Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Facebook or NukeWorker?  

Poll

Which site do you frequent more?

Facebook
NukeWorker
Other

Author Topic: Facebook or NukeWorker?  (Read 30566 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Facebook or NukeWorker?
« on: Feb 22, 2011, 01:37 »
I was surprised to hear that some folks visit NukeWorker more than they do Facebook, so I thought I'd throw this poll up for fun.

Reminder: You can find us on Facebook too.

https://www.facebook.com/Real.NukeWorker
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2013, 11:24 by Rennhack »

Pman52

Re: Facebook or NukeWorker?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2011, 01:49 »
I don't have facebook anymore and it wouldn't matter anyhow.  I frequent Nukeworker more regardless...  ;)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:49 »
nukeworker is fun, and I've been on it longer.

facebook is for so many other parts of my life - kids, Scouting, sports, old friends, etc.

It's almost a draw..... and I'm not talking total time, just current use...

I really appreciate both!

8)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:34 »
I marked "other". I actually spend more time on "backyard chickens" and gardening sites then facebook or nukeworker. Figure I'll need something tangible for my retirement, the government and Wall Street are dead set to see I'm in the poorhouse with no money for food, utilities, or fuel. I'm hoping to upgrade from that refridgerator box under the overpass for retirement to a converted Cargo Container out in the boonies.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:00 »
That was easy. Never been on Facebook. Don't plan to.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:11 »
Family posts on Facebook, a mixed blessing. There is not a PolySci on Facebook so I spend more time here.  ;)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:15 »
Family posts on Facebook, a mixed blessing.

There IS a hide feature though.

MacGyver

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:32 »
There IS a hide feature though.

I don't think anything on the internet is ever lost or hidden.  I've included my thoughts (,like anyone cares,) and my opinions below.

10 reasons to delete your facebook account

Facebook: The 'Evil Interface?'

etc etc etc I could go on for hours.  Which would be as boring as duct taping a nub to the bulkhead.  And only because it's been done before.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2011, 07:35 by MacGyver »

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:14 »
Family posts on Facebook, a mixed blessing. There is not a PolySci on Facebook so I spend more time here.  ;)
Couldn't agree more.  Finding out your sweet little niece scored a perfect 10 on the Kama Sutra quiz is just plain icky!
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:45 »
Couldn't agree more.  Finding out your sweet little niece scored a perfect 10 on the Kama Sutra quiz is just plain icky!

Like DDMurray, I can know too much about my relatives. NW all the way!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2011, 12:31 »
The Legion of Decency and I have voted Facebook as the " 2011 Tool of the Devil "  :old:

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2011, 12:37 »
Maybe Zuckerberg is going long on oil futures? Imagine if Saudi goes up in flames...

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:34 »

I have tried to remind them that the posts are public and permanent but when you are 13 to 24 you "know it all" so the struggle continues.  :old:

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:49 »
Well, I must say that Facebook is so much more user-friendly.
You can take a phone pic, upload it and all your friends can see it within 60 seconds.
You can put out an invitation to a party and have people look at the guest list, decide if they are going, etc all in one click.
Its gonna be hard to beat Facebook brother.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2011, 12:43 »
Its gonna be hard to beat Facebook brother.

Not trying to.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2011, 01:50 »
While I can appreciate the overt "usefulness" of a mass network of "Friends", I find too many people in my generation RELY on facebook to maintain friendships and networking. Call me crazy, but I prefer a good old fashioned hand shake and meeting for a beer then updating my "status" ever ten minutes.  I tried the facebook thing for a while, and was swamped with people pestering me that, quite frankly, wanted nothing to do with (morons from high school,  people from training command that I never want to see again, etc)

Best thing I can think of about is the photo sharing capability. 

case in point, I was going to try out for a band, and the guy wanted my last name. I said "ok" and gave it to him. He said he spent 2 hours searching on facebook for me to see what I looked like (I dont have a facebook account). Would have been REAL simple to ask for a picture. Its leading towards some kind of "cyber stalking" which I find creepy. My story is VERY mild, but I know that it gets super creepy for some people.

Offline USMCRADCON

• Light User
  • Will train for spare change
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2011, 02:13 »
I check in on Nukeworker daily, Facebook only when I want to get a rise out of the easily agitated.
"Welcome to the show, you are now officially one of Jerry's Kids"

Sun Dog

« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2011, 02:18 »
I check in on Nukeworker daily, Facebook only when I want to get a rise out of the easily agitated.

Heck, you can do that right here!  We have C1.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2011, 02:29 »
You can take a phone pic, upload it and all your friends can see it within 60 seconds.

I think you did that a while back....

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2011, 02:45 »
Kind of apples and oranges. Most of the people in my "network" do not work or even care about the nuclear world we live in. This site is usefull for more specific reasons related to the work that we do, and to a lesser degree, keeping up with friends. Facebook helped me reconnect with dozens and dozens of old friends. In fact, most of my nuke family is on facebook as well as this site. Facebook is the one I frequent most for keeping in touch and sharing stuff.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

LaFeet

« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:36 »
Sorry... I check FB daily while on the road.  I Google"d" other and came up with "About 5,710,000,000 results (0.09 seconds)".  So I could not choose that one over FB. 8)

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:27 »
Sorry... I check FB daily while on the road.  I Google"d" other and came up with "About 5,710,000,000 results (0.09 seconds)".  So I could not choose that one over FB. 8)

Sorry but FB has destroyed my SIL's laptop twice in the last six months.  Although, he is as dumb as a box of rocks and not very careful - after a month in the house using my computer, I had to wipe it clean, FB has more lead in's to problems than it is worth!

YMO!  ;D ;D ;D
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:00 »

hahaha thats just NASTY

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:26 »
facebook

HeatherB.

« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:39 »
Hate to ruffle the feathers... but Facebook allows me to keep in touch with over 100 of my previous co-workers at different outages & some of my DOE friends too. We keep each other apprised of where we're traveling, who we've run into & what jobs have gone well, who's completing what training classes, what companies are staffing, who's paying what, and who's heard what from our different recruiters/industry friends.

Its much easier & faster to just Facebook each other and get straight answers & help from each other. On here, its a crap shoot as to how many snarky replies you might get when you post a question. A few helpful replies, but mostly not. Surprisingly, Facebook seems to be a lot more polite networking option. Shocker.

Also, the outage lists on FB are free... but you're job listings are definitely worth the visit.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?