Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Commercial Nuke, Time Frame for BG Check and UAA honeypot

Author Topic: Commercial Nuke, Time Frame for BG Check and UAA  (Read 12012 times)

Fat Ron

Commercial Nuke, Time Frame for BG Check and UAA
« on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:04 »
I believe I would not be in NLO class if my background check had not been complete, the recruiter even said so.  That the company does not bring successful candidates down and extend a final and complete offer until the BG Check has been complete.  No one, even the company would like to go to an employee (oops our and your bad) while already in class for any length of time and have to pull them from class because of an Unsatisfactory BG Check.  Class was to begin very soon and I still had not been extended my final offer of employment until less than a week from the 1st day of class.

Well I had my official offer with the following processing still needing to be completed as of my first day of hire/ 1st of class:  MMPI: Finger Printing and FFD.

Okay, been there and have done that.  I had my followup interview with the psychologist 2 weeks after my start date.  I found out that I needed to schedule this interview from my classmates.  I really appreciated the direction given by the company on what steps we need to take to complete In Processing and gaining Plant Access.

It has been two full weeks since my post MMPI test interview was conducted and company received the psychologist's report.

There is nothing else that I am aware of that I need to do but wait.  I am coming up on 30 days from my first and last FFD.  It looks like I will most likely will have to do it again.  No big deal.

The process is actually no big deal other than the waiting.  The waiting is bothering me quite some.  I feel as if I cannot rest and move forward with confidence with this great job and opportunity until I have my badge.  Much is riding on this, a relocation, a house to pack, sell and move, a family too.

I am one to never count my chickens till they hatch and am also a very patient person.  But there is concern for it seems like this chic should have hatched already and I am concerned about the healthy ending when it does arrive.

I have asked some fellow co-workers about the wait.  I have heard suggestions of: "if you have traveled internationally lately" and "if your background is extensive"<-----?  extensive?  How far back Extensive?

The PHQ basically asked for 5 years.  My last 5 years has been quite stable living in one city with two different addresses.  though with a few different employers thanks to the recession.  Prior till about 2003 my career had taken me to many different places with many different addresses.  And about the travel, well let me tell you, I really utilized some travel benefits in 2010: Rome, Paris, London, Tel Aviv and Beijing.  All of this information(travel and previous addresses) greater than 5 years back was not requested. If there were questions, having them asked would be somewhat relieving for I would be in the loop.  Communication, amazing how it can be so effective.

Is the travel a possibility for the length of time for issuing access?  It should not be.  I also never provided my passport number and do not like this type of intrusion.  If someone had a question about international travel, the company doing a BG Check should have the decency to ask the applicant in the first place.

Communication has been non-existent.  In Plant Processing has not been a help. Should I approach my Supervisor about this?  It may come down to crunch time with a house to sell, a husband who is seeking work in the region where the plant is, to be with his wife and a notice to give to his employer back home.  I would hate for him to give notice, relocate here, have the house sell, all for being patient, confident that the access will be given and for some surprise unknown to me, be denied.  With a child as well, finding care for her is of importance. 

To have this drag out is aggravating given all the personal responsibilities laying with me and this great job.  When given the go ahead to come to class on a very short notice, myself and husband were relieved that the the BG Check had been completed satisfactorily and we could move forward with excitement and eagerness for a great relocation and a new start.  Now this seems to be all put on hold until we can rest that this is for real.

I believe that "No news is Good News".  Sometimes though, this is not the case.  I guess it is the "sometimes" that is bothering me.

I have been forthcoming with everything, no arrests, drug use, tickets of significance, no criminal record, no back taxes, great credit, a complete employment history, etc.  Again, thought that this was done for I am in NLO class now.

What could be the deal?

Graphic

Re: Commercial Nuke, Time Frame for BG Check and UAA
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:30 »
Well just because you are in the class you hadn't completed all the in-processing steps yet. I'm not sure why they did it that way but if you just took the MMPI and did the FFD/Fingerprinting then THAT is when your background is being started. They don't just "DO" your background without your written approval for many things. (I.E Credit check) Somewhere in your PHQ was a credit disclosure/waiver basically that gives them the right to  run your credit. Doesn't count against your credit as it is just an employment check.

There could be many reasons that your badge is being held up. Maybe your fingerprints haven't come back. If the psych was going to deny you they would have already had you off site so more than likely that is fine as well.

In my opinion from everything you wrote I don't think there will be an issue. It's probably something on the paperwork end of things or access just being slow more than anything else. My suggestion would be to either talk to someone that is in in-processing and tell them you haven't received a badge and was just curious. You could also go to security where you got fingerprinted and ask them. Or you could call access which someone around the plant should have the number for. I would also tell your supervisor just so they are aware and can kind of keep them on the ball.

You wrote a lot and I'm tired if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I will try to check tomorrow. Long hours at work  ::)
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2011, 08:11 by Graphic »

Fat Ron

« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:04 »
Thanks Graphic for the reply.  It helps some.  I mean that the wait is a weight still.  Though I do believe that it is most likely a paperwork situation and that some of the process is just slow.

Well Well prior to arriving to class, I completed the PHQ, Credit Release and Criminal Record Check form, etc well in a month in advance.  My last employer actually informed me that they received a call about me.  That put me in a different position.  The previous employer was a good place to be and they worked with me as I was hopefully waiting for good word that I was good to report to class, pending the Satisfactory BGC.  My previous employer was aware of a pending notice though I had yet been unable to give official notice, waiting on the BGC to be complete and Sat with the utility.  So I believe the BGC was done as it appears that this was the approach and procedure for new hires.  I did my physical and Drug test all during the preceding month before my formal offer and cleared to report to class.

On day one, all that was left were the last three items.

So now I wait.  My previous BGC work took forever and I think it was stuck on someone's desk prior to being cleared to report to class.  I would not be surprised that this may be the case again with the last three items, with maybe exception to the psych evaluation.

Thanks for all your help Graphic, I know for myself and many others going through the process that your insight does provide some clarity and some relief.

Graphic

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:03 »
Sorry I didn't give much of a reply last night. I was really looking at the screen like a zombie and probably rewrote half of the paragraph 10 times because I kept messing up lol. I was so sleepy. Anyways lets just say you hired in today and then 30 days from now you come back you will have to have a drug test. No matter if you are badged or not if you do not use your badge for 30 days or it has been 30 days since you have been on site and badged at a plant then you will have to be tested again. Really and truly even if you are badged and lets just say you get laid off go to another site. The only time you DONT have to take a drug test is if it has been less than 5 days. If you haven't been under the "BOP" in 5 days then they will drug test you again prior to access anywhere else.

Kinda of blabbing now but the point is that is why you probably had to do a lot of the same things over again and some more paperwork basically to update you in a sense... even if not badged. Sometimes they just schedule classes or hire people so early that they will have them come in and go through the process and then don't want them back for another month or two until whatever they are going in for is ready to start. Kinda a pain sometimes but hey better safe than sorry and they would rather spend more money on testing and doing the paperwork instead of a bunch of druggies and unsafe people coming in. Not to make you out as a druggie just using an example as to why sometimes things seem repetitive or drawn out etc. Lord knows that we are all about safety in the nuclear field --- and we well should be.

Still think that we focus on safety so so much nowadays that our security has been lacking at many sites. Fortunately there are many security upgrades currently going on around the country at many different sites but I still think way more should be done. That's only my opinion and an entirely different matter.  

I still suggest trying to see what is holding your background up. It won't hurt to bug them. If you want tell me which plant you are hiring in at and I will get you the number and name of the person you need to speak with. Either way just go to security or in-processing and they should be able to find out what the holdup may be.

Goodluck and glad to help.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2011, 08:10 by Graphic »

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:04 »
I believe I would not be in NLO class if my background check had not been complete, the recruiter even said so.  That the company does not bring successful candidates down and extend a final and complete offer until the BG Check has been complete.  No one, even the company would like to go to an employee (oops our and your bad) while already in class for any length of time and have to pull them from class because of an Unsatisfactory BG Check.  Class was to begin very soon and I still had not been extended my final offer of employment until less than a week from the 1st day of class.

Well I had my official offer with the following processing still needing to be completed as of my first day of hire/ 1st of class:  MMPI: Finger Printing and FFD.

Okay, been there and have done that.  I had my followup interview with the psychologist 2 weeks after my start date.  I found out that I needed to schedule this interview from my classmates.  I really appreciated the direction given by the company on what steps we need to take to complete In Processing and gaining Plant Access.

It has been two full weeks since my post MMPI test interview was conducted and company received the psychologist's report.

There is nothing else that I am aware of that I need to do but wait.  I am coming up on 30 days from my first and last FFD.  It looks like I will most likely will have to do it again.  No big deal.

The process is actually no big deal other than the waiting.  The waiting is bothering me quite some.  I feel as if I cannot rest and move forward with confidence with this great job and opportunity until I have my badge.  Much is riding on this, a relocation, a house to pack, sell and move, a family too.

I am one to never count my chickens till they hatch and am also a very patient person.  But there is concern for it seems like this chic should have hatched already and I am concerned about the healthy ending when it does arrive.

I have asked some fellow co-workers about the wait.  I have heard suggestions of: "if you have traveled internationally lately" and "if your background is extensive"<-----?  extensive?  How far back Extensive?

The PHQ basically asked for 5 years.  My last 5 years has been quite stable living in one city with two different addresses.  though with a few different employers thanks to the recession.  Prior till about 2003 my career had taken me to many different places with many different addresses.  And about the travel, well let me tell you, I really utilized some travel benefits in 2010: Rome, Paris, London, Tel Aviv and Beijing.  All of this information(travel and previous addresses) greater than 5 years back was not requested. If there were questions, having them asked would be somewhat relieving for I would be in the loop.  Communication, amazing how it can be so effective.

Is the travel a possibility for the length of time for issuing access?  It should not be.  I also never provided my passport number and do not like this type of intrusion.  If someone had a question about international travel, the company doing a BG Check should have the decency to ask the applicant in the first place.

Communication has been non-existent.  In Plant Processing has not been a help. Should I approach my Supervisor about this?  It may come down to crunch time with a house to sell, a husband who is seeking work in the region where the plant is, to be with his wife and a notice to give to his employer back home.  I would hate for him to give notice, relocate here, have the house sell, all for being patient, confident that the access will be given and for some surprise unknown to me, be denied.  With a child as well, finding care for her is of importance. 

To have this drag out is aggravating given all the personal responsibilities laying with me and this great job.  When given the go ahead to come to class on a very short notice, myself and husband were relieved that the the BG Check had been completed satisfactorily and we could move forward with excitement and eagerness for a great relocation and a new start.  Now this seems to be all put on hold until we can rest that this is for real.

I believe that "No news is Good News".  Sometimes though, this is not the case.  I guess it is the "sometimes" that is bothering me.

I have been forthcoming with everything, no arrests, drug use, tickets of significance, no criminal record, no back taxes, great credit, a complete employment history, etc.  Again, thought that this was done for I am in NLO class now.

What could be the deal?

Incorrect, your recruiter was wrong. They do not start the background check until you are an actual employee.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:07 »
I'm betting on the wild card: travel to two countries on Sensitive Countries of Concern list. Much more research for you than the average Yogi Bear. Just sayin'

Graphic

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:30 »
I'm betting on the wild card: travel to two countries on Sensitive Countries of Concern list. Much more research for you than the average Yogi Bear. Just sayin'

You are correct on that one. I just don't think it should take as long but it's just according to where they are hiring in and who's doing it! Great assessment though I meant to touch on it but didn't really think about it after reading it last night half asleep.  +K

Graphic

« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:34 »
Oh and I tried to + your Karma as you can see at the end of my sentence but I'm a newb. I can't find it anywhere else! So until then you receive no karma from me !! lol

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:42 »
It is in the users information to the left;

<-------------------------

See the Green thumbs up and red thumbs down? That is how you issue Karma.

Good luck.

Graphic

« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:12 »
The only thing that is on the left for me is your avatar. The name.. It shows how much karma that person has and the actual word "Karma" is a link and it takes you to that persons Karma history or whatever. It also shows your gender and the number of posts you have and your forum status I guess...But nowhere on my screen is there any green/red hand that I can click. The only time I see those options are when I am responding to a message like now and all it does it put it at the end of the sentence. Maybe I'm on a lite version or something? I will look into it lol.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011, 12:14 by Graphic »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:18 »
Oh, well, you get it with gold member and I assumed with "forum staff" but maybe not? IDK.

Graphic

« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:59 »
Oh well. No biggie I'll just give you all tons of thumbs up in here for your karma changes for me and for your helpful advice all around the forums!  +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K

Fat Ron

« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:13 »
I figured it may have been the travel.  I do find it very aggravating that know one had informed me or even suggested that this travel would have been an issue.  Also, I have no idea how the person doing the BGC is even going to know of how or why I went to where I did.  A simple question to me would answer that very easily.  Also, HELLO.... I was working for an airline prior to coming to work in the Nuclear industry.  Why do you think I was traveling?  Daaaa!

As for safety and security, enough said.

It really should not be this hard.  Really.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:30 »

You'll find yourself going back to this phrase a lot throughout your career.   :P

Welcome to the industry and good luck!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:50 »
  Also, I have no idea how the person doing the BGC is even going to know of how or why I went to where I did. 

That's part of the beauty of counter-intelligence.

"Perhaps shee vas der in search of Moose und Squirrel!"

Graphic

« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2011, 03:05 »
I figured it may have been the travel.  I do find it very aggravating that know one had informed me or even suggested that this travel would have been an issue.  Also, I have no idea how the person doing the BGC is even going to know of how or why I went to where I did.  A simple question to me would answer that very easily.  Also, HELLO.... I was working for an airline prior to coming to work in the Nuclear industry.  Why do you think I was traveling?  Daaaa!

As for safety and security, enough said.

Thanks for the replies.

I still think there will be no issues from the information I have. You should be good to go. I believe you would know by now if they thought there was going to be an issue with badging you.

Be prepared for everything in the nuclear field to be difficult though. Procedure, procedure, procedure.

-Ryan

P.S. Love the pic Hydro  ;D

Fat Ron

« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:24 »
Nuclear NASCAR,

HAHAHAHA.  You made me laugh and put a smile in my face.  A little light heartedness was good to get.  So now I will wait less anxiously.  Thank you all.  I will follow up when the day comes.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?