Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Few questions about acceptance into nuke program  

Author Topic: Few questions about acceptance into nuke program  (Read 25715 times)

Fermi2

Re: Few questions about acceptance into nuke program
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:25 »
your recruiter lied

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:28 »
Thanks, I also had a another question...My recruiter told me after the two years of school you go through in the nuke field you would have a college degree in Nuclear Operations or Engineering? Are there any other jobs that your training can award you a college degree?

Guys, feel free to contradict me if my info is wrong. :)

You'd be close (9 credits to an associates and 40 credits to a bachelors) degree in "Nuclear Engineering Technology, which is not the same as a Nuclear Engineering degree. Nuclear Engineering means you can design a nuclear reactor; nuclear engineering technology means you can operate one.

Here's the part where I tell you to go look it up. :) There's lots of info on this on these forums as well as the internet as a whole. But know that about.com is really outdated, so don't take it's info as "for entertainment use only".

Also, I know I'm still a noobish and naive, but I prefer to think the recruiters are just ignorant of what's actually going on with nukes. However, I have heard one of the other recruiters give a potential recruit the whole "NO means Navy Opportunities" speech.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2011, 11:32 by Styrofoam »

Fermi2

« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:31 »
nuclear engineering technology means so such thing

completing nuke school and qualifying on a reactor means you can operate one. your recruiter was lying.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:33 »
nuclear engineering technology means so such thing

completing nuke school and qualifying on a reactor means you can operate one. your recruiter was lying.

Huh. So what's the degree for?

Fermi2

« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:37 »
you don't get one. you get a certain number of credits that you can apply for a eventual degree but you get no degree at all for nps. it simply gets some of the course work out of the way. an net degree is useless.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2011, 06:12 »
For those who never pushed a Level 34 Half-Elf Mage over a hexagon map....that was the first episode of "Space: Above and Beyond". A convoluted sci-fi series where most of those nub Space Marines ( who are not killed in the epic first mass dogfight in Jupiter's Outer Rings ) engage in high-risk landings and dogfights throughout Earth's stellar neighborhood against Chiggy VonRichthofen.

Um, well, actually.....
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

stefanc2011

« Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2011, 01:28 »
Got a call about an hour ago...waivers passed.  I'm in.  Meps next week to pass the physical etc, which shouldn't be a problem considering how many of them I've passed in my lifetime ha.  Can't wait to get my shipdate and see whats next!
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2011, 01:28 by stefanc2011 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2011, 01:41 »
Congratulations! Keep us posted!

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #33 on: Mar 10, 2011, 02:10 »
Grats on the waivers! Woohoo!  [dowave] [dowave]

You took the NAPT and got nuke waivers approved, but you haven't taken your physical yet?

Guys, do different recruiters/MEPS do things in a different order?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #34 on: Mar 10, 2011, 02:34 »
Grats on the waivers! Woohoo!  [dowave] [dowave]

You took the NAPT and got nuke waivers approved, but you haven't taken your physical yet?

Guys, do different recruiters/MEPS do things in a different order?

Thats how it worked for me....

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #35 on: Mar 10, 2011, 02:47 »
Thats how it worked for me....

Crap, maybe it's not the real Navy. Maybe they're scammers, but I don't have any money! What do they want from me!?!?!??!
 [sos]

MacGyver

« Reply #36 on: Mar 10, 2011, 03:07 »
Got a call about an hour ago...waivers passed.  I'm in.  Meps next week to pass the physical etc, which shouldn't be a problem considering how many of them I've passed in my lifetime ha.  Can't wait to get my shipdate and see whats next!

MacGyver

« Reply #37 on: Mar 10, 2011, 03:15 »
Do not!!!!!!, for the love of all that is technogeek,....

high five an LCD monitor,.... :P ;) :) 8)

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, this is a secret intellegence test.  Don't tell anyone.  Okay?   :P :P :P

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #38 on: Mar 10, 2011, 03:27 »
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, this is a secret intellegence test.  Don't tell anyone.  Okay?   :P :P :P

Ha! My hand is bigger than yours! :P
Wait, what!?! How'd I do?

Oh, and good going OP.
It's funny, my recruiter drilled it into me that the people at MEPS would do anything they could to DQ (disqualify) me. They even said that the doctor would ask me if I'd ever been in a car accident and if I said yes, they'd make me get a "head scan". Chief said that.  ??? I had "asthma symptoms" and ADHD when I was a kid and the doctor just asked me a few questions about it and signed me off. Good guy. :)

It could also be that it was more than 10 years ago, so there are no records of it anymore and I had records showing there are no records. heh I love that. Thorough! What what! haha  ;D

shocker

« Reply #39 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:06 »
I got a waiver for knocking myself unconcious as a kid at boot camp... Forgot all about it until the guy at Great Lakes said something about falling out of a tree.  The records were 13 years old and we were able to find them in 20 minutes - you'd be surprised haha.  It might have helped that I managed to remember the correct 2 week time period of the incident though.

stefanc2011

« Reply #40 on: Mar 16, 2011, 12:19 »
Done with meps, etc. shipdate 20111114.  Hopefully can get moved up way sooner than that though, I don't want to wait 8 months but may have to.  oh, and the 12k sign on bonus is not bad either :) woulda done it for free though.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #41 on: Mar 16, 2011, 12:25 »

Is that a star date?

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #42 on: Mar 16, 2011, 12:36 »
Is that a star date?

Justin

hahaha these kids are just excited to get in the navy :) I noticed most of them are putting their dates and times in that format ;)

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #43 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:47 »
hahaha these kids are just excited to get in the navy :) I noticed most of them are putting their dates and times in that format ;)

Just doin' what we're told. ;)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #44 on: Mar 16, 2011, 03:38 »
Just doin' what we're told. ;)
Mantra of a true operator -> Dont do anything without questioning it. ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?