I wish you the best of luck.

RCJ
"A shortcut's a self defeating means.  If you cannot do it clean, you'll never reach your reward. And when the day is done, what you receive is the sum of what you took out from what you put in." ~311

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
I need a little more info from you efersept...
No age is unwaiverable, but...
Things that will be looked at when considering your waiver:
-ASVAB, specifically your NUC and EL scores, with a 99...you're good there.
-High School grades, did you have anything below a 'C' in any portion of a math class?
-High School GPA and final class standing.
-SAT scores...ACT scores.
-College GPA and how long has it been since you took and did well in a college math and or science class?
-Work history, what have you been doing with your life to this point?
-As for the charge...yes it will show up on an FBI backround investigation, but what were the circumstances?

Basically, you are going to be looked at with the "Whole person concept".
Let me know if you have any questions.
I am the Nuke Field Coordinator for the New Orleans district...Ive done lots of Age waivers and seen them approved, but a lot disapproved also....it all depends on the bigger picture.

Offline yota

• Moderate User
I shipped to Great Lakes at the age of 26 and turned 27 half-way through A-school. More likely than not, you will be required to take the NAPT in order to have an age waiver approved. I also scored a 99 AFQT and this is the path that I was sent down. I don't think it is impossible, but it won't be easy either. If you have any specific questions regarding the process, feel free to pm me or read the extensive narrative that I typed out on this forum detailing my experience.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?