Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Pros and Cons of going union?

Author Topic: Pros and Cons of going union?  (Read 10639 times)

my name is.....

Pros and Cons of going union?
« on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:48 »
Hey folks, I have never worked for/with a union before and was curious about what others think about the pros and cons of doing so.

Thanks all for any information.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Re: Pros and Cons of going union?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:08 »
Find the NPUA thread
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

my name is.....

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:11 »
Ok will do, I searched for Unions and all other topics related but did not know about the NPUA. I will look into that.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:20 »
It should give you a good picture of the debate.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,18812.0.html
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011, 11:23 by Smart People »
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:04 »
Hey folks, I have never worked for/with a union before and was curious about what others think about the pros and cons of doing so.

Thanks all for any information.

This is just my experience with union shops over the years:

Cons -
1.  Pay a monthly fee.
2.  Don't get any raises for better performance.
3.  There are always some slackers that won't pull their weight & hide behind the union. 

Pros -
1.  Higher pay.
2.  Protection from the caprices of management.

Sure I am missing some obvious points...and also sure someone will be happy to add them.  ;)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:07 »

Cons -
1.  Pay a monthly fee.
3.  There are always some slackers that won't pull their weight & hide behind the union. 

Pros -
1.  Higher pay.

Sure I am missing some obvious points...and also sure someone will be happy to add them.  ;)

I think that just about covers it.  Is it worth it?  Only you can decide based on your own situation
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

my name is.....

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:09 »

Cons -
1.  Pay a monthly fee.

Pros -
1.  Higher pay.

Thank you for providing your insight. I just have a hard time convincing myself to pay another fee (tax) for money that I earned, but the higher pay could compensate depending on how much that monthly fee is.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:14 »
Find the NPUA thread

NPUA thread has been centered around organizing and though there is some good information it may be best to talk to someone in a union now. Not all unions are equal and what I get from your post is that you may be joining one in the near future at a new job. There are unions for the craft/travelers and unions for facilities each serves a little different role. I have found unions a mixed blessing from the management side depending on the attitudes of the union and the facility management. From previous posts I gather you are going to Turkey Point as an NLO.

my name is.....

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:18 »
NPUA thread has been centered around organizing and though there is some good information it may be best to talk to someone in a union now. Not all unions are equal and what I get from your post is that you may be joining one in the near future at a new job. There are unions for the craft/travelers and unions for facilities each serves a little different role. I have found unions a mixed blessing from the management side depending on the attitudes of the union and the facility management. From previous posts I gather you are going to Turkey Point as an NLO.

Thank you Marlin, for your specific details, I will find someone in an union and speak to them and if anyone reading this is already apart of one and willing to discuss it in a PM I would be willing to hear about it.

Thanks again.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?