Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu sub officer retiring and looking to transition into commercial nuclear power  

Author Topic: sub officer retiring and looking to transition into commercial nuclear power  (Read 7648 times)

jeffb

This site has some great info on getting into the commercial nuclear power program.  I am looking to retire in Dec 2012 and I would like to make contact with other former submarine officers who have successfully transitioned into the commercial nuclear power industry.  I am also interested in any feedback from anyone on the best way to get the process started.  It appears from searching the site, the best way is to post resumes on company websites.  Is there any advantage to using a head hunter (Lee Cohen?)  I am not stuck on any geographic area and would like to get into an SRO licensing training program if possible.

I have a B.S. in Chemical Engineering and an M.S. in Mechanical Engineering and have served as JO, Eng, Squadron Eng, and XO on nuclear submarines. Thanks for the help anyone can provide!

JustinHEMI05

Doesn't the world end in Dec 2012?  :P

Anyway, since you requested a former sub officer to get in contact with, I will see if the navigator in my current class will contact you. He does have an account here. There aren't that many, as compared to blue shirts like me, that have done it.

The process is the same for everyone, post your resume on the job sites and apply for specific positions. Head hunters won't help you get into a licensing program, it is all on you. You may want to have someone look at your resume here. As I am sure you are aware, you are far away from anyone being willing to talk you right now, but it is better to start preparing earlier than later, of course. That said, utilities will start to be interested in talking to you usually within 6 months of you getting out, but you can start applying for positions before that.

Good luck.

Thanks for your service.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2011, 12:19 by JustinHEMI »

jeffb

Justin,

Thanks for the info!  I know I am a long way out, I am just starting the research now.  Is the Navigator's first name you are talking about Jamie?  If so I know him.  That would be great if you could put me in touch with him.  I will definitely take you up on having someone there look at my resume as the time gets closer.

I apologize if it sounded like I only wanted to talk to former officers.  I just thought we would have similar experience paths but I am interested in gouge and advice from anyone who has successfully transitioned from navy to commerical nuclear power.  Thanks again for the help!

JustinHEMI05

His name is Mark and I will speak to him tomorrow, as I was out of class today for personal reasons.

tselby

Jeff

Justin is right a majority the SRO students are prior enlisted, do not be afraid to take advice from them, all the advice you can garner the better take it from this retired CPO who has been thru the program, we have had 2 prior officers thru the last class and one currently in class where i am at now. If you have some specific question you can ask me as well.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
Jeff,

I'm pretty sure we know each other.  I'm a retired officer in the commercial industry.  I sent you a PM.

Joe H.

mark.phillips

Jeff,

Justin finally decided to show up for class and let me know you were looking for an O-Ganger to talk to.  Im not as active on this board as he is, but you can look at some of my posts from last year when I was mid-job-hunt, which may also be a good source of info. 

I got out in July following my DH tour.  Prior to getting out, I did a lot of research on commercial nukes, a few engineering firms, the NRC, Amazon, and some consulting stuff, so I can probably discuss whatever your considering. 

You can email me at steeda_3@hotmail.com with any questions you have. 

Mark

jeffb

Justin/Mark/Joe,

Thanks for all the info everyone has provided.  While searching the threads for SRO-related information, I found a guy from several years ago (~2007) who was in a similar situation to me (as far as where he was in his career when decided to make the transition to commerical nuclear power)--his name is Mark (subshooter).  I tried to PM and email him to get some feedback on his transition but no joy.  He has not posted in several years so I am not sure if he looks at the site anymore.  Does anyone know how to get in contact with him?  Thanks

Jeff

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?