Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Reserve option as post-JO sub officer

Author Topic: Navy Reserve option as post-JO sub officer  (Read 7671 times)

Caz

Navy Reserve option as post-JO sub officer
« on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:39 »
I'm a prior enlisted JO about to head from prototype to my first sub.  I'm about 90% sure I'll be getting out after my first tour for various family reasons, but at that point I'll have about 10-11 years active duty in, and I was wondering if the Navy reserves is a legitimate alternative to getting out completely.  The idea of retaining some military benefits, opportunities for supplementary income and still working towards a pension is tempting, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of jobs will be available and how demanding of an obligation it will be.  I can imagine them drooling over an already nuke Engineer qualified LT and essentially activating me and sending me back to subs to augment the fleet anytime we get into a new engagement.  That's obviously not what I'm looking for, otherwise I'd be better off staying in.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience in the reserves, or with reservists on subs, or perhaps any insight into other reserve jobs that might be available after I leave active duty.  In a perfect world, I'd love to sit back and do my 2 weeks a year + one weekend a month, then every now and then activate myself for a 6-12 month overseas billet to Korea (or somewhere else of my choosing) to break up the monotony of working from home and taking care of the fam.  Is that fantasy just a ruse to trick people like me into committing more time to the military serving at their whim and essentially defeating the purpose of getting out in the first place?  Or is there enough flexibility and control over your reserve career to spend a lot more time with your family and pick and choose your active billets?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Navy Reserve option as post-JO sub officer
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:56 »
I'm a prior enlisted JO about to head from prototype to my first sub.  I'm about 90% sure I'll be getting out after my first tour for various family reasons, but at that point I'll have about 10-11 years active duty in, and I was wondering if the Navy reserves is a legitimate alternative to getting out completely.  The idea of retaining some military benefits, opportunities for supplementary income and still working towards a pension is tempting, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of jobs will be available and how demanding of an obligation it will be.  I can imagine them drooling over an already nuke Engineer qualified LT and essentially activating me and sending me back to subs to augment the fleet anytime we get into a new engagement.  That's obviously not what I'm looking for, otherwise I'd be better off staying in.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience in the reserves, or with reservists on subs, or perhaps any insight into other reserve jobs that might be available after I leave active duty.  In a perfect world, I'd love to sit back and do my 2 weeks a year + one weekend a month, then every now and then activate myself for a 6-12 month overseas billet to Korea (or somewhere else of my choosing) to break up the monotony of working from home and taking care of the fam.  Is that fantasy just a ruse to trick people like me into committing more time to the military serving at their whim and essentially defeating the purpose of getting out in the first place?  Or is there enough flexibility and control over your reserve career to spend a lot more time with your family and pick and choose your active billets?

Don't go into the reserves.  If you don't know what an IA is, I suggest you research that.  You will go on them as a reservist.

Note that I've never heard of a reservist being activated to go to sea on a sub.  We have enough department heads that we don't need to recall folks to do those jobs.

Do your time and punch, or stay in.

Note that if you get a federal job after getting out, you can "Buy" your military time into federal service time.  Much better deal then reserves.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2011, 03:19 »
I also got out after my JO tour, did reserves for ~6 months and found it to be too tough to manage around my civilian job.  There are lots of guys who do it, though and since you're halfway there already you may have more motivation to stick it out than I did. 

I would recommend doing a shore duty though, it really is a win-win situation in my opinion.  You get an "easy" job for a couple years (at good pay) and generally you'll have a lot more time to search for jobs than you're going to have on the boat.  You do open yourself up to a possible IA however. 

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2011, 04:47 »

If you get out and get into the reserves what do you plan to do for a living?

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2011, 12:09 »
I would recommend doing a shore duty though, it really is a win-win situation in my opinion.  You get an "easy" job for a couple years (at good pay) and generally you'll have a lot more time to search for jobs than you're going to have on the boat.  You do open yourself up to a possible IA however. 
Or worse...a spot on some Admiral's staff working 16 hours a day + weekends.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2011, 03:48 »
Or worse...a spot on some Admiral's staff working 16 hours a day + weekends.

Transmission garbled...was that "a spot on some Admiral's staff standing front of the chowline and ship's store 16 hours a day + weekends." ?...over

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?