Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Career Change honeypot

Author Topic: Career Change  (Read 4061 times)

New2Nuke

Career Change
« on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:45 »
First I wanted to thank everyone who has posted useful information for those of us new to the industry trying to get answers. I've spent quite a bit of time reviewing different threads, which has helped a lot. That having been said, if I missed a topic, I apologize in advance for asking a question that may have already been answered.

I'm looking at making a career change and after researching the industry and speaking to a lot of friends who work for nuclear plants, I am really serious about it. My background has been working in the financial services industry, my education is a Bachelor of Science in Finance and an MBA. I'm interested in a position as an NLO, willing to relocate anywhere, though I live close to Nine Mile 1 and 2, Fitzpatrick and R.E. Ginna in New York. I understand that a technical background is not required to get in as an operator. So my first question is - what skills would be beneficial to have on my resume when applying for such a position? I have listed problem solving and analytical skills, communication, and the ability to follow procedures/directions but if anyone has additional advice I'd appreciate it.

On the topic of education, I've looked at the certification program by Bismarck State College in Nuclear Technology and was wondering if anyone is familiar with it? Is this something that would be beneficial to have for someone trying to get into the industry as an operator? The coursework looks like it would lay a good groundwork for understanding the industry, but I have to question its relevancy when I hear that you are taught reactor theory, thermodynamics etc... in training if you get in anyways.

Thanks again, any advice is really appreciated.

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
Re: Career Change
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:52 »
I think you've proven your scholastic aptitude with your BS.  The MBA doesn't carry much weight until you're licensed with experience (SRO).  Your next step is the painstaking hunt for NLO openings and preparation for the POSS.  Use those "friends who work for nuclear plants" to find out the hiring cycles for the plants you would be interested in and apply.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

New2Nuke

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2011, 12:56 »
Thanks, I didn't expect my graduate work to be of much help getting in but if it helps down the road then great.

I didn't include it in my first thread as I didn't want to sound long winded, but I applied in December for an NLO class at Nine Mile. I have good references / referrals from individuals who work out there so hopefully it helps. I've been studying for the POSS, which is going well and I have experience with behavioral interviews so I feel like as long as I get a call to take the POSS and interview it should go well as long as I keep preparing.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:28 »
I will say... If you have a good head on your shoulders and they hire you in, you should have no issues. My plant hired an ex marine, a banker, a plumber, and a motley assortment of randomness  haha.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?