Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Fire at the fossil plant  

Author Topic: Fire at the fossil plant  (Read 7712 times)

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Fire at the fossil plant
« on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:30 »
Just saw some pictures from the transformer fire. Does anyone have the particulars on this? Pretty scary stuff. The only thing that separates my little cubicle from our main unit transformers is some sheet rock and some corrugated metal.

Sun Dog

Re: Fire at the fossil plant
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2011, 08:41 »
Just saw some pictures from the transformer fire. Does anyone have the particulars on this? Pretty scary stuff. The only thing that separates my little cubicle from our main unit transformers is some sheet rock and some corrugated metal.

That won't be enough to protect you if they blow.  Some utilities have plans to retrofit their transformer yards with blast walls. Initially that plan gives the employees great comfort believing that their employer is taking steps to protect them from the 'what if'.  Then, they realize the blast shields are really engineered to protect the hardware (adjacent transformers) from damage more than the software (people).  I believe there are also some equipment monitoring capabilities that can provide indications of a problem before it reaches critical mass so that corrective actions can be implemented and an event avoided.

Catostrophic failure of transformers have prompted some interim protective measures. Reinforcing windows that face the transformers; limiting access to the transformers themselves; installing temporary blast shields on exposed facilities occupied by employees (temporary outage support fab shops, break rooms and offices).

You may want to suggest that your site safety committee table this worthy discussion some time.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2011, 08:45 by Sun Dog »

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2011, 09:59 »

Palo Verde 1989...unit Three...my trailer was within 100 feet of the transformer. When it exploded, the force knocked me out of my chair and oil went everywhere. I'm still surprised Utilities don't build bunkers around those things.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:33 »
I'm still surprised Utilities don't build bunkers around those things.

same reason stop lights don't go up at an intersection until X number of collisions or Y number of fatalities.

Anyone have pictures of the Siberian hydro plant that flooded out after the main transformer explosion ruptured the wall and adjacent penstocks?
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2011, 10:52 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:42 »
Popular Science or Mechanics had an article last year about it. Google it. I've seen the pictures...what a mess!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:26 »
Arcover, then bushing fails and oil leakage/fire, deluge spray at ~0:13.

This is a pretty stout distribution transformer, but a power plant unit aux or main would be about 3-5x larger.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?