Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu i want to get in nuclear really bad honeypot

Author Topic: i want to get in nuclear really bad  (Read 19413 times)

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
i want to get in nuclear really bad
« on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:31 »
i can travel now,nothing holding me back. I have been putting in resumes every week.I wonder if I still have a chance at getting a nuclear job since I have been out for over 15 years.But from what I have read there are lots of jobs now and not enough trained people.I am trained just have to get retrained.is this silly thinking I may get back in?

nu-nuker

Re: i want to get in nuclear really bad
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2011, 03:51 »
I want in too.  I wanna be a Sr. HP.  trying to get in as a Decon tech.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2011, 05:07 »
Not to be rude, but instead of "I want, I want", perhaps you guys should be more in tune with "What do I need to do to get back in".... Plenty of resources here for that...

My plant hires so many random people... We hired a 46 year old who has zero relevant experience as an operator fwiw.

Pman52

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2011, 05:40 »
Not to be rude, but instead of "I want, I want", perhaps you guys should be more in tune with "What do I need to do to get back in".... Plenty of resources here for that...

My plant hires so many random people... We hired a 46 year old who has zero relevant experience as an operator fwiw.

I agree.  You have to impress the right people at the right time.  It's a work in progress for me as well.

Content1

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2011, 07:35 »
I want in too.  I wanna be a Sr. HP.  trying to get in as a Decon tech.

I want to be a "Star."  Mr. DeMille, I am ready for my close up.

nu-nuker

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:00 »
I want to be a "Star."  Mr. DeMille, I am ready for my close up.

What is that suppose to mean? I work my a** off everyday at a crap job, and I go to school at night.  I will be done with my BA in business administration after this term.  No schools offer any radiation protection classes in my area so I'm gonna have to work my way up to a Sr HP by starting as a Decon Tech.  I also call Bartlett every week looking for a job, but they are not hiring any entry level positions.

Sun Dog

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:02 »
What is that suppose to mean? I work my a** off everyday at a crap job, and I go to school at night.  I will be done with my BA in business administration after this term.  No schools offer any radiation protection classes in my area so I'm gonna have to work my way up to a Sr HP by starting as a Decon Tech.  I also call Bartlett every week looking for a job, but they are not hiring any entry level positions.

Don't fret.  C1 posts rarely have merit.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:55 »
Don't fret.  C1 posts rarely have merit.
Ouch!  That's gonna leave a mark!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Content1

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:08 »
Ouch!  That's gonna leave a mark!

Not really, Sun Dog's Dogma is just that.  If fact, my karma is higher than his.   You might say my "Karma" runs over his "Dogma."

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:27 »

Why dont you ask people how they got in. I know an enormous amount of people without any prior, relevant experience get hired into nuke plants... Perhaps work an outage or two as a radiation sponge.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2011, 01:32 »
Not really, Sun Dog's Dogma is just that.  If fact, my karma is higher than his.   You might say my "Karma" runs over his "Dogma."
Content, you must be a Democrat, you can make numbers mean whatever you wish!!  Of course your karma is higher than Dog's, you out post him by 129 posts.  If you go by karma per post, Dog beats you by 1.48 to 0.88.  Bad Content1, bad! -K [OT] [whistle] [whistle] :notrolls:
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:02 »

Or you might say you've acquired 242 Karma points in 8 years registered here versus Sun Dog's 223 points in 8 months...heh heh heh...
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Content1

« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:18 »
Content, you must be a Democrat, you can make numbers mean whatever you wish!!  Of course your karma is higher than Dog's, you out post him by 129 posts.  If you go by karma per post, Dog beats you by 1.48 to 0.88.  Bad Content1, bad! -K [OT] [whistle] [whistle] :notrolls:

Saying my posts have no merit or saying I am bad is one thing, but calling me a "Democrat," now that is low blow!  I am insulted!  I will now go whimper in a corner somewhere with other Democrats.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:27 »
Saying my posts have no merit or saying I am bad is one thing, but calling me a "Democrat," now that is low blow!  I am insulted!  I will now go whimper in a corner somewhere with other Democrats.

Stand proud. Democrats are better, we just choose not to say so. ... oh wait...

:P

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2011, 11:45 »

Stand proud. Democrats are better, we just choose not to say so. ... oh wait...

:P

Keep it up we need a good political fight! ;D :P ;D :P ;D :P
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2011, 10:32 »

Keep it up we need a good political fight! ;D :P ;D :P ;D :P

We have them all the time, in Poly-Sci! (Hint, Hint)  ;)
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Content1

« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2011, 06:03 »
i can travel now,nothing holding me back. I have been putting in resumes every week.I wonder if I still have a chance at getting a nuclear job since I have been out for over 15 years.But from what I have read there are lots of jobs now and not enough trained people.I am trained just have to get retrained.is this silly thinking I may get back in?

I was out for 20 years.   Let me give you a hint when you write a resume.   Put all your nuclear experience together and state on the resume in not in chronological order.   I did so and though I had a 20 year gap, they focused on my groups of experiences and got the senior RCT position, working only once as a junior and once as a deconner.   4 years later in the business I revised it back to chronological order and minimize the non- nuclear areas.  It worked, and it is amazing how little I had changed in the field.   Be confident you can jump back into the deep water and they will believe you.

Offline Radwasted

• In nuclear war all men are cremated equal.
  • Light User
  • Sr HP Cal Tech
« Reply #17 on: Apr 10, 2011, 01:35 »
I wanted to get into Nuclear as bad as you did. ;D. I stuck with my guns and eventually I was afforded with a learning opportunity along side a 20 year Navy Nuke. I turned into a Rad Sponge in more ways than one. I took oddball jobs as they came along. Such as a waste segregation project for OPG and HEPA DOP testing for a northeastern nuke. The jobs are out there my friend, and if you are anything like me. With a little hard work the jobs will be there.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.” Max Planck

Offline thirstymick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Apr 11, 2011, 06:22 »
I got in by getting hired as a laborer/operator tech for a soil remediation...started asking the people with the meters questions and they gave me the d.o.e core study guide and when they needed people they trained me and tested me in. 

Offline Radwasted

• In nuclear war all men are cremated equal.
  • Light User
  • Sr HP Cal Tech
« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2011, 12:21 »
Congrats to you 8)Mick. You have a similar career path as I once did. Hard work and not being afraid of asking questions are the true work of being a professional. :D. Might I surmise that you passed the CORE. 8)
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.” Max Planck

Offline thirstymick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2011, 08:28 »
Yes I passed the CORE.  I took it with DeNuke while I was working for SHAW.  Due to a shortage in techs I have been fortunate enough to get a lot of job coverage experience in the last 6 months and now Im in the Lab so I have been lucky so far on top of being able to work local for the last 18 months.

Offline vorbeck

• Very Lite User
« Reply #21 on: Apr 20, 2011, 08:56 »
I was out for 20 years.   Let me give you a hint when you write a resume.   Put all your nuclear experience together and state on the resume in not in chronological order.   I did so and though I had a 20 year gap, they focused on my groups of experiences and got the senior RCT position, working only once as a junior and once as a deconner.   4 years later in the business I revised it back to chronological order and minimize the non- nuclear areas.  It worked, and it is amazing how little I had changed in the field.   Be confident you can jump back into the deep water and they will believe you.

I am Curently in nukes, because I was drafted, as an AOV tech.IF YOU CAN NOT GET IN THEN SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH YOU! we are short every THING!!!!!!!!!! Outage is one week over as of 4-20-2011 and Barlett is short people. because my cousin GOT SENT to Watts Bar for this out age. There are over 50% of the people new to nuke and you people can't get in???????????????????????????????????? WHAT ARE YOU DOING WRONG??????????????????????????

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #22 on: Apr 20, 2011, 09:11 »
I am Curently in nukes, because I was drafted, as an AOV tech.IF YOU CAN NOT GET IN THEN SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH YOU! we are short every THING!!!!!!!!!! Outage is one week over as of 4-20-2011 and Barlett is short people. because my cousin GOT SENT to Watts Bar for this out age. There are over 50% of the people new to nuke and you people can't get in???????????????????????????????????? WHAT ARE YOU DOING WRONG??????????????????????????

You really don't need to shout on your first post!  You will be remembered and not taken seriously!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline vorbeck

• Very Lite User
« Reply #23 on: Apr 20, 2011, 10:36 »
You really don't need to shout on your first post!  You will be remembered and not taken seriously!

Sorry, but I did not apply for nukes and I am going to roll over soon.  Sequoyah is starting soon and I have to go. We are short every thing and my company is using union labor(I am union and was sent) to fill slots. Later I am suppose to roll over to  Browns Ferry. I am suppose to be back at Bellefonte Training center in Hollywood, Alabama after Sequoyah for site training for Bellefonte. If any one wants any info post back and I will send it to you. Tonight is my only night off so reposting might be slow but I will get back in 7 days. My crew lost 6 people to go back to D.C.Cook and St. Lucie pulled 10 people in the last 2 weeks. My brother is on unit 2 Watts Bar and every one I know that wanted a job is at TVA. So what is up? Do people not want to travel? New to nukes and I was sent to fill empty slots so come on. I will provide info on request!!!!!!!

Offline vorbeck

• Very Lite User
« Reply #24 on: Apr 20, 2011, 10:54 »
Oh my god! OldHP you are in tennessee? So which plant are you at?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?