Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Am I crazy? Or is it just the MMPI?
honeypot

Author Topic: Am I crazy? Or is it just the MMPI?  (Read 13280 times)

dtucker89

Am I crazy? Or is it just the MMPI?
« on: Feb 12, 2011, 11:33 »
But seriously, I apparently answered enough of the questions on the MMPI to warrant an interview with a psych doctor.

I just wanted to know if there is cause for concern. Also, are there any success stories out there? Has anyone interviewed with a psych doctor and gone on to greatness (a job)?

-Daniel

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Am I crazy? Or is it just the MMPI?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2011, 12:17 »
You are a little lean on details, but a visit to counselor is not that uncommon and may just be a function life's experience. Someone just out of the military for instances stands a much greater chance of being sent than someone without military service. Not a bad thing the test is not pass fail. If it were you would not be sent to a psych.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2011, 12:27 by Marlin »

ski2313

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2011, 01:39 »
Depending upon your position at the plant, you may automatically get an interview with the psychologist regardless of how you answer on your MMPI (Ops, for example).

The lady I interviewed with (also a video conference) wasn't even given my MMPI results until we had already wrapped up.. When the mistake was caught (as I was leaving), and in-processing emailed the results to her, I went back in while she looked over the results of the test. After a few minutes she indicated to me that she had no further questions for me based on what she reviewed.

Graphic

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2011, 02:01 »
Having an interview with the psych isn't the worst thing in the world. There could be numerous reasons you have to have an interview. The obvious would be drug/alcohol problems. Then of course, as SKI said, some positions require an interview automatically. Then there are also times where people have 'clinical interviews' simply because of the way they answered their test questions.  You would be very surprised and intrigued at what the psych can figure out simply from the test. That's why a lot of the questions are repetitive in a way etc. They can tell when people are answering in a way that makes them look favorable etc. So there are many reasons it can happen.

Can a doctor deny you simply based on the MMPI-2? Yes. Does it happen often? No.  And even if he denies you that doesn't completely mean you have no chance of getting in. Once that is done you can get the opinion of two other doctors at many plants and get it reversed if they don't agree etc.

Anyways, I would say don't worry too much. Just another procedure to go through in the hiring process that many people go through. If we denied everyone that went through a psych hell there would be plenty of jobs out there  ;)

dtucker89

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2011, 02:09 »
Thanks guys, really. I am so relieved (not too relieved) that it is semi normal. I told my wife about the results and she yelled at me, "I KNEW you were crazy!"

She was so excited for me when she heard the news that I got a conditional offer of employment. Now she is brooding about trying to find a more sane partner.  :P

Just sucks, is all. I just don't want to be crazy and that be the reason for denial. That's a little embarrassing.  :-[

By the way, I am not crazy. lol  ;D

-Daniel

Content1

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2011, 02:22 »
My daughter once took a test for Taco Bell and failed.   She later took other tests and passed.   She is not crazy, but the tests can be.

nukewood

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2011, 02:41 »
In 31 years I have had to a  see shrink only twice; both times for clarification on potential religious questions.The Doc wanted to know why I answered yes to "do you believe their are demons? " If Jesus told us that we had the power to cast them out in Jesus name, they must be real.I have never been denied employment. However, last year I got an old buddy a job as an outage deconner. He failed to get hired as a result of the shrink interview which was conducted by phone and one way camera ,where only the doctor could observe. M--- was asked what do you do when you have bad dreams? M--- replied " I cast out those names in Jesus' name." After a long silence M--- asked the shrink," isn't that what you woud do"? Half joking ,half serious. The Doc replied "no I'm Jewish". M--- was denied access and must wait one year before applying again at that plant. I wish I'd had time to coach him before his interview. His humor was not appreciated.

i have.

Sun Dog

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2011, 03:28 »

My daughter once took a test for Taco Bell and failed.   

...and now she is an RP Tech...great.

Graphic

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2011, 04:21 »
Graphic - - - - what happened to your label?

It's only for the Security forum  8)

Nukewood, good story. In my opinion most psychs I know are pretty weird themselves lol. But each to their own. Some psychs are a little overboard in some circumstances which is why we have procedures in place to not let them have the final word.

Anyways goodluck Tucker, honest is always the best policy as you know by now  :)

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2011, 05:00 »
You could possibly be crazy.

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2011, 07:15 »
Usually you can divorce what makes you crazy, but it's expensive. And they all are correct in that it depends on which position you are applying for that will get an instant interview with the shrink. Ops, I&C, E-plan come to mind and you are re-interviewed and MMPI'd every 3-5 years. I've known a few that have messed with the Dr just because they can, but that is NOT recommended.

Don't sweat it... unless you really do see things other people don't.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2011, 07:54 »
You are a little lean on details, but a visit to counselor is not that uncommon and may just be a function life's experience. Someone just out of the military for instances stands a much greater chance of being sent than someone without military service. Not a bad thing the test is not pass fail. If it were you would not be sent to a psych.

One Flew Over Calvert Cliffs?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2011, 11:17 »

Depending on the administrator (utility, etc.) the profile or the number (x out of y) go to see the 'shrink' - been there, done that).  In general it is just an administrative matter.  When they changed the test in the early 90's everyone visited the 'shrink'.  And like others have said it depends on which job you are applying for, some require an automatic visit.  Others, if your profile does not match the majority, you'll be pulled to go.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2011, 01:42 »
I've enjoyed this thread, funny stuff.

It got me a bit curious though, if investigation on my forum signature (Asimov quote) might bring more attention to me than warranted (here we go with subjectiveness).  Any comments on that?

FYI, not in the industry. 

Yet. 

Hopefully.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2011, 11:39 »
When I took it back in 80's I think everyone had to see shrink.  Only questions he asked me was about how much I drank and/or used drugs.  He also asked about family history of insanity-- that one kind of worried me.    ;D
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

dtucker89

« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2011, 04:28 »
Yeah, my family is completely crazy. Not just: "Awww, you're crazy. Isn't that cute?"

Nope, my family is documented.
I hope they don't ask for that information. lol

-Daniel

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?