Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu nlo to ro  

Author Topic: nlo to ro  (Read 5356 times)

nnuke1013

nlo to ro
« on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:10 »
how long do you have to work as an NLO til you can become an RO, if at all?

JustinHEMI05

Re: nlo to ro
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:22 »
This is another one of those imossible to answer general questions.

Every utility, every site is different.

At minimum, a few years as nlo. But then you have to figure any union contracts and seniority and current manning. Rough estimate? 5 years? That seems to be the average where I have worked. YMMV

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:31 »
how long do you have to work as an NLO til you can become an RO, if at all?

First: read all of the threads on this site and then figure on 3 to 7 years.  If your employer is building new plants you may be lucky but figure 3 at a minimum!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:40 »
From ACAD 10-001:

"Effective January 1, 2011, this document supersedes ACAD 09-001, Guidelines for Initial
Training and Qualification of Licensed Operators, January 2009. Until January 1, 2011, either
document may be used as the basis for initial licensed operator training and qualification."

"2.1
Reactor Operator (RO) Education and Experience Eligibility Requirements
Education –
The candidate possesses a high school diploma or equivalency certificate.
Experience –
The candidate has at least three years of power plant experience, as defined
by Figure 2-1, and at least six months on site at the facility for which the license is being
sought. Additional nonlicensed operator, commercial reactor operator, or military reactor
operator experience is required, as defined in Figure 2-1. "

nnuke1013

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:44 »
thanks guys, i appreciate it.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:20 »
I was able to use academic experience for the ACAD requirements.  I took my NRC Written Exam ( the last part of the test) 5 days before the 4th anniversary of my hire date.  I received the license in the mail about a month later on the same week that my first born arrived.  It was the best week of my life :)

I think it would be very hard to go any faster unless you could get the instant RO that appears to be available now.

Captain America

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2011, 09:02 »

I think it would be very hard to go any faster unless you could get the instant RO that appears to be available now.

I believe this will be the new preferred path.  Particularly with the navy's Building 65 projected to reduce the size of naval nuclear personnel in just a couple of years.

It's a brave new world.

Congrats NN on the addition to the family and new license.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?