Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Caught between a rock and a hard decision

Author Topic: Caught between a rock and a hard decision  (Read 6085 times)

barrylanham

Caught between a rock and a hard decision
« on: Jan 08, 2011, 04:17 »
I've been a member and avid reader of the nukeworker forums for a long time now and have a situation that I need some expert advice on, and yes I've used the search function many times ;D. I've recently gone back on a medication that I was on before the Navy which disqualifies me from maintaining a nuclear NEC (FYI I didn't go "sad"). I tried to submit a waiver to keep my NEC while staying on my medication which I was told by my Rad Health Officer and CRA would be disapproved. I will be on this medication for many years to come which eliminates the possibility of a waiver to regain my NEC. I have a little over 3 years left on my contract which leaves me with two decisions, to convert to a different rate and finish my contract or decline conversion and be separated due to the loss of my NEC with either an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions.

I'm afraid that if I convert to another rate and finish out my contract my value to prospective employers will decrease due to being out of the field for 3+ years. On the other hand, I'm worried about the consequences that not completing my contract would have in attaining a job. Furthermore, I'm married with a one year old daughter which throws medical insurance in the equation. I've also heard there is a possibility I will be required to payback a portion of my bonus. My question is will my job opportunities suffer more by getting out now instead of finishing my contract in another field? The thought of not being able to find a job with a comparable salary to provide for my family scares the crap out of me. But not continuing my career in the nuclear field that I love and have all my experience/education in doesn't sit well with me.

Here is a condensed version of my experience for background info:
6 years of service, Bachelor's of Science in Nuclear Engineering Technology (Excelsior), active Top Secret w/SCI security clearance (expires May 2015), Primary Workcenter Supervisor (through 5 MTT's and ORSE), senior most Electrician in Reactor Training Staff, Drill Team Load Dispatcher, ORSE Load Dispatcher, was 75% complete with PPWS qual's when TLD was taken, and 2 NAM's (one for performance during ORSE as WCS and LD the other for rescue efforts after being hit by a tornado)

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

JustinHEMI05

Re: Caught between a rock and a hard decision
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2011, 05:12 »
Without knowing the condition and medication, I would get out and find a job in commercial nuke now, with the caviat that there is a slim chance that whatever you have might disqualify you out here as well. Chances are though, it doesn't. There are people on meds for all kinds of reasons at commercial nukes. You have enough experience to find a job out here. Not completing your contract doesn't even need to be on the resume.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 05:13 by JustinHEMI »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2011, 05:15 »
Out of curiosity, although your clearance has no bearing out here, what does an enlisted nuke need an sci clearance for?

Offline LT Dan

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:42 »

Here is a condensed version of my experience for background info:
6 years of service, Bachelor's of Science in Nuclear Engineering Technology (Excelsior), active Top Secret w/SCI security clearance (expires May 2015), Primary Workcenter Supervisor (through 5 MTT's and ORSE), senior most Electrician in Reactor Training Staff, Drill Team Load Dispatcher, ORSE Load Dispatcher, was 75% complete with PPWS qual's when TLD was taken, and 2 NAM's (one for performance during ORSE as WCS and LD the other for rescue efforts after being hit by a tornado)

All that in six years (two of which I assume were in the pipeline)

Something smells funny here...

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:01 »
Definitely NLO.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:38 »
Not so much if he brought previous college credits to the game,...

He has had the degree over two years now (past posts),....

Two years ago he was contemplating OCS,...

(amazing how fast 2 years flies by around here huh?!?!?!?!)

Amazing research before the comment!  ;D ;D ;D +K
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

barrylanham

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:02 »
I applied for OCS in 2009 with Crypto and Intel as my second and third choice. Before my package could be submitted to the board for Intel and Crypto I had to have a TS/SCI investigation started. It was completed May 2010.

Initially my goal was to become a Nuke Officer, get out with a Master's Degree and apply for an Instant SRO position. I was shocked when I didn't get selected for SWO-NUC, I think it may have been that I had the Excelsior Degree and only 1 semester of Calculus based Physics (a waiver was required for the other semester).  After not being accepted in 2010 (it took over 8 months before I got the results which weren't even official) I started PPWS quals and planned to stay out to sea for the rest of my contract to ensure 2 years of actually standing the watch.

I would be very happy to start as a NLO, I kind of figured Instant SRO wasn't even an option without PPWS. I only wanted to make sure I wouldn't get overlooked because of a general discharge under honorable conditions or reenlistment code (if you get denuked for medical reasons you usually get a RE-3G or RE-4).

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:27 »
I applied for OCS in 2009 with Crypto and Intel as my second and third choice. Before my package could be submitted to the board for Intel and Crypto I had to have a TS/SCI investigation started. It was completed May 2010.

Initially my goal was to become a Nuke Officer, get out with a Master's Degree and apply for an Instant SRO position. I was shocked when I didn't get selected for SWO-NUC, I think it may have been that I had the Excelsior Degree and only 1 semester of Calculus based Physics (a waiver was required for the other semester).  After not being accepted in 2010 (it took over 8 months before I got the results which weren't even official) I started PPWS quals and planned to stay out to sea for the rest of my contract to ensure 2 years of actually standing the watch.

I would be very happy to start as a NLO, I kind of figured Instant SRO wasn't even an option without PPWS. I only wanted to make sure I wouldn't get overlooked because of a general discharge under honorable conditions or reenlistment code (if you get denuked for medical reasons you usually get a RE-3G or RE-4).

Gotcha, thanks for sharing, I was just curious.

You are correct though, instant SRO isn't an option.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?